Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2007, 10:41 AM

39 posts, read 200,039 times

Advertisements

How is that area of the city? My kid is applying to Le Moyne's nursing program and will be doing clinical work at St. Joe's. We have heard that its a good hospital but are unsure of the area. We've haven't visited Le Moyne yet, so we're not sure of that area or campus either, though we have been told it's nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 11:35 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
The two areas are not dissimilar in mixed neighborhoods, a little bit of everything. For the most part both will be as safe as most colleges within medium sized cities.

LeMoyne is about two blocks from a main shopping artery, has nice homes on one side, older homes on the other, and a funky apt complex across the street. The Jewish community center is about a half mile down the road.

St. Joe's is similarly near a main street of stores in an older section of the city surrounded by older homes. It is a nursing magnet hospital and I believe they may have their own nursing school. Most of the heart surgeries in Syracuse are done at St Joes.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:39 PM

305 posts, read 1,808,509 times
Question St. Joe's and Heart Stuff

We're looking to move up in that area next summer.

The first consideration for us has to be location to the nearest and best cardiac facility (husband has congestive heart failure).

So, you're saying that St. Joseph's is THE place, right? Not Syracuse University Medical Center?

And could you tell me what part of town St. Joe's is in? That didn't come out right - what I mean to say is if we moved to say Manlius, would we be within a 20-minute really fast drive to St. Joe's?

Thanks.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:00 PM

Syracuse University Medical Center is a teaching hospital on the campus of Syracuse University just up the hill from downtown. Attached to it is Crouse Irving Hospital which is also very good, and a couple of doors away is the Veteran's Hospital. University Hospital has a large trauma center and heliport. St. Joe's is less than a mile away from these to the north between there and the Carousel Mall. All are easily accessible off Rt 81 which goes through the center of town.

There is another called Community General that is near Onondaga CC on the SW side of Syracuse, more in a neighborhood setting. All of these hospitals are good but St Joe's is best known for their heart procedures.

Twenty minutes would most likely get you to St. Joe's from Manlius thought the traffic can be bad between the village of Manlius and Rt 481 which feed into Rt 81. The sections that are between there and Dewitt may be a better bet.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:27 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,425,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Syracuse University Medical Center is a teaching hospital on the campus of Syracuse University just up the hill from downtown.
Not picking on you, but Syracuse University Medical Center does not exist. Syracuse’s largest employer is called SUNY Upstate Medical University. SUNY Upstate is NOT affiliated with Syracuse University. Just happens to be near SU.

University Hospital: Home

Also, I'd advise not living near St. Joseph. It's located on the city's near north side in a sketchy neighborhood. Not dangerous, but not exactly family friendly either.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:44 PM

Your right Bella, I must have taken it from the name from the previous post without thinking.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:18 PM

145 posts, read 498,974 times
My sister worked at St. Joe's she loved it but the pay was horrible - she was Department head and she was paid like a dishwasher....

Old 01-23-2008, 06:37 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,425,253 times
A plan to fix up that area of the northside.....

St. Joe’s To Unveil North Side Housing
Monday, January 14, 2008
By Greg Munno Staff writer
Five non-profit agencies are partnering with the city and federal governments to revitalize the neighborhood around St. Joseph’s Hospital Health Center on the city’s near North Side.

read more:
Syracuse.com

St. Joseph’s Hospital!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
View detailed profiles of: