Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 06:29 PM

357 posts, read 968,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracuse2008 View Post
His pictures were taken well but do not show the other side of Syracuse.
The area you shot looks like Armory Square, the so-called preppy emulation of Greenwich Village NYC. You don't show the broken sidewalks that are jutting out waiting for someone to trip and split their head one; Salina St the seedy part of time, the fact that its very hard to get something to eat downtown past 4 pm (everything is closed)
While Armory Square may be the expensive preppy place to reside, only a few blocks away are projects (dangerous at night, this is no myth even right by Presidential Plaza.)
None of the forums show bad sections of their cities even though every city has them. Just go to the NYC forum. I don't see picture threads called the "slums of NYC" or "the seedy area right next to Greenwich Village" even though they have gobs of them! People post photos of the nice areas of NYC not the bad areas, I don't know why the Syracuse forum should be any different then other city forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 05:48 PM

13 posts, read 87,608 times
Default my answer

It is not an accurate 'picture' of what really goes on here- of course NYC has bed bugs and the cost of living 20 times as high. If you like to drink, smoke cigarettes and burn incense /smoke pot all day then Syracuse is the idea city for you. Myself being none of the above but from NYC area do not really fit in around here.
The main point being his pictures were taken like a true pro but are not an accurate depiction at all of Syracuse.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:45 PM

162 posts, read 274,446 times
Quote:
The main point being his pictures were taken like a true pro but are not an accurate depiction at all of Syracuse.
Incorrect. They are not a depiction of the Syracuse you see. Some people see it differently, like myself and pretty much everyone else on this forum, and so we take pictures accordingly. Yes, there are seedy parts, bad parts, but there are also a lot of great places that we choose to highlight because that is what shapes our overall image of Syracuse. Like beckyhuggs was saying, you could go virtually anywhere and take pictures of the crap that brings the place down. But most of us like Syracuse, which is why we are posting on here, and so we post pictures of the stuff we like because that is what Syracuse is to us. If you dont like it, fine, that is your opinion, but dont try to crap on us because you choose to focus on the negative dude

Old 10-27-2009, 10:28 PM

127 posts, read 324,592 times
everything looks really nice ! hopefully it is good on the winter as well, lol im moving to syracuse in november i wanted to ask you guys : what zip codes can I look for that are in armory square or kool area of downtown where i do not have to be car bound?? lik if i wanna go to the shopping mall or the restaurants in downtown i can do it by walking not driving... thank u !!

Old 10-28-2009, 07:22 AM

580 posts, read 1,174,098 times
Downtown (and the region's best restaurants, museums, nightlife, and two of three major sporting venues) is quite walkable, but it'd be a bit difficult to live in Syracuse without a car (or without being married to Centro, the local transit authority). For one thing, most major retail is outside of the center city. Also, downtown has only one (smallish) grocery store: C.L. Evers, Catering, Grocery Store, Deli, Syracuse Market, Shopping Downtown

It's nice, but has somewhat limited hours.

You'll likely see snow in November (and every month until March or April). If you really don't like snow, Syracuse might not be your favorite place. But if you want to take advantage of a new place, you'll find that winter is pretty enjoyable -- a lot of good outdoor opportunities for you (skiing, skating, et al.).

Zip for the Armory district is 13202, by the way. It is an area that offers a lot, but it's not a major metropolis by any means; don't get your hopes up -- it's not the same nightlife scene as even Ft. Lauderdale. Once you're settled, though, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:03 PM

13 posts, read 87,608 times
Default good luck Carol (read this)

Carol: the winter here is brutal, last winter abt 160" of snow( more than Buffalo, yes) And very, very, cold.
If you live downtown, your rent will be much higher than Tipp Hill or an area say a few miles away from that district. Look on Craigslist/Syracuse and you will see the prices for Apt hunting (careful, lot of scams on Craigslist!)
Armory Square is of course expensive although places like Clinton Towers are very bad, like projects in NYC. And Clinton Towers is relatively close to Armory Square. (you feel me?)
Right now Syracuse is not in good shape (as rest of USA) Most of the big plants closed yrs ago when Syracuse was pretty affluent.
Every place I lived in did not have roaches or bedbugs in Syracuse.
Without a car is very difficult here (cabs are all metered, minimum fare to go 1 block is 5.00 but many cab places will tell you 10.00 minimum.
That is bullcrap, so use say Dependable Taxi or another that has a 5.00 minimum.
The bus loaded w undesirables is 1.00 only here.
If you don't smoke, you won't like that stench coming in your apt as landlords here don't even want to hear about that, most people here are smokers and drinkers. If you look at a apt that is listed for say 680.00 a month, you have a very good chance of bargaining the so-called property mgr down to 650.00 eg. People are desperate for cash and tenants right now, so if you look now, you will get a better deal.
Hope this helps-

Old 10-29-2009, 08:18 AM

580 posts, read 1,174,098 times
Places like Clinton Towers are nothing like "projects in NYC," unless you mean "sharing the characteristics of a highrise residential building."

It's all too easy to give dishonest advice about things with which one has no familiarity.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." Mark Twain

Old 01-28-2011, 12:54 PM

379 posts, read 513,119 times
I read through this whole thread, and its over 1 year old. I'm noticing that the threads now seem a lot more positive about the direction of Syracuse than this thread. Has that much changed in Syracuse since 2009?

Old 01-28-2011, 03:19 PM

664 posts, read 1,028,416 times
The photos are great, thanks!

Old 03-14-2011, 05:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,655 times
I was born and grew up in Syracuse; we lived in the 100 block of Forest Hill Drive in Eastwood. Ralph and Helen Beardsley lived on one side of us and George and Wanda Phillips lived on the other. I was in Miss Baker's kindergarten class at Huntington School. The year was 1950. Elsie Plato was Principle and Ma was in the Mothers' Club. I grew up, got married in 1972 and moved to Paris, France. I really appreciated the pictures that several of you took. I get nostalgic and remember how beautifully manicured James Street once was; homeowners in Eastwood took care of their property themselves, lived in the same house for years and looked out for their neighbors; you didn't have to lock your doors back then. The milkman brought glass bottles to the "milk door" at the side of the house. I remember Schisa Bros meat market, the Isabel (dress) shop, ACE Taxi had a hole-in-the-wall office. My grandmother paid Bud (one of ACE's regulars) to teach me how to drive. I'd practice driving behind the A+P (later the P+C) until I got my license. To this day I can parallel park with the best of 'em! There was Fanny Farmer's, Daw's Drug Store, Wagers Pharmacy run by George Phillips and Don Wager, and it used to have a wonderful soda fountain. Across the street was the Palace Theater run by Alfred DiBello and later by his daughter, Frances. Charlie Young's gas station was at the foot of Forest Hill Drive. The Anchor Room was just opposite.Those photos really got me reminiscing. Downtown was breathtaking in those days. Elegance was everywhere.Women wore hats and gloves. H.J. Howes Jewelers, E.W. Edwards and Son, Flah's, the Addis Co., Schraffts tea room, The Brass Rail on Warren Street, the Clark Music Company down by the Armory and and Woolworth's 5 and 10. This was the Syracuse of my youth and the one I think back on across the miles and with the passing years. Thank you again for the photos. Nancy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area