Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:57 AM

45 posts, read 267,496 times

Advertisements

I'm a current Long Island resident hoping to relocate to the Syracuse area in the summer of '08. I've narrowed down towns to either Jamesville or Camillus.

I would welcome any insight any other relocated Long Islanders might have about such a move.

Obviously winter is a big concern. But so is the job market in the Syracuse area. I'm also a little concerned about Destiny USA and how it might impact the area.

Taxes in the area seem to be on the rise. Also, how are utility rates?

I would like to start my own business once I get up there, if anyone has any experiences in this regard I would welcome any comments.

Thanks much!

Last edited by a private person; 10-01-2007 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: forgot a line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 09:01 AM

406 posts, read 1,451,629 times
We moved to Pompey last December from Islip. Great town, great area, nice people. We love it here.Jamesville and Camillus are very nice, however if you have not checked out the entire area I urge you to do so as many areas around Syracuse have much to offer .Taxes, while lower then L.I., are still quite high, figure about $3500 per $100,000 true property value. Your property will be re-assesed based upon the actual price you pay, so pay no attention to the taxes payed by the seller-yours will be more. If you are afraid of snow, don't move here. It is white all winter long. The difference is that here snow removal is taken very seriously. Last winter started late, no snow until Jan, but from then on it was white until spring. Utilities are somewhat less then L.I., but still not cheap. Gasoline is more expensive here. Food about the same as on L.I. The only thing much cheaper up here is real estate. I leave it to others to chime in about the job market. Good luck in your search.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:32 AM

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvang View Post
We moved to Pompey last December from Islip. Great town, great area, nice people. We love it here.Jamesville and Camillus are very nice, however if you have not checked out the entire area I urge you to do so as many areas around Syracuse have much to offer .Taxes, while lower then L.I., are still quite high, figure about $3500 per $100,000 true property value. Your property will be re-assesed based upon the actual price you pay, so pay no attention to the taxes payed by the seller-yours will be more. If you are afraid of snow, don't move here. It is white all winter long. The difference is that here snow removal is taken very seriously. Last winter started late, no snow until Jan, but from then on it was white until spring. Utilities are somewhat less then L.I., but still not cheap. Gasoline is more expensive here. Food about the same as on L.I. The only thing much cheaper up here is real estate. I leave it to others to chime in about the job market. Good luck in your search.
I really do want to make the move. We've vacation in central NY for years and have been hoping to go for it for a while now. As much as I think I would enjoy living there, I hear many mixed messages about the area. I'm trying to be prepared so there are as few surprises as possible.

We've looked around the whole area. Ithaca, Cortland, Syracuse, Utica... Syracuse area seems like it offers a bit of everything. Not too big, not too small.

I don't think the winter will be a problem. I enjoy the snow, but let's face it LI doesn;t seem that much of it these days. I'm certain there will be an adjustment period depsite favoring the winter weather..

Is Pompey part of the Jamesville-Dewitt school district?

P.S. - I'm coming from CI.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:20 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,318,516 times
I lived in Cicero NY and worked in Camillus. Camillus is nice and I think ws just rated a best buy. Snow IS AN ISSUE, but you will have that no matter what in upstate NY. Cocero is also nice-you may want to check it out.
Taxes are VERY HIGH there. We bought a home for $215 when we lived there and taxes were $8K a year!
Destiny...is it actually going to happen? When we moved there in 2004 they were talking about it still but no ground was broken.
Job market in Syracuse is poor. Carrier and Bristol Myers were big contributors and they are either done or laying poeple off like crazy.
Personally, I hated upstate NY-Syracuse in particular and you couldn't pay me to ever live there again, but that is me. We had neighbors who were born and raised there and LOVED it. Just depends on your cup of tea. WHat kind of employment are you going to have there?

Old 10-01-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
I lived in Cicero NY and worked in Camillus. Camillus is nice and I think ws just rated a best buy. Snow IS AN ISSUE, but you will have that no matter what in upstate NY. Cocero is also nice-you may want to check it out.
Taxes are VERY HIGH there. We bought a home for $215 when we lived there and taxes were $8K a year!
Destiny...is it actually going to happen? When we moved there in 2004 they were talking about it still but no ground was broken.
Job market in Syracuse is poor. Carrier and Bristol Myers were big contributors and they are either done or laying poeple off like crazy.
Personally, I hated upstate NY-Syracuse in particular and you couldn't pay me to ever live there again, but that is me. We had neighbors who were born and raised there and LOVED it. Just depends on your cup of tea. WHat kind of employment are you going to have there?
So far as the quality of life is concerned, it seems to me that upstate New York in general offers a much more relaxed and reasonable lifestyle than can now be found on Long Island.

The property taxes do trouble me. They are approaching what would be paid for a comparably sized house on Long Island. However, the schools in the Syracuse area are performing at or above the levels found on Long Island. This is an important factor in the cost. I expect a diminished business base is contributing to these costs.

I am not one for city life and do not expect to live in any city. I would frankly enjoy living in a more rural setting but need a more suburban setting for the next several years.

It is my understanding that the Destiny project has begun. I've not seen it personally.

I am currently in the computer business but will be changing professions once established in a new area. Ultimately I will open my own business.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:03 PM

Well, good luck!
I REALLY think Camillis or Cicero (previously spelled it wrong, lol) would be a good fit. Cicero was very nice...Gino and Joe's for pizza~

Old 10-04-2007, 05:42 AM

Default CNY - Syracuse - The good and the bad

I've been checking the several related Syracuse related boards and have noticed how passionate people are when discussing the current state of affairs in Central New York and Syracuse.

As a resident of the area, would you be kind enough to describe the one thing you love most about the area and the one thing you like least about the area.

Kindly be as matter of factly and direct as you can without being insulting or demeaning to others or the area itself.

From what I've been able to take from the various boards, the lifestyle in the area seems to be it's greatest attribute. While the job market seems to be it's most troubling issue.

What are your thoughts?

Old 10-04-2007, 10:26 AM

406 posts, read 1,451,629 times
I cannot speak to the job market as I am retired. I can state that I do not miss anything ( with the exception of visits to NYC and possibly the ocean) about Long Island. I have found the lack of traffic, wonderful scenery, laid back attitude and terriffic parks to be this areas greatest assets. I can't think of anything negative right now, except perhaps the fairly high cost of living.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:46 AM

Default Property tax analysis.

An interesting analysis of taxes inthe syracuse area can be found at the follwoing site.

A Syracuse Real Estate and Relocation Guide by Syracuse Homes - Cost of Living and Taxes in Syracuse

It is unclear how current the data is, but; it appears to be a interesting comparitive analysis town to town and county to county.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:53 AM

Best thing-summer is beautiful and it does have an easy lifestyle.
worst thing-winter, bad job market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area