Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 05:47 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,822,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I saw the google view for John Street. The photos were taken in June 2011. Did the street looks worse recently than when the Google street view photos were shot?

It's a rough looking area, but didn't look nearly as bad as I had imagined; though the surrounding streets like Park met those expectations.
The road looked similar to what is on Google Maps, IIRC. The neighborhood had many abandoned homes and it appeared to be a transitioning Arabic or Somali area (lots of women in headcoverings). I'm not a socialogist so if I'm wrong, I'm wrong; not looking to get into semantics.

It was nearby the worst sections of Syracuse that I saw- there could be worse somewhere but that was the worst I had seen. I pulled my truck over near a small park to take a phone call and a man pushing a supermarket shopping cart asked me what I needed. I said "nothing" and drove away.

For the homers: no, not all or nearly all of Syracuse was like this. It was a relatively small area of the city that I saw like this and like I said too, neighboring streets quickly got very nice (Sedgwick area).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 06:04 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
The road looked similar to what is on Google Maps, IIRC. The neighborhood had many abandoned homes and it appeared to be a transitioning Arabic or Somali area (lots of women in headcoverings). I'm not a socialogist so if I'm wrong, I'm wrong; not looking to get into semantics.
They've been working for a while now to resettle refugees in nearby areas of the north side, so that may be part of it. Large parts of the north side have been immigrant heavy for awhile now... just the countries left behind have changed over the years

Old 10-02-2012, 05:38 AM

93,224 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
They've been working for a while now to resettle refugees in nearby areas of the north side, so that may be part of it. Large parts of the north side have been immigrant heavy for awhile now... just the countries left behind have changed over the years
Exactly.... It is an area that has been an immigrant/refugee starting point in the area for over a century. There are many Southern and Southeast Asian refugees, as well as African refugees and African Americans that moved from other areas. There are still quite a few poorer to maybe lower middle class Whites(mainly Italian) in that part of the Northside too. Before it was highly Italian, it was largely German.

It isn't about being a Homer or anything else, by the way. Actually, the Southside is more notorious in terms of crime. With that said, a rule of thumb is that the inner neighborhoods on each side are rough/older and the outer neighborhoods on each are usually at least OK or better. This varies in terms of volume or degree as far as how bad and the size of these areas. For instance, if you do a streetview at say Wadsworth and Briggs in the Court-Woodlawn neighborhood on the Northside, it is a pretty nice, solid area. So, it does vary even within a side of town.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-02-2012 at 05:53 AM..

Old 10-02-2012, 08:16 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,822,224 times
I stated the homer thing because people tend to jump on your post if you state that someplace is a bad neighborhood. While I would never live in that neighborhood, I recognize the value of immigrants having a lower income area to live in. Politically, I'm not too keen on the US bringing in refugees from other countries personally, because I feel that there are so many of our own people in so much trouble here, but once here, they have been tending toward older northeastern cities. Lewiston Maine, Utica and Syracuse come to mind. If they are here and assimilate, that could bring a bad section back to life too.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I stated the homer thing because people tend to jump on your post if you state that someplace is a bad neighborhood. While I would never live in that neighborhood, I recognize the value of immigrants having a lower income area to live in. Politically, I'm not too keen on the US bringing in refugees from other countries personally, because I feel that there are so many of our own people in so much trouble here, but once here, they have been tending toward older northeastern cities. Lewiston Maine, Utica and Syracuse come to mind. If they are here and assimilate, that could bring a bad section back to life too.
I think most people have been forthright about what areas of Syracuse are bad and/or worn. There are even threads about such topics in relation to Syracuse.

As for the last part, it can vary. Utica has seen an influx of Bosnian refugees that have helpd parts of that city. I believe the issue with Lewiston was that the city wasn't prepared for the refugees that got from Somalia, by way of Atlanta. Many refugees go to cities like St. Louis, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Gulf of Mexico communities/cities in Louisiana and Texas and a few other places. So, where they go varies as well.

To get back on topic, Colvin St. west of South Ave. is pretty hilly as well. W Colvin St, Syracuse, NY - Google Maps

Here are some other streetviews of areas that have been mentioned before: Winkworth Parkway, Syracuse, NY - Google Maps (Some of it is in the city of Syracuse/Roberts Elem. then Corcoran and some is within the town of Onondaga/Westhill SD)

Velasko Road, Syracuse, NY - Google Maps (town of Onondaga)
Velasko Road, Syracuse, NY - Google Maps (Syracuse)

South Avery Avenue, Syracuse, NY - Google Maps

Seeley Road, Syracuse, NY - Google Maps

Maple Street, Syracuse, NY - Google Maps

Lime Street, Syracuse, NY - Google Maps

Old 10-11-2012, 02:04 PM

hickok ave syracuse ny - Google Maps

Mather Street, Syracuse, NY - Google Maps

South Ave. & Hutchinson Ave., Syracuse, NY - Google Maps

Windemere Road, Syracuse, NY - Google Maps

Lynn Circle, Syracuse, NY - Google Maps

Arsenal Drive, Syracuse, NY - Google Maps

Phelps Place, Syracuse, NY - Google Maps

Archer Road, Syracuse, NY - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area