Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 06:43 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times

Advertisements

What a lovely alter ego, we have here. lol

Old 04-11-2009, 07:34 AM

147 posts, read 522,363 times
Wow.

We recently got back from Cazenovia and found the people there to be outgoing and very friendly...maybe it was because it was a sunny, blue sky day with 55 degree temps in the middle of March that made everyone so happy...it seemed everyone had a smile for us, a kind word.
The area of Madison County is simply breathtaking...long views of valleys and lakes and mountains...farms (that are kept up nicely) and historic buildings that people take pride in. Then there is the Erie Canal and the spectacular Chittenango Falls.

We loved it. In fact, we loved it so much we decided to rent a house there...in Cazenovia. My husband got a new job in Syracuse, the commute is only 20-25 minutes. We are very excited...sad to leave Michigan, but excited to start the good life in Cazenovia, NY.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:23 AM

Wonderful! I'm glad that an "outsider" (until you move there, of course lol) came in and saw Cazenovia for the beautiful area it is. From the venomous way "different" posters would talk, you'd think it was an awful place. I don't see how anyone can see it that way unless they come in jaded from the start. Caz is beautiful!

Welcome to your new home.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:31 PM

147 posts, read 522,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Wonderful! I'm glad that an "outsider" (until you move there, of course lol) came in and saw Cazenovia for the beautiful area it is. From the venomous way "different" posters would talk, you'd think it was an awful place. I don't see how anyone can see it that way unless they come in jaded from the start. Caz is beautiful!

Welcome to your new home.
Aww. Thanks Proulx..and to you!

You are so right...fresh eyes.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:21 AM

3 posts, read 6,950 times
I would agree w/doggerslover's assessment.

I did see many newcomers who did slip right into the fabric of the social goings on. Perhaps they'd lived in a similar environment before and already had developed the appropriate survival skills? But I also know many, many families who left due to social isolation or other problems. For such a small town, the numbers seem significant to me.

Now do I meet lots of wonderful people who are generous, loving, talented, worthy of my respect? Absolutely! Some of the best people I've ever met.

But no place is Nirvana. And IMHO behavior could sometimes move to hyperbole in Caz. I've witnessed some behavior there that I'd never seen elsewhere before or since.

Last edited by Pomona CNY; 04-22-2009 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: Clarification of point

Old 04-22-2009, 09:14 AM

145 posts, read 499,140 times
I went to school there and I would love to move back. I think Cazenovia is perfect. People were perfectly friendly.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:41 AM

It really is amusing how so many posters join the city-data forum just to say how much they hate Cazenovia. There's that one post to their name and nothing more. I mean, it couldn't possibly be the same person, joining over and over, could it? That would be crazy.

</sarcasm>

Old 05-07-2009, 06:18 AM

3 posts, read 6,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
It really is amusing how so many posters join the city-data forum just to say how much they hate Cazenovia. There's that one post to their name and nothing more. I mean, it couldn't possibly be the same person, joining over and over, could it? That would be crazy.

</sarcasm>
No I frequent the finance sites but was sent to city-data on a link and ended up looking around some CNY threads. After reading this one, I felt compelled to stick up for someone that was being picked on for having an opinion that you didn't agree with. So I signed up.

Interesting you said I hated Caz. Really, hate? I believe I said some of the best people I ever met were from there. People I hope are always a part of my life. But not everyone.

I remember finding a 2 year old thread on the Caz Pilot where someone made the mistake of saying they weren't happy there. There were a few that pigpiled on, but one particular woman went all milatant with repeated escalating attacks which culminated in saying the person must be mentally ill if they didnt' enjoy Caz. Huh? A litttle projection, maybe?

It was a bit shocking to me as I've been in other similar towns where people sometimes expressed negative thoughts and no one even cared. Sometimes others would even support their statements. I'm not sure what all the vitriole is about. Why does a town need to be Nirvana to every single person that ever went through it? As people, are we all looking for the exact same thing in life? If you've got a good thing going, enjoy it. It's so wonderful to find a loving, supportive niche. But its always been my observation that truly happy people don't lash out at others, so when I see someone in attack mode for an honest opinion I'm thinking it's not really all Nirvana.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:07 AM

406 posts, read 1,451,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomona CNY View Post
No I frequent the finance sites but was sent to city-data on a link and ended up looking around some CNY threads. After reading this one, I felt compelled to stick up for someone that was being picked on for having an opinion that you didn't agree with. So I signed up.

Interesting you said I hated Caz. Really, hate? I believe I said some of the best people I ever met were from there. People I hope are always a part of my life. But not everyone.

I remember finding a 2 year old thread on the Caz Pilot where someone made the mistake of saying they weren't happy there. There were a few that pigpiled on, but one particular woman went all milatant with repeated escalating attacks which culminated in saying the person must be mentally ill if they didnt' enjoy Caz. Huh? A litttle projection, maybe?

It was a bit shocking to me as I've been in other similar towns where people sometimes expressed negative thoughts and no one even cared. Sometimes others would even support their statements. I'm not sure what all the vitriole is about. Why does a town need to be Nirvana to every single person that ever went through it? As people, are we all looking for the exact same thing in life? If you've got a good thing going, enjoy it. It's so wonderful to find a loving, supportive niche. But its always been my observation that truly happy people don't lash out at others, so when I see someone in attack mode for an honest opinion I'm thinking it's not really all Nirvana.
Why do you think that Proulxfamily's post was directed at you? Your post was not in the same class as some others as far as invective goes, it was rather thoughtful I felt. Please read though all the posts in this thread, I'm sure you will see that the general tone of the negative posts is very nasty. I am no snob, and while I have seen a few examples of what I'll call the "Long Island Syndrome" in Caz, as a rule most folks we have met have been very warm and welcoming. No place is perfect, but the level of hatred in this thread seems all out of per portion to the reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area