Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 05:42 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times

Advertisements

I don't know if the OP is a Vet or not but I bought my house from a vet(there is no way of knowing) so I took a nice fat tax increase first year.

The STAR program is nothing.

The OP should also look at whats included in that taxes of each area compared to NJ. In this area garbage is not included (small bill) nor is water (MASSIVE bill).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 06:03 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I don't know if the OP is a Vet or not but I bought my house from a vet(there is no way of knowing) so I took a nice fat tax increase first year.

The OP should also look at whats included in that taxes of each area compared to NJ. In this area garbage is not included (small bill) nor is water (MASSIVE bill).
For homes in Onondaga County, there IS a way to know. All you have to do is type in the address at ongov.net and it will give you all kinds of information and history about that home, including all the kinds and amounts of all exemptions that are applicable.

Our OCWA (Onondaga County Water Authority) bill is a pittance... and it actually went down this quarter, due to new billing changes... and the waste pickup is included with our village taxes.

This is why blanket statements aren't helpful and yes, I do get defensive when I see them made. Because they're not blanket truth... only true for the situation that poster is in. Maybe. :P

Old 07-29-2011, 06:10 PM

Then you and the other need to learn to present yourselves better.

State thing like this, "SOME parts of the Syracuse Metro area have reasonable water"

"SOME parts of the Syracuse Metro area include trash"

Because when you make statements like cheap water and free trash removal in the Syracuse Metro area when its only true in SOME areas it makes it seem like you either don't know what your talking about or do and are just lying.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:12 PM

93,334 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:

That is for Oneida, but not for Onondaga County in many cases.

Yes, being a Vet helps.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:14 PM

As it should.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:

State thing like this, "SOME parts of the Syracuse Metro area have reasonable water"

Because when you make statements like cheap water and free trash removal in the Syracuse Metro area when its only true in SOME areas it makes it seem like you either don't know what your talking about or do and are just lying.
I think when people are looking for homes or a place to live, it's largely going to be in Onondaga County and perhaps communities in other counties close to Onondaga County versus a community on the fringe of the metro like Oneida.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:21 PM

In terms of percentage of coarse but Oneida is a growing city within the Syracuse Metro.

But it is the fringe, I can literaly see the Utica Metro out my front window.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:23 PM

Here are some tax information: Taxes by State

The Tax Foundation - Property Taxes on Owner-Occupied Housing by County, 2005 - 2009, Ranked by Taxes as Percentage of Home Value (One year averages)

STAR - NYS Office of Real Property Tax Services

Statewide Full-Value Tax Rates, 2001-2010 (http://www.orps.state.ny.us/ref/pubs/fvtaxrates/statewide_10.html - broken link)

Office of Real Property Tax Services - Home Page

Office of Real Property Tax Services - Tax Policy & Exemptions (http://www.orps.state.ny.us/home/tpe_index.cfm - broken link)

Old 07-29-2011, 06:33 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
Quote:

I don't make those statements, Sean. That's why I'm so specific. I can't say what water, trash, etc. are like in other areas because I've not been a homeowner there. I stay out of those topics intentionally... because I have no experience to offer.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:31 AM

Phish, are you coming by yourself or will there be others with you? That can also help you to decide where you want to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area