Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 03:58 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,762,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Cool, I'm surprised I haven't noticed it, as I've been by that area recently. I might have to check it out.
There aren't any windows anywhere except for the front and even those are just under the roof... I wouldn't have noticed it there if we didn't go to Byrne Dairy so often and we lived on the other side of the block way back when.

That said, I don't know what it's called... just that it's *a* Puerto Rican grocery and that it could likely be Lo Jame since the West Side is strongly Puerto Rican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 04:08 PM

93,459 posts, read 124,189,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
There aren't any windows anywhere except for the front and even those are just under the roof... I wouldn't have noticed it there if we didn't go to Byrne Dairy so often and we lived on the other side of the block way back when.

That said, I don't know what it's called... just that it's *a* Puerto Rican grocery and that it could likely be Lo Jame since the West Side is strongly Puerto Rican.
Sounds right. I know there a couple of stores on the other side of Geddes, but they just look like corner stores. I wonder if it's in that little plaza by Fowler, but I think Sav A Lot is still there. Nojaim's might carry stuff like that too.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,552 times
Angry Who would write about cool places...then not put addresses or phone numbers . Basic journalism 101. Duh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich View Post
I haven't seen a post about this, so I'm writing one for newbie "Cusians" and people thing to move.

Best place:

Green Hills, out by Nedrow... Lovely, a little privey on some items, but as close as you can come to the "Henry's" or "Whole Foods" out west.

Cheapest all around:
Aldi's, all over.
Has cans of refries which are $1.49 a can at Wegmann's for $.29, special, usually $.59 Rice is cheap, everything is cheap...just go to the one near Nedrow...not the innecr city ones (safer, especially during the evening)

Best Indian:
Kasmir, on Erie Blvd.
Ohhhhh, the smell of cardimon... Has rice in giant bags (20 lbs) CHEAP, all the ingedients you need...but if you are a little unsure, the folks behind the counter (seem to be family) are more than willing to help out a person... They'll point you in the right direction..

Asian market:
Pan-Asian, off Erie Blvd (behind Liquor Square)
FRESH fish? My gawd, I got in line behind a woman who argued in (I can only assume) Chinese, as her fish literally was flopping on the counter! I assume the argument was about the fish!!!
You can pick your own fish (from a tank) get everything from pork hearts (my hubby's favorite--and BTW MASSIVELY CHEAP!!!) to frozen friuts and everything you can expect from a local grocery in an "asian" neighoboorhood (ie, Little Tokyo in LA, China Town in SF or Philadelphia...) Granted, it's not as well stocked as some of these places, but ask the propritor to order your favorites...They keep stocking my (sorry there's no name for it in English--it's all Asian on the label!) husband's favorite steak sauce, because I go back in with the bottle and ask for it. they are really wonderful there.

Mexican?/Soul? /Puerto Rican
Lo Jame
Really, really weird market, but so cool. The prices are dirt cheap, but Tte first time I walked in, I thought it was a Mexican Market...So imagine my surprise as I'm looking for carne asada and discover... Pig snouts and fish tails.. One older lady walking by me said "Honey, 'des fu soups, 'n such." She must have seen my shock.. But the place has plenty of "Sylvia's Soul Food" (best selection I've seen outside of NYC), the meats ARE cheap, (I assume you can select between pig snouts and pork loin), and the people are down right bend-over backwards help you. If the guy at the counter for meats finds out that there are no more grapes...he'll go get you some! It's a tiny store, but well worth the trip... Note that almost everywhere the Puerto Rican flag hangs in the neighborhood. The inhabitants are patriotic Americans, (If the reader doesn't know this...Puerto Rico IS part of the US), loyal Puerto Ricans, and for the most part devote Christians (either Catholic or Spanish-speaking an off shoot) It's a GREAT neighborhood, safe (much safer than Erie Blvd) and the food is oh, so fresh! (Cilantro, sugar cane, dates, bananas!) you must go there, if only to stare in amazment at the food of another culture!!!

Peace & Justice (and good food!)
Ham Sandwich

There are a BUNCH of Middle eastern places there...If any of you folks who know the Middle eastern places want to chime it, have at it... INFORM ME!!!
How sad there is nothing in the phone book or on the net even slightly resembling the name of the Puerto Rican place. Any writer knows about the "W's"...Who, What When WHERE Why...has anyone figured this place out who actually understands how to blog??
Thank you.
I am Puerto Rican, new in town and would love to find this 'place' if it actually exists!

Old 03-21-2010, 10:32 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,762,255 times
This isn't a blog; it's a forum. The fact that posters *write* does not make them Writers.

Clearly, you are in possession of vastly superior journalism skills so perhaps, once you've researched Lo Jame, you can share that information with us, here? I've had no reason to go there as yet so cannot provide even its location. I suspect that's the case with our other posters as well...

Old 03-21-2010, 09:21 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,999,385 times
Stumbled across this, which might be it? Jandy Restaurant (http://www.usdirectory.com/sl/jandyrestaurant/index.htm?wr=1&afid=1829&utm_source=superpages&utm _medium=cpc - broken link)

Map seems to point at where you were describing.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:24 AM

161 posts, read 355,809 times
Samir's Imported Foods for middle eastern stuff should also go on this list! Its a great option, located on E. Genesee St.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justflow1983 View Post
Samir's Imported Foods for middle eastern stuff should also go on this list! Its a great option, located on E. Genesee St.
True and there is another Middle Eastern market on Teall ave. in Lyncourt.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 816 times
Don't forget to put a good word in for a little food market called, Budas. They have the best prices on fresh veggies and meats and cheeses, as well. The place is always humming and is definitely full of atmosphere in the best sort of way. The staff is very friendly and extremely helpful!

Old 01-30-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMllr View Post
Don't forget to put a good word in for a little food market called, Budas. They have the best prices on fresh veggies and meats and cheeses, as well. The place is always humming and is definitely full of atmosphere in the best sort of way. The staff is very friendly and extremely helpful!
It is located here: CNY Regional Market - Shopping & Dining - Concerts & Events - Wholesale & Services - regional market, syracuse regional market, farmers market syracuse, regional market syracuse ny, cny regional market, syracuse flea market

Old 01-30-2015, 04:01 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,618,349 times
Just watch the expiration dates at Budas. The products are usually very close or past the due date which is why the prices are so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area