Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 05:54 AM

270 posts, read 733,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
My truck is a 1997.

We can't all be high rollers.
That's an old truck, Sean.

My husband drives a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. He has some rust issues on the underbody. He had wanted to undercoat the thing but never got around to it.

Yeah, the salt is deadly...I do know of folks that keep a crappy beater car for the winter and a nice car for the warmer months. It's always an option.

Before we bought our new van last year, we were driving a 1987 GMC Vandura conversion van. The thing was a freaking BEAST! Man it was in tough shape too...practically had to climb through windows to get in and out.

But our 3rd and then 4th babies came way before we were anticipating an upgrade from our sedan (you know...the post college-graduate-yay-I-have-money sedan) quite so soon. A friend gave us the van so we made do until we'd saved enough to buy our new van. We then loaded our four kids into the Beast, drove four hours to PA (cause we found their prices to be a few thousand less than in RI) where she promptly sputtered to her death right in the parking lot of the dealership.

God is good. :-) Gives us exactly what we need...not what we want. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 09:58 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,280,258 times
Snapped these two pics on my walk to Java Juggs this morning.

Old stuff like this is all over this area, in NY a 1997 is in fact old due to the salt. Here its just another year.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:01 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,280,258 times
BTW they don't put the year on the windows here. I'm guessing late 70's or 80's??

I know Ford trucks and I see ALOT of 73-79 Ford pickups here.

The first is a Toyota truck and the second is a Datsun F10. At first I thought the car was a Gremlin. Boy did me and my buddies raise hell in a Gremlin back in the day(early 80's).

Old 06-14-2011, 01:46 PM

655 posts, read 2,331,457 times
Default Homes - Suburbs north of Syracuse

Hello NorthStarDelight,

The following is just a small part of the info I want to send you BEFORE you make your trip to Metro Syracuse this July 2011. I know that you are not ready to buy a home yet but, wanted to show you examples of homes available in the northern suburbs. There are older, less expensive homes available in the same area too; not listed here.

Existing Homes>>

#1) http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...48726&AgentID=
#2) http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...52903&AgentID=
#3) http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...42418&AgentID= >>very low price for Radisson upscale community east of Baldwinsville
#4) http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...49812&AgenyID=

New Build Homes>>
#5) http://www.ryanhomes.com/community/n...-meadows/savoy >>east side of Cicero off Lakeshore Road/Whiting Road
#6) http://www.ryanhomes.com/community/n...-hunt/sorrento >>west edge of Cicero (Clay) off Rt. 31
#7) http://www.ryanhomes.com/community/n...heights/sienna >>west side of Baldwinsville near Rt. 690

The above is for current info and for your future research/consideration. Please keep watch for my larger information post which will be of more use to you for your July Trip.

grdnrman

Old 06-14-2011, 02:42 PM

57 posts, read 147,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
7 years old is "old" to you??

I park with my two buddies at work everyday and all three of our pickups are the same year.

Both of there's are more or less gone. The salt just eats stuff so fast here.

My truck still looks ok. My secret?? 10 years ago I bought in Florida and drove it North. Last van I had was a 1997 Dodge that I traded in 2006. The body was just gone on that sucker. And I washed that car. My truck has never been washed. Maybe Toyota uses better metal.
Haha...i guess 7 years isn't old but when you said once you drive a car off the lot it starts rusting I thought you meant a new car off a lot...not a car that is 15 years old. Yes if you buy a 15 year old car off the lot you can expect a lot of rusting around here...But new cars these days don't have that issue.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:53 PM

664 posts, read 1,029,787 times
My plow guy came with the the house. We couldn't manage without him. I thought I liked snow until We moved to Syr.OMG, it was awful the first winter but I think you will like it. I like FL at xmas time, you must think I'm crazy but after all this snow Palm trees with light bring a smile to my face.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:18 PM

Default REQUISITE Things For YOU To Do During Syracuse Visit - Part 1.

Hi NSD,

I'm finally getting to write the LONG POST that I promised you before your July trip to Metro Syracuse.

