Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 05:08 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times

Advertisements

I would guess all hobbies have specialty store but can only speak to mine, woodworking.

Woodworking is severed by two national chains. Rockler and Woodcraft. Of the two Rockler is my favorite but they carry much of the same stuff so either works for me. I used to go to Boston a fair bit and hit the Danvers Rockler. It has since closed though Boston has two more. I also go to Woodcraft infrom the one downtown and luc Albany (since closed) and Clearwater Fl. But my every Month or so store is Woodcraft in Rochester. Buffalo has both stores but I prefer Rockler on the Transit road. Rockler has several stores in Seattle I am just back from downtown. Had lunch in Pikes Market.

The franchise rules of both chains are such that Syracuse will never grow enough. IIRC they have to have 200k in the city and such and such within an hours drive.

Sorta by accident I was in the University District of Seattle today. This SU has 42 thousand kids and 22 thousand staff so even this time of year you can imagine the area is very busy. Somewhere in the area(not sure where) is yet another SU a private school with 7 thousand kids plus staff. They have a Trader Joe's right in that area.

The hills here are crazy. OMG its insane.

I cannot beleive how much larger Seattle has grown just since I was last here. The Downtown area has like a whole new skyline. Its crazy to be in a DT with people.

I love Freedom of Expresso!!! I just don't like having so few choices. People opened two real high end shops, one in Oneida and one in Sherril but neither lasted. Starbucks is good but should always be the last resort. Lots of Starbucks here to be sure but for every SB's I'd guess you see at least 20 local shops (many are quiet small).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 05:16 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
C'MON, Rain!

That week-long forecast of clouds and rain every.single.day, that ToeJam posted several days ago, hasn't come to fruition, unfortunately... it sprinkled for exactly 3 minutes yesterday afternoon. Four days of sun and occasional, threatening-looking cloudcover... but no rain. <pout>

Old 06-10-2011, 05:21 PM

This whole country needs FAR LESS RAIN!!!!!!

In NY and SD and WA the crops are still being planted the second week in June!!!!

Why this important will become clear this Fall when you pay 15 bucks for a loaf of bread. In NY if the weather don't get to normal milk will be 10 bucks a gallon.

More to weather patterns then tanning and the beach.

Come on NY farmers, make hay while the Sun shines.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:42 PM

Doom!

Gloom!

The End.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:44 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
University of Washington is a state school and has that mamy students when combining underdrad. and grad. students.

I don't think not having certain woodworking stores has anything to do with not having "basics" on terms of stores. Here's a store I found that might work for you: Wood Etc Inc - 32mm Archtectural Cabinetry

Old 06-10-2011, 10:46 PM

I know how many kids it has, I Goggled it first so no one would complain about the numbers. 42K for Seattle, 20 for Syracuse and and 30 for Buffalo. Also a crap load of other schools. I can't go near a college for fear of the walls falling down like when I go near a church.

I didn't actually even intend to go anywhere near that area, I was just lost. If I was young and smart and rich boy does that look like a fun place to go to school. Must be a ton of college kids here. Anyhoo not gonna be me.

The link I don't understand?? Thats not a store its a shop. If I was back it the trades he would be my competition. CNY really has nothing for the hobby woodworker. Utica has a place thats pretty cool but its for pros so the hours are tough and the little nick kancks hobby people like are not sold there. I think they actually opened a branch in Syracuse. Mostly its mail order only in CNY. But its nice to see and hold the stuff once in awhile. Wood is tough to get also which is strange giving we have all the trees. Rome did have a place but they quit selling to the public. Pittsford (sp) near Rochester has a good place. Pulaski has the best place in the whole world for domestic hardwoods. For hardwood plywood(NOTHING like the crap at Lowes or HD) we are lucky in that Utica has a disturber for all NY and I think the NE. For non local hardwoods we are semi-SOL. I saw a pile of Honduran mahogany that made me tear up today. Priced right to which is not always the case with Rockler. There used to be a chain that handled the smaller towns called Woodworkers Warehouse and Syracuse had two. But the chain went TU 7-8 years ago and that was that.

By basics I mean nobody is gonna starve or go naked. Basic screws can be gotten at Lowes. Fastenal in Rome or Syracuse handles some needs. Basic finishes can be gotten at Lowes or even Walmart. The good stuff used to be impossible to get due to the solvents not being able to be mailed. That was a trip to Rochester everytime. Now things are waterbased and can be mailed.

A guy i know has the same problem with model trains. I would guess most any hobby would have trouble.

But you were trying to be helpful with that link and for that I say thank you.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:50 AM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
For model trains, try Walt's Hobby: Walt's Hobby Inc. Central New Yorks Premier Hobby Shop!

Old 06-11-2011, 06:56 AM

Rain- yay! And it stopped just in time, with no fronts coming until later today, for my husband and his friends to go golfing... as planned. I hope the sun starts shining a little more- I want to get the mowing done before he comes home.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:02 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times
I'm excited it's finally below 70 degrees in my apt! I've realized I'm not a fan of the gross humid weather... on Thursday my apt was 82 degrees and pretty unbearable. Still hoping I can make it without air conditioning... so far so good!

Old 06-11-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I'm excited it's finally below 70 degrees in my apt! I've realized I'm not a fan of the gross humid weather... on Thursday my apt was 82 degrees and pretty unbearable. Still hoping I can make it without air conditioning... so far so good!
The ONLY thing I appreciate about those nasty, humid, "Am I breathing or suffocating?!!" days is that I get SO MUCH DONE. lol - I'm already hot and sweaty, doing nothing... why not get all the really grubby jobs done? Painting, gardening, carpentry projects I've wanted to start, mowing, etc. It's perfect for that stuff. The day I got the rest of my seeds in, I'd been planning to put the plants in the following day.

And then a torrent of sweat splashed into my glasses. WTH? lol - I couldn't have felt any more disgusting so I finished it all with super sub-par vision and got good and grimey. :P But it was DONE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area