Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 12:21 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpennypancakes View Post
Thanks ckhthankgod. You're right, Carriagehouse East doesn't allow pets. One Franklin Square looks pretty cool, but they've got a long wait-list. I'll check out the other ones too.

Ha, thank you Becca! How do you tell? The only way I could tell was when one emailed me back and wanted me to pay for a background check immediately. I did some Googling and found out the background check website was a scam. What do you think about this? 1 bedroom in Solvay, INCLUDES HEAT AND HOT WATER!!!! . It does have an address. I also don't know about this area too well, either.
Usually scams are blatantly obvious, but sometimes hard to tell until you email, etc. Anything asking for any money up front, absolutely run the other direction. I think that Solvay one looks legit, but you'd have to confirm through email. I'm not too familiar with Solvay, but CKH and ToeJam can usually offer suggestions on that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 12:41 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
That area of Solvay should be fine. It is more of a blue collar community. So, I don't know if that is a turnoff. It is an area of the village close to shopping in Fairmount and you can hop onto I-690 to get to work. Here is a streetview of the area:
http://goo.gl/maps/CS7Wu

Old 05-31-2014, 06:06 PM

12 posts, read 14,458 times
Thanks! Y'all are awesome!

Old 05-31-2014, 07:09 PM

Another thing to consider with Solvay is that it has low utility rates due to having its own power company, which gets its energy through NYPA. Electric Department » Official Village of Solvay Website

Eva's European Sweets and Ascioti's are in the village and there are some restaurants, a Planet Fitness, a Tops grocery store and some other stores in and around Westvale Plaza on West Genesee Street in the village. It is also known for its Italian population and they have a festival at the Tyrol Club there.

You would also be pretty close to Tipperary Hill, which is a West Side neighborhood with quite a few pubs/restaurants and has Burnet Park, which is where the zoo is located. There are quite a few 20 somethings too. Going further east on West Genesee Street or veering right onto Erie Boulevard West near Rosie's takes you to Downtown. Once you get to know your way around the city/area, you could even take West Genesee to get to work, through Downtown to the hospital.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-31-2014 at 07:19 PM..

Old 06-01-2014, 04:48 AM

For other walkable communities, although a little bit more of a commute, you may also want to look at Village of Manlius and Village of Baldwinsville. Manlius has a really nice park as well as all the other amenities/services you are looking for. With traffic, it would be about a 20/25min drive (that's without accidents or snow) to Upstate. Baldwinsville is just further up 370 from Liverpool and would be about the same commute time as Manlius.

Here's a nice one in Manlius, walking distance to the main drag (Fayette St) - Charming 2 bedroom Village of Manlius

http://www.manliusvillage.org/
Village of Baldwinsville

(User proulxfamily lives in the Village of Manlius, so she'd be a good person to talk to)

Old 06-01-2014, 08:37 AM

Here are some more possibilities: D.N.Drucker Ltd. :: Real Estate and Brokerage Company

Syracuse Rent One Bedroom Apartments
Syracuse Rent Faculty (Non-Student)

Syracuse Apartments and Houses For Rent Near Syracuse, NY

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-01-2014 at 09:09 AM..

Old 06-02-2014, 03:34 PM

Given the criteria, you may like this complex too: Pinecrest Manor Apartments for Rent - Liverpool, NY Apartments | Apartment Finder

There is a little park next to the complex and you would be very close to Wegmans and the village of Liverpool would be a quick drive down Taft Road/Vine Street. Here's a streetview of the area: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1262...qGwcjFRskg!2e0

You may want to read this post though: //www.city-data.com/forum/17495035-post9.html

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-02-2014 at 05:03 PM..

Old 06-02-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You may want to read this post though: //www.city-data.com/forum/17495035-post9.html
haha, you beat me to it Seems all reviews consistently tell the same story - Pinecrest Manor Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Liverpool apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Also, that side road next to Wegmans is horrible if you have to make a left hand turn on Taft. I took Taft to work every day and got into near-collisions at least a few times per month of a-holes trying to make left hand turns completely unsafely. And other than the few amenities you listed, there really isn't anything within walking distance - it's pretty cut off from everything else.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
haha, you beat me to it Seems all reviews consistently tell the same story - Pinecrest Manor Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Liverpool apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Also, that side road next to Wegmans is horrible if you have to make a left hand turn on Taft. I took Taft to work every day and got into near-collisions at least a few times per month of a-holes trying to make left hand turns completely unsafely. And other than the few amenities you listed, there really isn't anything within walking distance - it's pretty cut off from everything else.
Yeah, I wondered why I left it off of the initial list, but now I know why.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:22 PM

12 posts, read 14,458 times
Thanks! I'd actually called the Pinecrest Manor apartments last week, and spoke to two staff-- both were not friendly, to put it mildly, and I was only asking questions about the property and application process. Seems like that fits with others' experiences, too.

Here's where I'm at now/here are the options I'm considering:

Still thinking about Harborside Manor, even though the 2 BR apartments are little more expensive there and their pet rent/fees are kind of crazy. The location just seems so great.

Charming 2 bedroom Village of Manlius (This is the one Becca8377 mentioned; really love it and may apply to just to see what happens, but as you point out, it's farther from Upstate, especially in the winter.)

Townhouse For Rent (in Fayetteville; seems a tad closer than Manlius)

Solvay one bedroom that includes HEAT AND HOT WATER!!! (in Solvay)

Nettleton Commons is out because they won't have the apartment ready by the time I need, unfortunately. I think I might just pull the trigger on something here pretty soon so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Random other question...Not to be too off-topic, but what is the political climate like in Syracuse? Coming from Texas, my assumption is that people would be more liberal, but I'm really not sure. I currently live in a relatively liberal "pocket" of Texas, and have been very happy with that, but have also lived other places in Texas with a much more conservative atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area