Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,074 times

Advertisements

My son is an excellent student (honor roll), and has a 504 plan due to an anxiety disorder. He also has many characteristics of PDD. Have to say I laughed at the post that recommended FM, not so much in favor of that district for special needs kids. There is a BOCES program for children with autism called SKATE. You may want to research that and see if that is right for your child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 09:19 AM

257 posts, read 750,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyreneespop View Post
Hi all,
I'm desperately trying to get off of Long Island and would love to relocate to the Syracuse area.Looking at the areas of Baldwinsville or Lysander and a few other outlying suburbs.One of my most important criterias is the school district.I've got 3 young boys ages 7,5 and 3.My 5 year old is on the autistic spectrum (pervasive developmental disorder or PDD to be exact) and it's very important that I not only find a good school district for my 2 "normal" kids,but I also need to find a good program for my middle guy.Are there any locals out there who can help?My family and I need you.
I don't want to misrepresent myself, so let me be clear. I am a fellow Long Islander, also considering moving to the Syracuse area. I am also a special education teacher currently working at a public school on the island. I also have a son that receives some services through special ed.

I've looked into a few of the districts, and IMO the districts that seem to offer the most variety/flexibility in programming for special ed are Liverpool, North Syracuse and East Syracuse-Minoa.

I've gotten some mixed reviews on these districts as a whole. If you go to greatschools.net you can get some basic stats, and compare it to your current district- and make a decision for yourself. The graduation/college stats are a bit lower than what we expect here on Long Island, but I think that's more a socioeconomic and/or cultural factor, and not so much the school itself. The closest school districts to here seem to be Fayettville- Manlius and West Genesee. I personally am leaning toward the Liverpool area.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your current district? Sounds like a mess. I am in Wantagh, and they have always been very accommodating.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:09 PM

93,241 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladibug1026 View Post
I don't want to misrepresent myself, so let me be clear. I am a fellow Long Islander, also considering moving to the Syracuse area. I am also a special education teacher currently working at a public school on the island. I also have a son that receives some services through special ed.

I've looked into a few of the districts, and IMO the districts that seem to offer the most variety/flexibility in programming for special ed are Liverpool, North Syracuse and East Syracuse-Minoa.

I've gotten some mixed reviews on these districts as a whole. If you go to greatschools.net you can get some basic stats, and compare it to your current district- and make a decision for yourself. The graduation/college stats are a bit lower than what we expect here on Long Island, but I think that's more a socioeconomic and/or cultural factor, and not so much the school itself. The closest school districts to here seem to be Fayettville- Manlius and West Genesee. I personally am leaning toward the Liverpool area.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your current district? Sounds like a mess. I am in Wantagh, and they have always been very accommodating.
Some other area SD's that would be on par with any LI districts are: Skaneateles, Marcellus, Westhill and Jamesville-DeWitt, along with the other 2. Another district I've heard that is accomodating to students with special needs is Onondaga Central. I knew of an old friend that moved back from AZ to that SD for that reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area