I think it is important for you to get the FULL IMPRESSION of Metro Syracuse, that you visit/see/experience several Suburbs in addition to Syracuse city during your July visit. I'm segmenting the various things that I think would be helpful for you to do, so you can go-back to or refer to any one segment/part in the future. PLEASE GET A PAPER MAP OF SYRACUSE/SUBURBS from AAA Auto Club or Barnes & Noble or Borders Books to refer to while visiting; the paper map will give you the FULL VIEW of Metro Syracuse/Suburbs=some people only use GPS which only shows you SMALL street sections at a time.

VILLAGES/TOWNS>>>

I recommend that you visit the following villages/towns: Baldwinsville, Radisson, Liverpool=downtown/Bayberry/Soule Rd-north area, Clay (altho much of Clay has a Liverpool postal address), Cicero, Brewerton, North Syracuse, Camillus/Fairmount area, Manlius/Fayetteville, Dewitt/East Syr., Skaneatles. .. I have left-out some suburban areas; add some suburbs if you want to.

BALDWINSVILLE. Go to the center of the village=Route 48 @ Route 370-and park your car at one of the free parking lots. You can walk from the parking lot to the bridge over the Erie Canal/Seneca River. There is a sidewalk and businesses on both the north side and south side of the waterway. Walk along the Canal/River sidewalks to view the waterway and possible boats cruising past. On the south @ west side of the canal is the Lock 24 Restaurant ( http://www.lock24restaurant.net/orde.../1/Photos.aspx ) which has indoor dining and outdoor dining patio overlooking Canal Lock 24 thru which boats pass; a short walk west along the canal is an area where boats can dock/tie-up. Back to B'ville center-just east (200 feet) is the B'ville Diner ( www.bvillediner.com/index.php AND www.bvillediner.com/menu.php ) a 1950's retro design diner serving breakfast/lunches/dinner/etc. which is open 24 hrs.; the diner has been popular in B'ville for over 60 years. Walk or drive around any other part of Baldwinsville center that you want to.

RADISSON. A nice Homes and Industrial Park Development (Budweiser Brewery facility) just east of Baldwinsville. Radisson's borders are=on the south is Route 31, on the east is the Seneca River, on the north is Potter Road, on the west is Sixty Road. There is no "downtown" at Radisson. You can enter the residential part of Radisson on Drakes Landing Rd., Willett Pkwy., or Stanford Drive. I think you should drive around/view the residential streets in Radisson. The Industrial part of Radisson is west of Willett Pkwy. .. Radisson has biking/walking/jogging trails throughout the forested residential areas, a golf course, large ponds, quiet/peaceful streets, wildlife=rabbits/deer/birds/ducks/geese/squirrels/fish/etc. .. A very nice "village".

LIVERPOOL. This a very large area with 3 post office zip codes 13088/13089/13090 spread across 2 Townships=Salina & Clay. The downtown village boasts access to the big Onondaga Lake Park, a village square, Heid's Hot Dogs/Ice Cream Shop ( http://heidsofliverpool.com/ )(a landmark), Retreat Restaurant ( http://retreatrestaurant.com/ ), Library, Grocery store, and other shops & businesses. Walk the sidewalks, drive around the original downtown area, ride the tram/trolley through Onondaga Lake Park.

Lvpl-BAYBERRY. This is a newer area than the original downtown village. Bayberry is mostly located along Oswego Rd./Route 57 and consists of a large residential area, shopping/business strip from just south of John Glenn Blvd. northward to Blackberry Rd., and the northern entrance to Onondaga Lake Park on Long Branch Road. Several apartment complexes are located in the Morgan Rd. - John Glenn Blvd. area.

Lvpl-EASTERN Section. This a large residential area with some business sections. This eastern section is located along several streets: Old Liverpool Rd., 7th North St., Hopkins Rd., Henry Clay Blvd., Buckley Rd., W. Taft Rd., Bear Rd., & Wetzel Road. Several apartment complexes are located along Henry Clay Blvd.

