Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2019, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 893 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon:

I have been grabbing vitamins off the shelf for years because I saw them on a TV commercial or because someone told me I should. But I have no idea if what I am taking is a waste or not. Am I taking the right pills? Am I taking to many? Is there something better I should be taking?. Looking for some general advice.

I am male
I am 46 years old
I am a little over weight (5'7 and 180 pounds)
I have no trouble falling asleep, but staying asleep or having a good sleep is a different story.
I always feel sluggish, I have no energy at all.
My memory is not as good as it once was.

I currently take 3 different pills.

Mornings when I wake up:
Health First Cal-Mag I take one pill.
Jamieson Multi 100% complete for Men I take 1 pill

Evenings before bed:
Jamieson Melatonin - 10MG - I just started this maybe 4 days ago, it has not even been a week yet.

Health First - Cal-Mag - recommended dose is 2 pills but it does not say on the bottle if this is based on 2 pills or per pill

Elemental Calcium - 150MG
Elemental Magnesium - 75MG
Elemental Zinc - 5MG
Vitamin D - 100IU

Jamieson Multi 100% complete for Men:
Vitamin A - 400MCG
Beta-Carotene - 1000MCG
B1 - 4.2MG
B2 - 4.6MG
B3 - 16MG
B5 - 12.5MG
B6 - 5.5MG
B12 - 12MCG
C - 180MG
D3 - 20MCG / 800IU
E - 26.8MG AT / 40IU
K1 - 120MCG
Biotin - 54MCG
Folate - 400MCG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 03:15 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I'll first comment on the 10mg Melatonin..why are you taking this HIGH a dose? When do you take this 10mg of Melatonin....it's published that for melatonin to work one needs to take it 1-2 hrs before ready for sleep. But this high dose, kinda shocks me. I've read some others take that much too but I still feel a shock.

In comparison I take:

1/2mg Melatonin
500 mg Inositol
500 Tryptophan

Takes these about 1 hr before sleep time.

I'm 80 so I don't know how I can help you....

Multi vits are OK but I don't take them anymore.

I'll just say you are young and I did not start supplementing until I was 57 or so.

Exercise and diet is what you need to focus on. You do carry extra weight for your structure and you could work on that. The sleep issue is another thing.

Do you have issues you want to address besides the sleep and the weight?

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-25-2019 at 03:29 PM..

Old 05-29-2019, 08:04 AM

1,625 posts, read 1,356,455 times
I would take the calcium/magnesium at bedtime. They will help with your sleep. I would consider buying separate pills and sticking with tried-and-true health food store brands. Buy a good quality magnesium and take a larger dose, like 400-600 mg. Magnesium glycinate may help more with sleep, but citrate and malate forms are good, too.

I would also buy a separate zinc and take that in the AM. Being a man, your body needs way more zinc than 5 mg. I take Country Life Target-Mins Zinc, which is 50 mg, and I am a woman. The zinc will help with your testosterone which may help with your energy level.

The multi is okay, nothing special, but is okay for the B-vitamins.

Take the multi and zinc with food in the AM. The calcium and magnesium can be taken with or without food, as your body prefers.

Do you feel the melatonin is helping you sleep better?

Also for the sluggishness and sleep, I would recommend thyroid-supportive minerals like iodine, selenium, and manganese. Eating seaweed is a great way to get all three of these in one go. If you'd rather take supplements, take these three in the AM, and then take the zinc with lunch or dinner.

I will second what Jam says about diet and exercise. What is your diet? How much protein do you get each day?

Exercising will help with both the weight and the sleep.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:42 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
I would consider buying separate pills and sticking with tried-and-true health food store brands.

That includes just about everything doesn't it? I guess just about everything except Walmart brands.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:27 PM

5 posts, read 2,335 times
I have been taking probiotics and honestly it's one of the essential health supplements to take alongside multivitamins. I take one of the strongest probiotics, which contains 12 different species of probiotics with over 25+ billion CFUs of them. I take it in capsule form, once a day on an empty stomach.

Some of the benefits I've noticed are:
- Improved gut health (I used to suffer from constipation, now I look forward to going to the toilet every single morning)
- Better mood
- My brain health has improved, and my ability to retain information has gotten better.

There are researches confirming the relationship between gut health and brain functions. Traditional Asian practices also emphasize intestinal health and its ties to brain functioning.

I hope this helps and feel free to PM me for more information regarding the supplements I take!

Old 05-30-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
That includes just about everything doesn't it? I guess just about everything except Walmart brands.
What I mean is national brands that have been around for decades that were originally (and still are) sold in B&M health food stores, as in the olden days before the internet. These companies have stood the test of time and produce quality products.

Some of the national brands still have production facilities in the USA or Canada. They do their own in-house quality control, testing for purity and potency of ingredients, and they follow cGMP (current good manufacturing practices).

Since the advent of the internet, many small "brands" have become available on places like Amazon, and many stores have contracted to produce their own lines of supplements. They may be just fine, but maybe not. More than likely they are produced in China out of who-knows-what ingredients with little or no quality control or testing. In my opinion it's a carpshoot on quality.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:50 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
What I mean is national brands that have been around for decades that were originally (and still are) sold in B&M health food stores, as in the olden days before the internet. These companies have stood the test of time and produce quality products.

Some of the national brands still have production facilities in the USA or Canada. They do their own in-house quality control, testing for purity and potency of ingredients, and they follow cGMP (current good manufacturing practices).

Since the advent of the internet, many small "brands" have become available on places like Amazon, and many stores have contracted to produce their own lines of supplements. They may be just fine, but maybe not. More than likely they are produced in China out of who-knows-what ingredients with little or no quality control or testing. In my opinion it's a carpshoot on quality.
B&M health food stores? I never heard of these stores, where are they located?

Like you stated, some of the national brands still have production facilities in the USA or Canada, but often their ingredients are sourced from China.

I think it is difficult to determine what brands are reputable. From some of the comments on here, it seems many people judge quality on word of mouth.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:20 AM

B&M = brick & mortar

Old 06-01-2019, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 893 times
Sorry for the late reply I was away for work and just seeing everyone's replies now.

Just want to point out I did not say I am concerned about my weight, I only posted that in case it had anything to do with what I should take. I have a "beer belly" and that is it. A big one mind you LOL, but that is all. My diet is "lazy Keto". I found when I did Keto the proper way I lost some weight but I did not find I could keep it up, my cravings were too strong. So I am doing "lazy Keto". Exercise is none existent. I would love to but don't have the time for it. I work 10 hours a day, sitting 95% of that time and I have a 2 year old that keeps me busy when I come home.... All excuses I know, but facts of life for me.

I appreciate all of the comments and I am definitely going to make some changes based on them. I guess I initially posted this thread because doing Keto they say you must make sure to take 5000-7000MG of Sodium, 300-500MG Magnesium and 1000-3000MG potassium every day. I know a lot of this comes from the foods I eat and I know what I am getting as I track my food with an app and it breaks these out for me. But these are Keto requirements. I was not sure if there are others I should be making sure I get.

For example Noodlecat pointed out Zinc.. Nice catch and I will make sure to add that. And jaminhealth pointed out my dose of Melatonin. PS. I took that because I thought more is better LOL.. I was wrong, it made me groggy all day the next day. I stopped taking it after 3 days as it was effecting my work day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements