Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 06:32 PM

845 posts, read 1,688,284 times

Advertisements

There are some very nice parts of Solvay up away from "downtown Solvay" in the area once favored by executives at Allied Chemical etc. Beautiful older single family homes with a few classic arts & crafts two family houses here and there. But the more well known affordable parts of Solvay are reputed to have gone downhill in recent years (word of mouth not personal experience.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 06:58 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,919 times
Tipp Hill might be a good fit too and their budget might go farther.
Tipp Hill Spacious 3 BR (http://syracuse.craigslist.org/apa/2690823407.html - broken link)
3 Bedroom in Tipp Hill Area (http://syracuse.craigslist.org/apa/2687524453.html - broken link)

Old 11-08-2011, 07:22 PM

107 posts, read 219,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
After looking at where it is on Prospect, I'd probably go for it. It is a block from St. Joe's and Little Italy/North Salina Street. Downtown is a few blocks away and there are plenty of restaurants close by. It is right behind HSBC Bank and next to the Open Hand Theater.

East Syracuse is another suburban village with affordable rentals.
I absolutely agree..go for it, that's a good deal, and that part of Little Italy has gotten way better in over the past year. They're doing tons to fix up that commercial strip there.

I lived at 611 N Salina, 2 years ago, right up the street in an incredible loft. I wouldn't feel so safe being back in the neighborhoods, but being right on the main drag where that house is, i think is safe. I used to walk from my place to Armory and back all the time late at night and never had any problems. And the restaurants in the neighborhood are incredible.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:52 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Tipp Hill might be a good fit too and their budget might go farther.
Tipp Hill Spacious 3 BR (http://syracuse.craigslist.org/apa/2690823407.html - broken link)
3 Bedroom in Tipp Hill Area (http://syracuse.craigslist.org/apa/2687524453.html - broken link)
True and another area that may work is the Park Ave. area behind Automobile Row, as there are still some nice, well kept homes in that area. This could help too: MapsKrieg - Syracuse, NY - Apartments, Rooms, Sublets, and Real Estate for Sale

Old 11-08-2011, 08:04 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syr83 View Post
I absolutely agree..go for it, that's a good deal, and that part of Little Italy has gotten way better in over the past year. They're doing tons to fix up that commercial strip there.

I lived at 611 N Salina, 2 years ago, right up the street in an incredible loft. I wouldn't feel so safe being back in the neighborhoods, but being right on the main drag where that house is, i think is safe. I used to walk from my place to Armory and back all the time late at night and never had any problems. And the restaurants in the neighborhood are incredible.
I second this, as I would drive through the area at night after work at times. If they have a car, driving to say the Wegmans on First North shouldn't be a problem, especially during the day.

By the way, they check out OC's Sports Bar BBQ, which decent. I believe that Barbieri's Diner is still open too.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:59 AM

580 posts, read 1,173,795 times
The ability to walk to Lombardi for groceries and Columbus for daily bread also would be a huge perk, as is the proximity to downtown and the hill.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:36 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
Thank you all so much, this info is great!! I'm calling the LL tomorrow to set up a time when I can meet up with him. They pretty much have their hearts set on this property, so I hope it works out!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:00 AM

I am going to view the apt on Sunday morning - will keep you posted!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:47 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,866,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Perfect, thank you! I sent these links on to them

Solvay... really?? I told them to steer clear of Solvay. I really wanted them to move to the Village of Liverpool so we could be neighbors, but the boyfriend really wanted to be within walking distance of downtown. He really took a liking to the downtown areas when I was driving him through there
Not sure if someone has suggested it, but have you given any thought to the Westcott area near the University Hill area? The urban vitality is great, always up there when I am in town. The greater university hill area mentioned in the article (including Westcott) is regarded as one of the top great neighborhoods in the USA by the American Planning Association, see planning and other Westcott links below:

Westcott, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Greater University Hill* ? Syracuse, New York
Westcott Street Cultural Fair
The Westcott Theater
CuseCar expands to Syracuse's Westcott neighborhood | syracuse.com
Westcott Community Center
Westcott East Neighborhood Association

I am also partial to Liverpool, since I am from there. I love the village, there is so much to do, the Liverpool Library, Freedom of Espresso, Cafe 407, the Retreat, Heids hot dogs, Onondaga Lake Park, Sharkey's, Village Burger, Nichols Grocery, etc. It has a very urban village feel to it, very walkable.

To Toejams point, Solvay is not that bad, the business district has revitalized and companies have moved into the village. I think they have a public utility there too. Considering your friends criteria (close to downtown) though, Solvay may not be right for them.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 11-10-2011 at 12:01 PM..

Old 11-10-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Not sure if someone has suggested it, but have you given any thought to the Westcott area near the University Hill area? The urban vitality is great, always up there when I am in town. The greater university hill area mentioned in the article (including Westcott) is regarded as one of the top great neighborhoods in the USA by the American Planning Association, see planning and other Westcott links below:

Westcott, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Greater University Hill* ? Syracuse, New York
Westcott Street Cultural Fair
The Westcott Theater
CuseCar expands to Syracuse's Westcott neighborhood | syracuse.com
Westcott Community Center
Westcott East Neighborhood Association

I am also partial to Liverpool, since I am from there. I love the village, there is so much to do, the Liverpool Library, Freedom of Espresso, Cafe 407, the Retreat, Heids hot dogs, Onondaga Lake Park, Sharkey's, Village Burger, Nichols Grocery, etc. It has a very urban village feel to it, very walkable.

To Toejams point, Solvay is not that bad, the business district has revitalized and companies have moved into the village. I think they have a public utility there too. Considering your friends criteria (close to downtown) though, Solvay may not be right for them.
Thanks so much for the info! She pretty much indicated to me that they want to be within walking distance to downtown, so Westcott is most likely out. I'll see how this apt viewing goes this weekend. If they're interested in looking at other areas, I will def send this their way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area