Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:32 AM

93,384 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

I ask this, because you might hear people say there isn't anything to do, but also I've heard that many people don't realize what is in the area or close by. So, what are some places or even things that one could do within a relatively short distance?

I'll offer up some suggestions to start this off: Harriet Tubman Home, Inc. | Home

Seward House > Home

Smithfield Community Association, Peterboro New York ~ Welcome

Fort Ontario State Historic Site - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Welcome to Thunder Island!

Welcome to the Lincklaen House

Welcome to Sandy Pond, NY - Enjoy sandy beaches & great swimming, fishing, boating & more.

Aurora Arts and Merchants Association

The Village of Sackets Harbor NY - Experience the Treasures!

Fair Haven Beach State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Onondaga Historical Association

Clinton, New York: Historic Village of Clinton, NY Shopping & Entertainment Travel Guide

Fort Stanwix National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

http://www.hamiltonny.com/

Most of these places, by the way, are within the syracuse metro area and none I believe are more than an hour away from Syracuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 09:11 AM

845 posts, read 1,688,284 times
Good list. I would add a few and most of these are good with kids.

- Ithaca on a Saturday for the Farmers Market, the Science Center (for kids,) a walk on the Commons and maybe a walk, picnic and swim at Tremain Park (the one off Rte 13 is fave although the other one up at Taughannock Falls is also nice)

- Rochester for the Strong Museum (for kids,) a tour of the Eastman House and a visit to the adjacent International Museum of Photography

- Letchworth park because it's just so darn beautiful

- Old Forge for the Enchanted Forest Water Safari Park. It may be relatively compact in size but it has such great slides and rides that I think it's superior to Disney's Typhoon Lagoon at Disney World in FL. The wave pool and "lazy river" are much smaller at Enchanted Forest than at Disney but IMHO the rest of it is much better.

- Let's not forget Howe's Caverns. Good old timey fun and close enough to Cooperstown to take in the Farmer's Museum, the Baseball Hall of Fame or even go to Ommegang Brewery for a tour.

- Corning NY for the Museum of Glass. I have not been there since I was a kid (way back before cell phones, MTV and who knows what else) but have heard form recent visitors that it's a terrific place to visit and worth the drive.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:12 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
That would depend on the tank no??

Lets say 200 miles one way.

Watkins Glen is awesomeness.

The kids ALWAYS have a great time at the Herkimer Home in Little Falls.

Letchworth Park near Rochester is a reach for many but worth the extra if needed.

Albany has many things and many are free and have AC. <---weasel trick for hot Summer days.

Cooperstown is NY's true gem and Howe Caverns is near followed by a dip at Glimmerglass.

The ADKs are great after bug season but a tank of gas doesn't go far that way.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:17 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
Great lists!

I agree, anything in the Old Forge area or the various lakes up there. I go up pretty frequently and can make it there and back on a tank of gas. There's kayaking, canoeing, any other water sports, boat toars, hikes, nature trails, horseback riding, seaplane rides, etc. And as always, no trip to Old Forge is complete without a stop in the Hardware Store

Also, the Waterloo Outlets are an easy trip

Old 06-08-2011, 06:17 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times
Taughannock Falls/Park and visiting the wineries on the way north, back home through Auburn/Rte. 20.

Cooperstown. The baseball part is cool but their history/living village museums are REALLY interesting.

Saratoga - love going there and being "fancy" for the day. lol

Old 06-08-2011, 06:47 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,580,317 times
Letchworth is actually pretty easy to get to: it's all interstates (90 and 390) until you peel off for Mount Morris, the northern end of the park. I think it takes just about an hour and a half to get to Mount Morris. The "problem" with Letchworth is that it's so huge and you have drive quite a way within the park to see the best sights.

Corning is a nice day trip. Leave at 8 a.m., take the Thruway to Geneva, then 414 down beautiful Seneca Lake, and you'll have time for the Museum of Glass and street shopping, and then you can be back by 5:00.

If you want to do a wine trail closer to home, the northwest shore of Cayuga Lake is quick to get to and has a few of the better wineries.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:50 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
I'll add a few...

Utica Zoo

Utica Brewfest - Drink beer and raise money for the Utica Zoo

http://www.thewindmill.com/

Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce - Welcome to Skaneateles

Mid-Lakes Navigation | Cruising on Skaneateles Lake and The Erie Canal

Steamboat Landing Resort - Canandaigua Lake, NY, Lunch, dinner, dining, lakeside weddings, meetings &amp; Conferences, Public Boat Cruises and Tours, Private Charters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area