Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 08:07 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,991 times

Advertisements

So here I've been taking calcium for years, both as a pre- and post-menopausal woman (husband as well to supposedly make strong bones). Turns out that it doesn't prevent weakened bones and fractures as much as it increases the risk of heart attacks and stroke. It seems that it is safe to get calcium from food, but not from supplements that release too much too quickly into the bloodstream. Glad that I can save some money in the future not buying calcium. On to decide about multi-vitamins, lutein, and flax seed oil....

Calcium supplements linked to significantly increased heart attack risk, study suggests

What do y'all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 07:16 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
What do y'all think?
I think I'd rather see a study that wasn't taken from participants who were exclusively from Germany. I'd also like to know what kind of health these people were in before they became participants (something more than "normal diet assessed using food frequency questionnaires"). I recall the WHI study and the subsequent HRT scare....but then we found out that many of the women in that study were not in good health to begin with, e.g. had high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:43 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,750,857 times
I've always be an advocate of getting my nutrients from healthful food rather than a pill. Plus I absolutely hate swallowing those big things LOL!

Old 05-25-2012, 07:14 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,649,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I've always be an advocate of getting my nutrients from healthful food rather than a pill. Plus I absolutely hate swallowing those big things LOL!
Agree...had so much trouble taking my pregnancy vitamins...yuck! My late father was prescribed a large dose of calcium and wound up with kidney stones!

Old 05-25-2012, 07:30 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I've always be an advocate of getting my nutrients from healthful food rather than a pill.
But how do you get 1200-1500 mg of calcium a day? That's a LOT of milk, cheese, yogurt and dark leafy greens. I don't drink three glasses a day of milk--not even close--so per my physician, I take one 500 mg calcium with Vitamin D pill in the a.m. and one in the p.m.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:16 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,369,666 times
Calcium/Osteoporosis Supplements

I'm reading a wonderful book called "The End of Illness," by Dr. David Agus. Dr. Agus is a well respected oncologist who recently appeared on "Morning Joe" (MSNBC) and he was very impressive. The book covers many other topics besides cancer, such as supplements and which ones help and which ones don't. He also explains how some studies are much more legitimate than others, depending upon how they were performed. I highly recommend the book to any health conscious reader.

One topic he covers is bisphosponates (osteoporosis drugs, i.e., Fosamax, etc.) and how having healthy bones helps prevent the spread of breast and colorectal cancer. Apparently, strong bones can stop the cancer from invading them, i.e., keeping breast cancer from spreading into the bone, as recently occurred with a friend whose breast cancer invaded her sternum.

Don't believe every study that comes along. Not all studies are created equal.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:28 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
So here I've been taking calcium for years, both as a pre- and post-menopausal woman (husband as well to supposedly make strong bones). Turns out that it doesn't prevent weakened bones and fractures as much as it increases the risk of heart attacks and stroke. It seems that it is safe to get calcium from food, but not from supplements that release too much too quickly into the bloodstream. Glad that I can save some money in the future not buying calcium. On to decide about multi-vitamins, lutein, and flax seed oil....

Calcium supplements linked to significantly increased heart attack risk, study suggests

What do y'all think?
I think you have to be careful with any vitamin supplement. I was recently put on B12 and had to stop taking it. My ears started to make ringing or rushing noises and altho I have stopped the Vitamin B12, my ears still make noises. Yes, I did hear about the Calcium supplement and was kind of aware that it could be an issue. I take blood pressure medication and one of the things they tell me to stay away from is Grapefruit and it is because of the calcium in the grapefruit. It is more than likely ok to drink a glass of milk, eat an orange or get calcium from different foods, however, for some reason, the calcium in the grapefruit does not act well with blood pressure medication. Also, make sure you get lots of leafy green veggies for the calcium.

My husband just told me that what also happens with the calcium supplements is that it will give you a blast of calcium that mixes with cholesterol and causes huge issues in your blood; especially for the elderly...didn't know that one!

Old 05-26-2012, 06:18 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,369,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
I think you have to be careful with any vitamin supplement. I was recently put on B12 and had to stop taking it. My ears started to make ringing or rushing noises and altho I have stopped the Vitamin B12, my ears still make noises. Yes, I did hear about the Calcium supplement and was kind of aware that it could be an issue. I take blood pressure medication and one of the things they tell me to stay away from is Grapefruit and it is because of the calcium in the grapefruit. It is more than likely ok to drink a glass of milk, eat an orange or get calcium from different foods, however, for some reason, the calcium in the grapefruit does not act well with blood pressure medication. Also, make sure you get lots of leafy green veggies for the calcium.

My husband just told me that what also happens with the calcium supplements is that it will give you a blast of calcium that mixes with cholesterol and causes huge issues in your blood; especially for the elderly...didn't know that one!
Are you sure the noises in your ears are from the B-12? Maybe you have an ear problem that should be checked out by an ENT. Also, what study did your husband read about the Calcium? Was it a "double-blind, placebo-controlled study," which is the gold standard for clinical studies, because neither the participants nor the researchers know who received the real thing or the placebo, which is an inactive pill that looks like the vitamin, until the study is complete.

I repeat--don't believe everything you hear or read. Check out the quality of the study first. My sister-in-law stopped taking Fosamax because she read a negative article about it in a magazine. A year or so later she found out she had the very worst case of osteoporosis and had to have intervenous injections to try to stop the osteoporosis. SO, BE CAREFUL...

Old 05-26-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post

Grapefruit inhibits absorption of certain medications.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
But how do you get 1200-1500 mg of calcium a day? That's a LOT of milk, cheese, yogurt and dark leafy greens. I don't drink three glasses a day of milk--not even close--so per my physician, I take one 500 mg calcium with Vitamin D pill in the a.m. and one in the p.m.
a few cups of non-fat organic yogurt
tofu
blackstrap molasses
almonds
greens greens greens (collard, spinach, kale, turnip, mustard, bok choy,etc) I stuff greens into everything I make! Tonight is homemade spaghetti sauce full of kale.
calcium fortified soymilk
brocolli
almond butter
sesame seeds
oatmeal
beans

I shoot for 1000-1200 mg.

I find it interesting that the countries with the highest dairy consumption also have the highest incidence of osteoporosis.

Best of health to you, CAforNow!

Last edited by bongo; 05-26-2012 at 06:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements