Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 05:12 AM

4 posts, read 13,754 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info and advice. I am broadening my search (geographically). It looks like we'll settle on one of the suburbs, likely F-M because of the schools. It is a shame we can't live in the city but we are still looking forward to the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 12:46 PM

130 posts, read 173,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYer2b View Post
Thanks for the info and advice. I am broadening my search (geographically). It looks like we'll settle on one of the suburbs, likely F-M because of the schools. It is a shame we can't live in the city but we are still looking forward to the move.
Hi.
I don't think that the 'burb you've mentioned (F-M) and that others have mentioned (J-D) are so non-diverse you'll dislike it. (I will note that I had a conversation with ONE of the TWO POC students in Caz... That student had some very discouraging remarks about the "tolerance" level pf Caz... which saddens me.)

As for F-M, I can tell you that I've been to COUNTLESS sporting events & extracurriculars involving their various HS teams -- those kids ALL seem to be good sports, place a high value on good behavior, and are cordial hosts...

Old 01-31-2008, 09:12 AM

9 posts, read 43,319 times
I have 4 kids that attend JT Roberts school in the city. It's a great school. The teachers are wonderful, the PTO is very strong. I would absolutely recommend Roberts to anyone. We live in the neighborhood of the school (Strathmore) and walk to school every day with many of our neighborhood friends. There is talk of implementing an elementary International Baccalauriate program at Roberts in the next 2 years. The high school in our neighborhood (right next to Roberts) is Corcoran HS. Corcoran is one of the few schools in the state that offers an International Baccalauriate (as well as AP) program to their students.
Also - Elliot Spitzer is working on a great free college program for students that graduate from Syracuse City Schools with a regents diploma. Syracuse University and 20 other private universities are also coming on board...I am absolutely holding my breath for this program to pass!!!

Old 02-08-2008, 02:06 AM

97 posts, read 417,292 times
I went to Ed Smith Elementary about 12 years ago, I grew up in the University neighborhood, and I couldn't be prouder and happier that my parents chose to raise me in such an environment. I'm not sure about lately, but Ed Smith was a great school, very diverse, Levy Middle School leaves something to desire as far as academics, but Nottingham High School is very diverse and among the best academically in the city.

I ended up going to Manlius Pebble-Hill, on scholarship, after 9th grade, and a good number of families with kids at Ed Smith make that choice as well after 6th grade. Just something to think about. The neighborhood is great, and it has all the amenities of living in a city and close to a college campus.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:24 PM

4 posts, read 10,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYer2b View Post
My family and I will be moving to Syracuse next summer. We want to live in the city but have 2 young children. I haven't had much luck finding an acceptable school in the city.

The public schools seem to be rated poorly. Is there a such a thing as a good public school in the city?

The private schools are almost all religious (we aren't). One exception is the "New School" which has only 6 kids per grade . Am I missing any options here?

I do know of the Manlius-Pebble Hill school. It is in the 'burbs, kind of defeating the purpose of living in the city (not to mention $16k for kindergarten).

I know the city is starting to turn around but the primary thing young couples/families look for when moving are schools, which seem really lackluster. Please tell me if I'm wrong!
Have you tried looking into Jamesville-Dewitt? J-D is diverse and that area would make for an easy commute into the city. If you do decide to go to suburbs look into Fayetteville-Manlius will not be as diverse but a solid school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area