Lvpl-SOULE RD./Aurora Tract/Oswego Rd./Rt. 31/far north. This is the newest part of Liverpool. Here you will find the newest various price range homes with more being built. This is a very popular home area/neighborhoods. A Very Major Shopping/Business area of several shopping plazas-Mall-Restaurants-Groceries-Motels-Banks-etc. has developed along Route 31 @ Soule Rd. (near Rt. 481). A second lesser shopping/business strip is located along Oswego Rd./Rt.57 from about Wetzel Rd. northward to Route 31.

I would suggest that you drive around the Soule Rd./Buckley-Wetzel Rds. areas to see those residential neighborhoods. Also you should drive along the Route 31 @ Soule Rd. (near Rt. 481) area to see that business area.

The large Woodard Industrial Park is located between Morgan Rd. & Henry Clay Blvd. in Liverpool.

CICERO. Currently the fastest growing township in Onondaga County. The "village" (not incorporated as a village) of Cicero basically has a south border of Interstate 481, a west border near Lawton Rd., a north border near McKinley Rd., and an east border near Eastwood Road = Not exact borders. The new residential developments of various price ranges between $160K to the high $300K's in Cicero continue to be built on streets off Lakeshore Rd., off South Bay Rd., off Whiting Rd., off Cicero Center Rd., and off Thompson Rd./Island Rd. .. Existing homes are available for a low of about $120K and Up+. .. I suggest you drive around some residential streets off Lakeshore Rd. and off South Bay Road-south of Route 31. .. Lakeshore Rd. and South Bay Rd. run eastward and northward to the Oneida Lake shoreline/lakefront. I suggest that you drive 3.8 miles eastward [from Interstate 81 Cicero-exit] on Lakeshore Rd. to Borio's Restaurant ( www.borios.biz/pano.html (broken link) ) [just past Lakeshore Golf & Country Club] where you can walk to Borio's lake-edge location to get a great view of Oneida Lake and 2 islands; then continue 0.8 of a mile farther eastward on Lakeshore Rd. to a small Oneida Lake picnic park="Joseph F. William Memorial Park/Town of Cicero Park" where you can park free and get another good view of huge Oneida Lake. There is a large new-build home and existing home area with a Clay postal address on the west-edge of Cicero along Caughdenoy Rd., Lawton Rd., Stearns Rd., & Maple Road. There is a large shopping/business area of shopping plazas/restaurants/car dealers/banks/grocery stores/etc. along Brewerton Rd./Rt. 11/Circle Dr. @ Caughdenoy Rd. AND a secondary lesser business area along Route 31 from Rt. 11 eastward to South Bay Rd. .. I suggest you see the Brewerton Rd./Rt. 11 Cicero business area.

I will continue later-I have to leave now.

grdnrman

Old 06-23-2011, 11:55 AM

Default REQUISITE Things For YOU To Do During Syracuse Visit - Part 2.

Hi NorthStarDelight,

I'm back to continue with my Post for you.

VILLAGES/TOWNS>>>

BREWERTON. This is a smaller Syracuse Suburb which continues to grow. This "village" is located directly north of Cicero at the far west end of big Oneida Lake where the Oneida River-begins & (Erie Canal) runs westward. I think the biggest asset that Brewerton has is that it has great potential as a boating/marina/water based suburb for those people who love to be on or have easy access to lakes and rivers for water based sports activities. There are several home developments completed at Brewerton with more in the planning stages. Lakefront property is scarce and at a premium. A very few beautiful mansions have been built on lakefront properties and there are a lot of older "camps" and year-round homes existing on Muskrat Bay Rd., Long Point Rd.={I especially like}, and Beach Road. Some of the homes are very nice and some of the "camps" are rustic/run-down and probably will be demolished in the future so modern nicer homes can be built on these valuable lakefront properties. What surprises me is that no semi-high-rise Condo buildings (with views) have not yet been built on land (southshore or northshore) close to "downtown" Brewerton to have beautiful views looking out/overlooking the gorgeous view of Oneida Lake; if this was Florida or the Carolinas, or California - semi-high-rise Condo buildings (with views) would have already been constructed probably including boat dock facilities. As Brewerton exists today, I especially like certain current aspects that Brewerton has. **** The main/first asset is big enjoyable Oneida Shores Park which offers swimming, picnicing, boat launch facility, camping, and private party buildings/facilities; drive east 0.8 of a mile from Interstate 81-Brewerton exit, on Bartell Road to reach the Park. ( http://onondagacountyparks.com/oneida-shores-park/ ) .. >NSD< maybe you want to go see/view Oneida Shores Park=entry fee is charged. **** The second asset that Brewerton has is 3 waterfront view location Restaurants with indoor dining rooms and outdoor waterfront Patio dining areas=you can even cruise your boat right up to the Restaurants-dock your boat and go enjoy a meal at these 3 Restaurants. #1) Castaways Riverside Restaurant, east on/at 916 County Rt. 37 [northshore] near/at Route 11, Brewerton, Ph. 315-668-3434, ( www.castawaysriverside.com/about.html ); #2) The Waterfront Tavern Restaurant, 204 East River Rd. at the northeast side of the Rt. 11 bridge, Brewerton, Ph. 315-676-3126, ( www.thewaterfronttavern.com/ ); #3) Calypso Cay Restaurant, 11 Dockside Drive, at the northwest side of the Rt. 11 bridge, Brewerton, Ph. 315-668-5108, ( www.calypsocayrestaurant.com/index.html `OR` www.calypsocayrestaurant.com/location.html ). >NSD< I would suggest that you go to the Castaways Restaurant outdoor Patio dining area to see the river/lake shore view=you don't need to have a meal there unless that's what you decide to do. **** The third asset is the very good Marinas and boat storage businesses located at the northeast shoreline area at Brewerton where the public can rent space to keep their boats at lakeside for convenient cruising Oneida Lake & River to avoid transporting your boat from home for every boating outing.

NORTH SYRACUSE. A traditional older village directly south of Cicero. The Syracuse International Airport is located on the east side of Interstate 81 in North Syracuse; some industries/commercial businesses/warehouses are located on East Taft Rd./north edge of the airport - similar businesses in MATTYDALE on East Molloy Rd./south edge of the airport. The shopping/business area for North Syracuse is located along Main Street/Brewerton Rd./Route 11 on the south from Northern Lights Traffic Circle (Mattydale) northward to Route 481 (Cicero). There are also some businesses on Taft Road. The MAIN POST OFFICE for the Syracuse Region and the mail sorting facility for all of the middle of New York State from the Canadian border north/south to the Pennsylvania border AND from the mid-Mohawk Valley east/west to the Waterloo area is located on East Taft Road near Interstate 81 and the Airport. >NSD< Previously I've mentioned to you the small free weekly published "newspapers" (Pennysaver/Scottsman/Eagle/Legend/others) where you could place your "Handyman Work Wanted Ads"; these FREE NEWSPAPERS are available to you/the public at the Main Post Office outdoor front entry stored in metal box dispensers/containers. I suggest that you stop at the Main P.O. and pick-up copies of these free publications to take home with you for future reference.

CAMILLUS/FAIRMOUNT. These 2 Suburbs are on the westside of the city of Syracuse and built on the lowlands west of Onondaga Lake and up the hillsides to the top of Onondaga Hill. The Camillus/Fairmount area has decent middle-class 1950's - 1960's established neighborhoods and some newer built homes. I consider this suburban area as a nice place to live. The main shopping/business area for Camillus/Fairmount is along West Genesee Street from about Fairmount Fair Plaza/Wegman's on the east, westward to about Camillus Mall (Kasson & Knowell Rds.). .. I suggest that you visit/see that business strip. For a good impression of the residential areas, I suggest that you drive around the any of the neighborhoods off the following streets: Knowell Rd., Winding Way, Hinsdale Rd., & Onondaga Rd./Rt. 173.

MANLIUS/FAYETTEVILLE. These eastern Suburbs are the most upscale of any at Syracuse. Doctors, lawyers, company presidents, other professionals as well as regular middle-class people live in this area. You'll find older well maintained homes, beautiful newer large homes, and gorgeous Mansions on the meticulously, perfectly cared-for properties located in these 2 suburbs. At Manlius, many neighborhoods are built on the hillsides; Enders Rd., Eagle Village Rd., Brickyard Falls Rd. . Several main roads converge at downtown Manlius and that's where you will find the village business area of many small businesses. A unique feature near downtown Manlius is the fenced Swan Pond where you can stand and watch Swans paddle around the pond. At Fayetteville, the landscape is more flat or gentle rolling terrain on which the neighborhoods/homes are built. At the center of Fayetteville, several streets converge and small businesses are located there. The MAIN shopping area/stores=Towne Center Plaza for Fayetteville and Manlius is located at the intersection of E. Genesee St. @ N. Burdick St.

DEWITT/EAST SYRACUSE. These are 2 long established east side Suburbs. East Syracuse is a working-class village that was originally centered around the building of the railroad through the Metro Syracuse area. Later in the 1950's more neighborhoods were built especially on the northside and in more recent times more brand new home developments have been built on the east side of Interstate 481 on streets off Manlius Center Rd. like Fremont Rd. & N. Burdick St. .. Dewitt has been a nice home area for many years on streets off E. Genesee St., Jamesville Rd., Randall Rd., & Thompson Rd. .. LeMoyne College is at the Dewitt area. A Very Major shopping/business/mall/restaurants/plazas area is at Dewitt/East Syracuse along Erie Blvd. East/Rt. 5 and on Bridge St./Manlius Center Rd./Rt. 290. .. >NSD< I would suggest that you drive around/see this shopping/business area even if you don't do any shopping.

SKANEATLES. The MOST UPSCALE countryside Suburb of Syracuse. Millionaires, Mansions, and regular folks too, live in lovely Skaneatles village on Skaneatles Lake one of the Finger Lakes southwest of Syracuse. At the center of the village is a nice village park and gazebo on the lakeshore. There are many little shops/boutiques/stores/eateries on the village-center streets. Many famous people have visited friends who live in Skaneatles including President Bill & Senator/Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. Republican politicians too, TV & Hollywood Stars, other well-known people and MOST IMPORTANT=LOTS OF REGULAR/ORDINARY PEOPLE/FAMILIES have enjoyed pleasant trips to Skaneatles village. >NorthStarDelight< - You decide for yourself whether or not you want to visit Skaneatles.

SYRACUSE METRO WEATHER & RADAR REPORT>>>

Any time you want to see the CURRENT WEATHER REPORT forecast from a local Syracuse TV station, click on the following Link Line and the REPORT will appear on your computer monitor.

http://www.9wsyr.com/content/weather...r9_static.aspx

I will be Posting additional information for you in my next Post.

grdnrman

Old 06-23-2011, 02:18 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,529,781 times
Excellent info, grdnrman - this is very much appreciated.

I'll be printing out your descriptions and use them as I cover Onondaga County in my daily excursions during my week-long stay in Syracuse. I have an awesome street map of the whole country, but it's just in digital form, I'm hoping to get my copier tech friend to make a large-format copy of that thing to use while I'm up there...hehe. I do have a city map which I got last year, and two state maps, including the "I heart NY" map that I sent off for...lol.

Although I won't arrive in SYR until the 19th, I'll be leaving for Michigan / Ontario on the 11th, so I'll basically be out of the South for a total of 16 days...a nice break from our relentless summer, for sure.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:44 PM

Default REQUISITE Things For YOU To Do During Syracuse Visit - Part 3.

Hi NorthStarDelight,

Following is additional information for you to review for your up-coming visit.

