Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,024 times

Advertisements

We are considering building a home from Miller Homes. Anybody with any experience with the Miller Homes. Please share your experience with us. How is their quality of home (Construction/Material). Other builder that we are considering is Ryan Homes. Buy Ryan doesn't do any customization. How these two builder compare on the contsruction quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 02:35 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,629,964 times
I haven't had first hand experience with either builder, but in general Ryan, Eldan and Summerset Homes (formerly known as Mufale Builders) have the worst reputation in this area. All three builders also have the cheapest prices per square footage which is likely the reason people purchase from them. Some people have said the quality of Ryan Homes has improved, but I am suspect. I drove through a new Ryan Homes development in Chittnenango a couple of months ago and could already see the siding on one of the newly built homes buckling. This home was completed a week or two prior and was already a disaster. About 10 years ago, some residents of Ryan Home developments in Baldwinsville and Liverpool were contemplating legal action against the builder due to shoddy work. I'm not sure if they pursued litigation, however this was all over the news.

Ryan Homes are very cheap because a lot of the items are a la carte which appeals to many of their homebuyers who are used to living on ramen noodles. I've driven through some of their lower priced developments and noticed many of the homes had gravel driveways (paving is an option in some of the cheaper developments). If this didn't make the neighborhood look blighted enough, most of the homes had junky looking cars, pickup trucks with big tires, and other garbage on their lawns.

I'm not an expert on construction, but have seen quite a few Miller Homes and they look well built even 15 years after they were constructed. Miller builds mostly in the northern suburbs including the Pastures in Cicero and Champlain at the Lake in Brewerton as well as the new community Inverness Gardens off West Taft Road. I believe they have also built homes in the Wildcreek and Plum Hollow subdivisions in Clay about 15 to 20 years ago. What I find attractive about Miller is that they are not a high volume builder but have plenty of experience.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 05-03-2012 at 03:10 PM..

Old 05-07-2012, 12:45 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,874,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I haven't had first hand experience with either builder, but in general Ryan, Eldan and Summerset Homes (formerly known as Mufale Builders) have the worst reputation in this area.
I spoke to my folks over the weekend and they said avoid Ryan homes at all costs, Summerset homes are ok. They were not sure about Eldan. RR may have more insight on Summerset and Eldan, just going by the "parental units" .

RR is right, stay away from Ryan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area