Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 08:12 AM

655 posts, read 2,328,868 times

Advertisements

The Winter "Thaw" that we usually get every year in January, when we have about one week of mild and warm temperatures which melts a lot of the snow and ice we've received so far during the winter season, has finally arrived in February one month later than usual. The temperatures for the last few days have been in the mid 30's which has allowed for the snow/ice to start melting slowly on our home roofs, lowering the depth of snow on our lawns, and reducing the snow all along our highways. Today, Thursday, our temperatures are supposed to be in the low 50's, on Friday the mid to upper 50's, and still mild through this weekend. This is a nice break in the winter weather. I am especially happy to see the snow and ice build-up on everyone's roofs, melt down or disappear completely before more people see water seepage on the indoor walls of their homes or worse yet collapsed roofs under the weight of heavy wet snow and heavy weight ice build-up. I was in Liverpool one night a week ago and saw part of one home's roof that had collapsed that evening; a TV news crew was there reporting on the event.

Of course the snow melt does not usually take away so much snow that it interferes with snowmobilers or skiiers or other snow sports; just enough to get rid of some snow and give everyone a break of temporary warmer temperatures.

If anyone who is thinking of relocating to Metro Syracuse and was planning to visit our area during winter, THIS IS THE WEEK--RIGHT NOW--TO TRAVEL/VISIT SYRACUSE; at least for real ease of travelling around the area.

This year, 2011, BY THE END OF JANUARY, our region had already received an ordinary FULL WINTER'S AMOUNT OF SNOWFALL that we usually receive during one whole winter. This was great for winter sports activities but you sure had to monitor or clear heavy snow off roofs and do a little more shoveling sidewalks and plowing driveways. But things could be worse I suppose. North of Syracuse, at Watertown, Adams, Pulaski, Mexico, Parish, that area--the usual heavy snowfall region--they received even more snow than Metro Syracuse. Lake Ontario is partly responsible for heavy snowfall eastward and southeastward onto the landmass of the region. But I guess the melting snows are part of the reason why Central & Upstate New York are blessed with so many beautiful lakes/water supply, streams/rivers for fishing and electricity generation, and bodies of water for spring/summer/autumn activities/enjoyment. I'm sure everyone has heard of the droughts that have occured in some Southern States and the water starved desert areas of the Southwestern States and the huge Aqueduct systems that brings water from northern California and the Colorado River all the way down to southern California to supply Los Angeles and that whole surrounding huge region with water supply. Those States could be envious of our natural water supplies. Some New York State cities may pipe in water from a distance but WE have a lot more water resources--lakes/rivers/reservoirs--from which to supply our cities. Our state is so fortunate to have great water resources and to have SO MANY OTHER natural and man-made assets. We New Yorkers should have all our many resources/assets in mind next Thanksgiving time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 08:52 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,272,140 times
I think it may have ended.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:00 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I think it may have ended.
Yep - quite the short Winterfest thaw this year.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:59 AM

655 posts, read 2,328,868 times
The Thaw did not last as long as we might hope or as long as usual. The short-lived mild temperatures were pleasant but the best part to my mind was that the snow & ice buildup on home roofs melted to a major extent so that the elderly and limited income people may have avoided collapsed roofs.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:25 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,617,215 times
Roofs may have been spared, but many basements were not as lucky. Some sump pumps couldn't keep up with the thaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area