PRIMARY SHOPPING/BUSINESS AREAS AROUND METRO SYRACUSE--Concise list>>>

****>>Very Major Shopping/Business Area
***>>>Main Shopping/Business Area
**>>>>Ordinary Shopping/Business Area

SYRACUSE city.
Carousel Center Mall, 1 Carousel Center Drive, near the intersection of Hiawatha Blvd. @ Interstate 81; south end of Onondaga Lake. Typical Mall businesses.

LIVERPOOL(Clay) far north. ****Very Major Shopping/Business Area.
East and West along Route 31 @ Soule Rd. (near Rt. 481). ..Multiple Plazas & one Mall & stand-alones.

LIVERPOOL--BAYBERRY. ***Main Shopping/Business Area.
Along Oswego Rd./Rt.57 just south of Long Branch Rd. northward to Blackberry Rd. (near John Glenn Blvd.). Several plazas & stand-alones.

CICERO. ***Main Shopping/Business Area.
On Brewerton Rd./Rt. 11 @ Caughdenoy Rd. & on Circle Dr. & on Rt. 31 East.
Several plazas & stand-alones.

NORTH SYRACUSE. **Ordinary Shopping/Business Area.
On Main St./Brewerton Rd./Rt. 11, from the south at Northern Lights Traffic Circle northward to Rt. 481. Plazas & stand alones.

CAMILLUS/FAIRMOUNT. ***Main Shopping/Business Area.
Along West Genesee St. east and west from Fairmount Fair/Wegman's Plaza westward to Camillus Plaza/Knowell Rd. Several plazas & stand-alones.

MANLIUS/FAYETTEVILLE. **Ordinary Shopping/Business Area.
Towne Center Plaza at the intersection of E. Genesee St. @ N. Burdick St. ..Large Plaza & stand-alones.

DEWITT/EAST SYRACUSE. ****Very Major Shopping/Business Area.
Along Erie Blvd. East/Rt. 5 from about Thompson Rd. eastward to Genesee St./Rt.92. AND along Bridge St./Manlius Center Rd./Rt. 290 eastward to Fremont Rd. ..Multiple plazas & one Mall & stand-alones.

The above are the shopping areas I'm going to list.

FESTIVALS/EVENTS/ENTERTAINMENT JULY 2011 SYRACUSE REGION>>>

WELCOME TO SYRACUSE.
http://comehometosyracuse.com/

DOWNTOWN SYRACUSE.
www.downtownsyracuse.com/

ARMORY SQUARE - Shops, restaurants, nightlife, & entertainment. Any day of the year.
www.armorysquareofsyracuse.com/

New York State Blues Festival at the Inner Harbor near Bear Street/Rt.298 @ W. Kirkpatrick St., Syracuse. July 8-9-10, 2011
www.nysbluesfest.com/

Empire Brewfest 2011, Clinton Square downtown Syracuse, July 15, 2011, 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm
www.empirebrewfest.com/index.html (broken link)

Syracuse Nationals Classic-Antique-Street Rod Car Show at the New York State Fairgrounds, Syracuse, July 15-16-17, 2011. - 7000+ cars on display from 40+ U.S. states & from 4 Canadian provinces.
www.rightcoastcars.com/syracuse-nationals.php

28th Annual Great American Antiquefest at the Onondaga Lake Park-North End, Long Branch Road, Liverpool, NY, July 22-23-24, 2011
www.allmanpromotions.com/antique_shows/fest1.htm

41st Annual Syracuse Arts & Crafts Festival, Columbus Circle - downtown Syracuse, E. Jefferson St. @ Montgomery St., July 29-30-31, 2011
http://downtownsyracuse.com/static/C69

Northeast Jazz & Wine Festival, Clinton Square - downtown Syracuse, July 29-30-31, 2011
www.nejazzwinefest.org/home.aspx

Oswego Harborfest, downtown Oswego, NY, July 28-29-30-31,2011
www.oswegoharborfest.com/?page_id=130
www.oswegoharborfest.com/

This is the end of my Post for today. Watch for more.

grdnrman

Last edited by grdnrman; 06-24-2011 at 04:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area