Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2008, 11:19 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,651,077 times

Advertisements

Well here's a study out of U.C. Berkeley where they found that those taking 1,000 mg's daily of Vitamin C in the clinical study had drastically lowered their C Reactive Protein levels which is the marker of Blood Inflammation which can cause heart disease.

Vitamin C Lowers Levels Of Inflammation Biomarker Considered Predictor Of Heart Disease - Science Daily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 10:55 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,215,995 times
Not the least bit surprised by the findings of this study. I've been touting Ester-C on the Health Forum for this same exact reason. I don't know what type of C they used, it doesn't seem to say, but the same concept of Ester-C applies. Ester-C has what's called bioflavanoids. Bioflavnoids have anti-inflammatory properties that help fight disease. It's been my understanding that most diseases start via inflammation, so just by taking high doses of Vitamin C you could really protect yourself. The amounts they suggest on the back of bottles is way under what we should be taking and it sounds like this study suggests that.

The Ester-C product is considered a whole food supplement, which means it absorbs in your body better than a synthetic Vitamin C, so it would be interesting to know whether they used a synthetic or a whole food form for their study, my guess is they used a whole food form. It doesn't seem that they used a liquid form, which would be even stronger than a tablet........so imagine the benefits the study might have shown had they done that.

If you apply this concept to other diseases or ailments, I bet they will find just as beneficial results. I'll give you two examples where I have benefited from the anti-inflammatory properties of Vitamin-C:

1. allergies-allergens trigger inflammation and weaken the immune system. When I take large quantities of Ester-C, my allergies disappear.

2. Sciatica Nerve pain- most sciatica pain is due to inflammation. The Ester-C I take completely eliminates my sciatica nerve pain!

The above were major ailments that use to plague me. Thanks to Ester-C their no longer a problem. How do I know this? As soon as I stop taking the C, all my symptoms return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements