Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 01:25 PM

288 posts, read 511,978 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of buying a two family home...it's probably 5 miles north of Syracuse University
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 01:28 PM

288 posts, read 511,978 times
I'm sorry, 2.7 miles north of SU

Old 04-01-2012, 02:49 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,625,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
Better send extra condolences if that poor girl moves to Clay. That'd really condemn her to an unfortunate couple of years.
An odd suggestion given her stated preferences, don't you think?
It all depends on where in Southern California she is from. A commute from Clay is a cake walk compared to the almost ever commute in Southern California.

Something tells me the OP is a hit and run to the forum anyways, so it probably doesn't even matter.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:54 PM

580 posts, read 1,177,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
It all depends on where in Southern California she is from. A commute from Clay is a cake walk compared to the almost ever commute in Southern California.

Something tells me the OP is a hit and run to the forum anyways, so it probably doesn't even matter.
I know, I know. Having a bit of fun.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:30 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,287,042 times
Not for this OP maybe but in general.

Clay doesn't get much love here and I'll agree its not for me. But Clay (I'm not even sure what it is, it gets its own listing as a city but seems like more of a township) is getting to be a major area locally. I think soon it will pass Utica as the second biggest city in CNY. So while this forum may hate Clay CNY loves it.

And if one goes to residential areas of other States the growth areas look alot like Clay. Big houses on big lots surrounded by strip malls. To people moving to this area its very homey. Seems like most people "moving to" CNY are actually returning. Possibly having moved South with parents young and returning to take care of Grandma.

People between 20-40 raised in the South are not used to the way houses Upstate are packed one on top of another. They are used to bigger. And more bathrooms. And thats how things have been built the last 30 years or so. Of coarse not having the nut to pay for these houses is what got us where we are. I'd love to see some numbers on NY's low foreclosure rate comparing older stock that most people don't want but can afford with newer stock people do want but can't afford.

Sitting in heavy traffic in populated areas it often pops into my head how much I would hate it if I had to do it every day. A whole bunch I think. Not wanting in line to get to Disney but waiting at 3 traffic lights to get to Walgreens for a bar of soap. To people conditioned to traffic Syracuse emptyville non-traffic would be a gift from God.

So the home like feel of Clay with zero traffic would be a real homerun.

Of coarse if they all move here traffic will follow and it will be rinse and repeat.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:54 AM

94,274 posts, read 125,194,457 times
No one here "hates" Clay. It's just that it is a second/third ring suburb that is not in a central location and the OP doesn't need to live out there to find what they want.

Also, I question the no traffic aspect of Clay that has been mentioned. Check out Route 31 on a weekend during prime shopping hours. Traffic is not bad in the area, as a whole and I'm wondering if people that say that traffic is bad here, even live here.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:29 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,775,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No one here "hates" Clay. It's just that it is a second/third ring suburb that is not in a central location and the OP doesn't need to live out there to find what they want.

Also, I question the no traffic aspect of Clay that has been mentioned. Check out Route 31 on a weekend during prime shopping hours. Traffic is not bad in the area, as a whole and I'm wondering if people that say that traffic is bad here, even live here.
<raising hand> *I* do! lol - besides being pretty much flat, the scenery is boring and the feeling is claustrophobic. And I wish I could take a nap between 81 and its exit on 481.

^opinion^

Old 04-03-2012, 07:31 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,625,405 times
Chances are OP is from what you call a second/ third ring suburb. I say that because they state they are from Southern California and don't mention LA or San Diego. People out their either state the city they live in, the city plus the word area to state the city they live closest to (1st and 2nd ring), or Southern California (3rd ring). Just a hunch.

I wish the OP would come back to tell us how the visit was and where they are from which will help them on the right track.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:01 AM

94,274 posts, read 125,194,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Chances are OP is from what you call a second/ third ring suburb. I say that because they state they are from Southern California and don't mention LA or San Diego. People out their either state the city they live in, the city plus the word area to state the city they live closest to (1st and 2nd ring), or Southern California (3rd ring). Just a hunch.

I wish the OP would come back to tell us how the visit was and where they are from which will help them on the right track.
I understand all of that. I really do. My point is that the dynamics of metro areas in the Northeast are different, especially smaller metros, as they are or tend to be more dense. While they could still live in Clay in terms of commute, if they want to get a feel for the area, it isn't centrally located in a way where they can get around the various parts of the area in minutes. You can go with Clay, but it isn't necessary and makes trips to other parts of the area longer. At least with suburbs like DeWitt or in and around the village of Liverpool, you have various ways to get around, with or without using highways.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:19 AM

1,002 posts, read 2,004,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
<raising hand> *I* do! lol - besides being pretty much flat, the scenery is boring and the feeling is claustrophobic. And I wish I could take a nap between 81 and its exit on 481.

^opinion^
Me too, but I'm generally not a fan of suburban living in general. I place a high value on my 5-7 minute walkable-if-necessary commute, and walkable neighborhoods.

To each their own
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area