Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 07:26 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Florida Health’s HealthierYouFL.org website now urges Floridians to “Talk to your health care provider about how certain supplements or foods containing vitamins and minerals might help boost your immune system, such as zinc, vitamin D, vitamin C and quercetin.” These are all well-known supplements that have been shown to have a positive impact on your COVID-19 risk.

I have taken them routinely for years, along with many other vitamins and never get colds or flu. My Covid case was so mild I wasn't sure what was wrong. Afterward a doctor confirmed I had had Covid and now have natural immunity.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/florid...m_medium=email

The Epoch Times? Really? They're not a reputable source, you know.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:45 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
And your degree is in what exactly?
The quote says these will boost your immune system. My doctor put me on those when I had Covid.
Seems their degree is in political hype, not science.

Old 12-28-2021, 11:27 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
And your degree is in what exactly?
The quote says these will boost your immune system. My doctor put me on those when I had Covid.
"Boost your immune system" is using weasel words with no medical meaning - it's the only language that can be used with supplements since they aren't tested for efficacy by the FDA - because they aren't actual drugs.

You can fill in the blank on whatever you want "boost" to mean - so depending on your imagination it could be a miracle drug!

After spending 10 minutes burrowing through the florida website this is what I found:

"Optimize your health by getting outside, staying active, and eating foods rich in vitamins and nutrients.

Vaccines continue to be widely available in Florida. For more information on eligibility and to find a vaccine near you, visit: FloridaHealthCOVID19.gov

Talk to your health care provider about how certain supplements or foods containing vitamins and minerals might help boost your immune system, such as:

Zinc
Vitamin D
Vitamin C
Quercetin"

So double/triple weasel words - "MIGHT HELP BOOST your immune system" - so maybe a little bit....what a JOKE! I guess if you're a drowning man you might be confident with such weak endorsements but no one else should be.

Last edited by reneeh63; 12-28-2021 at 11:36 AM..

Old 12-28-2021, 12:07 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
"Boost your immune system" is using weasel words with no medical meaning - it's the only language that can be used with supplements since they aren't tested for efficacy by the FDA - because they aren't actual drugs.

You can fill in the blank on whatever you want "boost" to mean - so depending on your imagination it could be a miracle drug!

"Supports your immune system" is another popular advertising phrase that means exactly nothing.

Old 12-28-2021, 02:01 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Sounds like a quack to me

None of these will prevent or cure COVID!

How about before you start calling people names (especially when you are incorrect), try doing a little research, or ask others if what is being claimed is valid or not.

Vitamin D deficiency is a well established risk factor for more severe disease process when it comes to covid. Though taking vitamin D will not "prevent covid", it does lessen the likelihood a person might need to be admitted or wind up in the ICU.
Other vitamins/minerals are key to a healthy immune system, zinc and iron being a few more.

I highly recommend a well balanced diet for everyone under normal circumstances, and for those who may be lacking in XYZ, taking a multivitamin to supplement your diet is a great idea.
That is especially true in todays pandemic to help keep your immune system in the best possible shape, to fight against viruses/disease.

BTW - if you have your doubts about what a total stranger is saying to you over the internet, fair enough. So just look up several of the things I mentioned, and their relationship in the fight against covid.

Old 12-28-2021, 11:24 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
He was a traveling salesman who sold physical therapy equipment for 20 years. At least that's what he claimed at one point in a thread about flying.

Next.

Very true

30 years as a pharmacist including the last several as a Clinical Pharmacist for a major Mail Order Pharmacy. 20 years Regional, National and International Sales Manager and Vice President of Sales and Marketing for 2 medical equipment companies in the middle

But during those 20 years (and all 50 years I held an active license, I just became Pharmacist Emeritus and let my license lapse this year, when I retired)

I maintained my license and did much more than the required continuing education (Med and Pharmacy, Virology and Epidemiology). Most at live presentations (not zoom) at major Pharmacy Colleges and Med Schools all over the US including UMass, Penn, Washington University in St Louis,Rutgers, U of Cincinnati (Go Bearcats), OSU, Duke, Columbia and others

Ohio requires:

Continuing Education Requirement
Pharmacists are required 40 hours every two years, all of which may be completed by home study. * A minimum of 2 hours must be in medication errors and patient safety and 2 hours in pharmacy law every two years.

I did upwards of 30 CEUS a year, all approved by The National Association of Boards of Pharmacy plus another 10-20 hours online (because I was not practicing, other than a day or two relief when I was home,

I felt that because the field was changing so rapidly I needed to stay ahead of those RPhs working in stores and hospitals)

I am also a Certified Diabetic Instructor (expires Fri night) which required hours and hours (days) of study and classroom instruction

I was National President of a prestigious Pharmacy Organization twice during that 20 year period and am now President of the local association or retired pharmacists

SO, newtovenice, I'LL STACK MY PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION AND KNOWLEDGE NEXT TO ANYONE'S AND BE VERY PROUD!

Next!

Old 12-29-2021, 09:34 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

SO, newtovenice, I'LL STACK MY PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION AND KNOWLEDGE NEXT TO ANYONE'S AND BE VERY PROUD!

Next!
I am still waiting for a reply to my post to you, as you claim to have a good education, but the way you dismissed the information that was proffered, implies something else.

I suggest you not focus on the messenger/s, and instead the message itself.

Old 12-29-2021, 11:30 AM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I am still waiting for a reply to my post to you, as you claim to have a good education, but the way you dismissed the information that was proffered, implies something else.

I suggest you not focus on the messenger/s, and instead the message itself.
You bring forward clinical proof on the information you proffered and I'll reply

Old 12-29-2021, 04:17 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The Epoch Times? Really? They're not a reputable source, you know.
According to Rachel Madcow or Jake Crapper or Media Matters?

Strangely, it's one of the fastest growing news sites in the world unlike the failing NY Times. Snowflakes and zombies can't handle the truth. Sad.

Old 12-29-2021, 04:18 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
BigPharma and the medical industrial complex doesn't want people preventing illness or diseases because they'd lose a lot of money. Pharmacists aka pill pushers would be unemployed by people who strengthened their immune systems with natural, safe remedies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements