Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 01:41 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times

Advertisements

As Richard Prior used to say, "they got white people down South that scare white people".

The Japenese before WWII talked to Yohamoto. He said I went to college in America. We bomb Pearl Harbor they never mess with us again. No, no no. See he went to UCLA. He needed to go to the University of Mississippi. They got white folks there that scare white folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 11:27 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
As Richard Prior used to say, "they got white people down South that scare white people".

The Japenese before WWII talked to Yohamoto. He said I went to college in America. We bomb Pearl Harbor they never mess with us again. No, no no. See he went to UCLA. He needed to go to the University of Mississippi. They got white folks there that scare white folks.
ha ha great quote. I love Richard Pryor!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
People in the South can be rude too. My parents are from the South and have seen attitudes towards people from the North during many trips down there. So, bad attitudes are not exclusive to the Northeast and there is crossover in that regard.

Also, most Southern states have higher crime rates than NY and probably more so than Upstate NY.
As a whole state, yes, I believe there are some Southern states that have higher crime rates per capita than NYS. But going by city (which is more meaningful, as Buffalo crime doesn't affect Plattsburgh) many of the Upstate cities have higher crime rates than Southern Cities. Including Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Albany- all have pretty darn high crime rates.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:16 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
As a whole state, yes, I believe there are some Southern states that have higher crime rates per capita than NYS. But going by city (which is more meaningful, as Buffalo crime doesn't affect Plattsburgh) many of the Upstate cities have higher crime rates than Southern Cities. Including Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Albany- all have pretty darn high crime rates.

I think this is generally true of most cities in the Northeast and not limited to upstate. Cities in New England like Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport, New London, Norwich (CT), Providence, Springfield, New Bedford, Worcester, and Holyoke all have very high crime rates. I would also add smaller cities in PA like Stroudsburg, Reading, Lancaster, Wilkes Barre, and Allentown among higher crime areas.

There are a lot medium to smaller sized southern cities with very high crime rates like Jackson and Little Rock. Personally, I don't think I could ever live in the south, unless it was an affluent suburb of a medium to large sized city (ie Mountainbrook near Birmingham, etc). The stifling humidity, lack of snow, thick accent, food tastes (I hate ribs, BBQ, and fried food accept hashbrowns and homefries) and what appears to be a strong dislike of northerners among some segments of the populatoin. I can understand why many are attracted to the south, however I know it isn't for me as far as a longterm residence. I think there are many places in the south that sound like excellent vacation spots like the Great Smokey Mountains and cities like Asheville. I also think it depends on what area of the south. I thought Raleigh was pretty nice and places like Lexington, KY have some positives as well.

I have always had a fondness for many parts of the midwest, aside from the flat topography. I agree with Nancy that the political climate in the Pacific Northwest is very offputting. In many ways it is very similiar to the right wing, anti-government mentality in the southwest, just on the other extreme of the political spectrum. Suprisingly, there are communities south of Seattle that have the same politics as many places lin Arizona. I do find Seattle very attractive and believe the region's vibrant business community and concentration of tech workers provides some options to avoid people that are intensely political. Conventional suburbs with more moderate- leaning residents like Bellevue and Issaquah come to mind as opposed to very liberal, "crunchy" places like Mercer Island and Seattle's Queen Anne neighborhood. I think part of the reason I don't like Ithaca is it gives off the same vibe as Burlington, Portland, etc. Ironcially, despite having centrist political leanings, for some reason I like cars that have historically had the reputation of being driven by liberals. Vehicles like Subaru, Volvo, and Saab I find appealing. Station wagons are very practical and tend to be lacking in more conservative communities, aside from the Ford Taurus. I especially like the older Volvos, Saabs, Subaru Outback, Toyota Camry and Honda Accord wagons that very boxy and well maintained. There seem to be quite a few of them in the eastern suburbs and places like Cazenovia, Skaneateles, and the Bradford Hills/Meadowbrook section of the city. Granted I don't fit the age or demographic profile of a station wagon driver, when I'm settled, married, and have children I hope there will still be Volvo X Country and Mercedes E-Class wagons around.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 07-16-2012 at 10:45 AM..

Old 07-16-2012, 11:09 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Actually, given the population ranges they are in, it varies. Also, Southern cities are more spread out due to annexation and adding land, while Upstate cities haven't annexed anything since prior to World War 2. Crime also varies by where you are in Upstate cities too. Keep in mind that Upstate NY has some of the safest metros in the country: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 07-18-2012 at 05:59 AM..

Old 07-16-2012, 12:59 PM

Safe metro's, yes. But I am talking about the cities. This is where I get frustrated with people on here. Facts are facts. Syracuse has a relatively high crime rate. Albany has a high crime rate. Buffalo has a much higher crime rate, than even Atlanta. Lets not ignore that. I'm speaking about violent crime, not non-violent drug offenses or arson or anything. Violent crime- the kind most people fear will happen to them. Its a disservice to the people on here who are seeking to relocate by bring up land annexation or some other statistic. Other cities can use their own "bending" of stats to make their point.

Violent crime in Raleigh (the big, bad South): 414 per 100,000
Violent crime in Syracuse: 947 per 100,000
Violent crime in Albany: 1058 per 100,000
Violent crime in Buffalo: 1,357 per 100,000

More than double the crime rate and triple in Buffalo. Regardless if an area annexed its suburbs, its still in Raleigh and its still safer. And as a personal judgement, I felt safer in Syracuse than in Albany, and I've felt safer in Raleigh than Syracuse. The statistics clearly bear out what is evident to anyone traveling in these areas. Its not meant to put one area down- clearly, towns like Baldwinsville if they had been annexed would bring the overall rate down, and if all of Syracuse's suburbs were annexed, it might even be lower than Raleigh. But they are not and therefore, the facts remain.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I think this is generally true of most cities in the Northeast and not limited to upstate. Cities in New England like Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport, New London, Norwich (CT), Providence, Springfield, New Bedford, Worcester, and Holyoke all have very high crime rates. I would also add smaller cities in PA like Stroudsburg, Reading, Lancaster, Wilkes Barre, and Allentown among higher crime areas.

There are a lot medium to smaller sized southern cities with very high crime rates like Jackson and Little Rock. Personally, I don't think I could ever live in the south, unless it was an affluent suburb of a medium to large sized city (ie Mountainbrook near Birmingham, etc). The stifling humidity, lack of snow, thick accent, food tastes (I hate ribs, BBQ, and fried food accept hashbrowns and homefries) and what appears to be a strong dislike of northerners among some segments of the populatoin. I can understand why many are attracted to the south, however I know it isn't for me as far as a longterm residence. I think there are many places in the south that sound like excellent vacation spots like the Great Smokey Mountains and cities like Asheville. I also think it depends on what area of the south. I thought Raleigh was pretty nice and places like Lexington, KY have some positives as well.

I have always had a fondness for many parts of the midwest, aside from the flat topography. I agree with Nancy that the political climate in the Pacific Northwest is very offputting. In many ways it is very similiar to the right wing, anti-government mentality in the southwest, just on the other extreme of the political spectrum. Suprisingly, there are communities south of Seattle that have the same politics as many places lin Arizona. I do find Seattle very attractive and believe the region's vibrant business community and concentration of tech workers provides some options to avoid people that are intensely political. Conventional suburbs with more moderate- leaning residents like Bellevue and Issaquah come to mind as opposed to very liberal, "crunchy" places like Mercer Island and Seattle's Queen Anne neighborhood. I think part of the reason I don't like Ithaca is it gives off the same vibe as Burlington, Portland, etc. Ironcially, despite having centrist political leanings, for some reason I like cars that have historically had the reputation of being driven by liberals. Vehicles like Subaru, Volvo, and Saab I find appealing. Station wagons are very practical and tend to be lacking in more conservative communities, aside from the Ford Taurus. I especially like the older Volvos, Saabs, Subaru Outback, Toyota Camry and Honda Accord wagons that very boxy and well maintained. There seem to be quite a few of them in the eastern suburbs and places like Cazenovia, Skaneateles, and the Bradford Hills/Meadowbrook section of the city. Granted I don't fit the age or demographic profile of a station wagon driver, when I'm settled, married, and have children I hope there will still be Volvo X Country and Mercedes E-Class wagons around.
I agree about places like Ithaca, Burlington, and Portland. I'm center-left leaning myself and I can live liberal, but not "castrate all White men" liberal. Some of my favorite vehicles are older 4Runners, Jeep Cherokees, Subaru Foresters, etc. I like to go offroading, which is plentiful in Southern NJ pine barrens and hopefully there's some good places Upstate, so I guess a little right-wing redneck in me comes out. Subaru is coming out with a new XV Crosstrek that's just my kinda car, but it appears for now they underpowered it a bit:

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek finally arrives Stateside

Old 07-16-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Safe metro's, yes. But I am talking about the cities. This is where I get frustrated with people on here. Facts are facts. Syracuse has a relatively high crime rate. Albany has a high crime rate. Buffalo has a much higher crime rate, than even Atlanta. Lets not ignore that. I'm speaking about violent crime, not non-violent drug offenses or arson or anything. Violent crime- the kind most people fear will happen to them. Its a disservice to the people on here who are seeking to relocate by bring up land annexation or some other statistic. Other cities can use their own "bending" of stats to make their point.

Violent crime in Raleigh (the big, bad South): 414 per 100,000
Violent crime in Syracuse: 947 per 100,000
Violent crime in Albany: 1058 per 100,000
Violent crime in Buffalo: 1,357 per 100,000

More than double the crime rate and triple in Buffalo. Regardless if an area annexed its suburbs, its still in Raleigh and its still safer. And as a personal judgement, I felt safer in Syracuse than in Albany, and I've felt safer in Raleigh than Syracuse. The statistics clearly bear out what is evident to anyone traveling in these areas. Its not meant to put one area down- clearly, towns like Baldwinsville if they had been annexed would bring the overall rate down, and if all of Syracuse's suburbs were annexed, it might even be lower than Raleigh. But they are not and therefore, the facts remain.
No one denied the fact, but my point is that your outer city neighborhood in Raleigh is pretty much similar to someone living in Westvale in the Syracuse area. Syracuse is more dense than Raleigh and is 25.1 square miles. Raleigh is 116 square miles. So, I'm saying that has to be considered. Neighborhoods in Syracuse vary and you have to look at what leads to such crimes. Around here, it usually is based around lifestyle.

Also, this is a good website for crime information: Uniform Crime Reporting Statistics You will notice that many cities in NY were underestimated in terms of population.

I'm just trying to put the comparisons into proper perspective, as you can consider various options throughout the area. No need for people to get upset and stats can be bend in all sorts of ways.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-16-2012 at 01:28 PM..

Old 07-16-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I agree about places like Ithaca, Burlington, and Portland. I'm center-left leaning myself and I can live liberal, but not "castrate all White men" liberal. Some of my favorite vehicles are older 4Runners, Jeep Cherokees, Subaru Foresters, etc. I like to go offroading, which is plentiful in Southern NJ pine barrens and hopefully there's some good places Upstate, so I guess a little right-wing redneck in me comes out. Subaru is coming out with a new XV Crosstrek that's just my kinda car, but it appears for now they underpowered it a bit:

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek finally arrives Stateside
Just curious, but did you come across something like that in Ithaca?

Old 07-16-2012, 01:42 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
I spend sometime in Seattle meself and its hard to explain but NY is actually alot more left wing then they are. They are just louder.

My sister is your full on Left-Coast hippie. Had Volvo's, now Subaru. Cloth bags, thats not really hippie cause plastic bags are illegal where she lives.

But they are TERRIBLE about recycling, at least by NY standards. They worship the automobile. Guns are fairly legal and fairly common even among people that live on tofu and granola.

A surprisingly large number of people my sister and I grew up with landed in Seattle. The NY style left wing crazies found a home in the PNW.

The truly batchit crazy whacko lefties all seem to have found the way down to Ca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area