Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 11:50 AM

655 posts, read 2,328,492 times

Advertisements

Hello yuffiehighwind - Heather,

Following I've listed other apartment buildings that you may want to research/consider. I do not know about the interior condition of these apartments; you will have to inspect them and decide for yourself. You could buy new inexpensive minimum furniture at stores on Erie Blvd. East in case you don't want to use furniture that comes with a furnished apartment.

Much of Westcott Street and Euclid Avenue can be nice streets to rent/live in an apartment. You can search those areas too.

I think you can live on your own/alone as long as you take all precautions that any young lady should and probably especially after night darkness. It's always good to find a college friend who you trust/like and go places with them--safety in numbers.

www.orangehousing.com/

To see a street map of any apartment building address location, click on the following Link Line and enter the address information, then click on "GET MAP". .. www.mapblast.com/

SYRACUSE APARTMENTS>>>
Chestnut Crossing, 923 James Street,
http://www.bestapartmentsinsyracuse....nt/204998.html

Jefferson Tower, 50 Presidential Plaza - near Townsend St. Downtown Syr.,
http://www.bestapartmentsinsyracuse....nt/204994.html

Brownstone Studio Apartments, 605 West Genesee Street,
http://www.bestapartmentsinsyracuse....nt/205002.html

The James Apartments, 600 James Street,
http://www.bestapartmentsinsyracuse....nt/205000.html

Maplewood Gardens, 113C Croyden Lane,
www.apartmentfinder.com/New-York/Syracuse-Apartments/Maplewood-Gardens-Apartments (broken link)

I hope you find a nice apartment where you can be happy while attending SU.

grdnrman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 01:29 PM

4 posts, read 11,183 times
Default Ty

Thanks everybody!

Old 05-04-2011, 08:14 PM

4 posts, read 11,183 times
Default Wescott vs. complexes

Hi, I have another question. Or rather, questions.

Found a house with rooms available in the "Wescott" neighborhood, on Cambridge Street. AZS Properties? Ring a bell?

Also wondering if anyone knows anything about University Village - that rather pricey posh complex that I guess is mostly undergrads down by South Campus.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:41 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuffiehighwind View Post
Hi, I have another question. Or rather, questions.

Found a house with rooms available in the "Wescott" neighborhood, on Cambridge Street. AZS Properties? Ring a bell?

Also wondering if anyone knows anything about University Village - that rather pricey posh complex that I guess is mostly undergrads down by South Campus.
First thing I'd do is call up Syracuse University's office of off campus/commuter services. Syracuse University - Office of Off-Campus and Commuter Services They keep a list of student praise and complaints for various landlords, and it'd be good to see if they've heard anything.

University Village is a brand new complex that's supposed to be pretty nice, with a price tag to match.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:04 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
There are also apartments next to the Adams Street garage too. Can't remember the name of them though.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:15 AM

580 posts, read 1,173,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There are also apartments next to the Adams Street garage too. Can't remember the name of them though.
At Adams and South Crouse, next to the Chase bank? I forget the name (University something), but people seem to really like living there, despite the fact that it is one of the ugliest buildings on the Planet Earth, one one of the ugliest blocks, too.

Cambridge is a nice street near Westcott; it has a good mix of graduate student rentals and owner-occupied single family homes. No idea about AZS Properties, though. Could be a responsible owner, but could just as easily be an absentee landlord. That street, however, doesn't have any of the student slum houses that many other blocks do.

University Village Colvin is new and pricey (if not aesthetically pleasing). Not the worst location ever (especially if you're transit-reliant - free busses run to main campus with 10 or 15 minutes headways): 5 minute walk to a grocery store and a pizza place, 5 or 10 minute uphill walk to a student center, gym, and bar.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:22 AM

382 posts, read 1,531,438 times
What does anyone know about Highland Avenue?

Old 05-05-2011, 08:10 AM

Here's another website: University Area Apartments

Old 05-05-2011, 08:29 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerBrink View Post
What does anyone know about Highland Avenue?
Highland Avenue is in outer Sedgwick and runs parallel to James Street. The bulk of the housing stock is maintained, however many of the properties in the 100 and 200 blocks were converted into two and three family homes while others now have commercial uses. The section of Highland Avenue between Oak Street and DeWitt Street is generally more desirable as many of the homes are still single family, owner occupied and closer to the heart of Sedgwick. Technically, the 200 and 300 blocks are considered part of the Sedgwick Historic District, however the 300 block of Highland Avenue more closely resembles the architecture and housing stock of Sedgwick. Generally, homes range from 2,500 to 5,000 SF.

If you like architecture and want to live in an urban neighborhood with close proximity to downtown, Highland Avenue is an attractive option.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 05-05-2011 at 08:41 AM..

Old 05-05-2011, 09:34 AM

I agree with RollRoyce. It's kind of a hidden neighborhood with nice architecture. I've driven through during the day and night, and it's not that bad at all. You are close to Schiller Park, which is a few blocks down Oak St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area