Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2012, 01:23 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

I was wondering about potential grocery stores that could work in both of those areas of the city and could these companies work in both locations? Weis Markets | Unmistakably Weis

GIANT® Food Stores

I know that there are locations for the first supermarket in the Binghamton area and there are locations in other parts of the Northeast for the latter company. Does anyone have any experience with either store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 02:16 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
I have very little experience with either.

Weis markets thats I have seen seem very nice.

Giant I was underwhelmed with to say the least.

But also be aware that chains can very wildly. The New Hartford Walmart is a different plant from the Oneida or Rome stores.

The Weis I have seen seemed very small so that might be good. I don't know the Pond street store at all but I have heard one of the Syracuse Wegmans was a scary disaster so if its that one Giant may be a better fit.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:46 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I have very little experience with either.

Weis markets thats I have seen seem very nice.

Giant I was underwhelmed with to say the least.

But also be aware that chains can very wildly. The New Hartford Walmart is a different plant from the Oneida or Rome stores.

The Weis I have seen seemed very small so that might be good. I don't know the Pond street store at all but I have heard one of the Syracuse Wegmans was a scary disaster so if its that one Giant may be a better fit.
I used to shop at the Pond Street Wegmans at times and the only issue that I noticed was that the store wasn't stocked as well as the other area Wegmans, but there may have been a reason for that. it was an older store. So, I think it stuck out in regards to appearance in comparison to other area Wegman stores.

Also, the Giants in the Binghamton area were different than the Giants in PA and those are different from the Giants in the MD-DC-VA area. Interestingly, Weis bought out the Binghamton area Giant stores.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:49 PM

580 posts, read 1,173,665 times
Never been to Weis; Giant is pretty bad - worse than any chain in Central New York. It's owned by Royal Ahold. It also operates the Stop and Shop chain in New England and eastern New York, so I imagine any incursion to the Upstate market would be under that banner.

It does seem that the Central New York market is pretty saturated with grocery chains, so I don't know how eager anyone would be to take on Wegmans/Tops/Price Chopper.

For the record, I liked the Pond Street store very much and haven't been to any Wegmans location since they announced the closure. My money is on Price Rite taking over that site (not sure how full-service that chain is, but it can't be an improvement on Wegmans).

The next grocer to enter the market will probably be Trader Joe's. Maybe Whole Foods, but TJ's is more flexible in terms of both demographic and physical space requirements. The more mid-market chains won't consider it worth their while.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:52 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,866,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I used to shop at the Pond Street Wegmans at times and the only issue that I noticed was that the store wasn't stocked as well as the other area Wegmans, but there may have been a reason for that. it was an older store. So, I think it stuck out in regards to appearance in comparison to other area Wegman stores.
I think the other reason the store wasn't stocked very well is because it was always busy and depleted quickly after shelved, I never bought into Wegmans rationale that store was not busy (or profitable for that matter).

Last edited by urbanplanner; 08-19-2012 at 12:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area