Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 03:39 PM

93,355 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Had sausage ravioli and I wasn't even like an Italian dish. Tasted Asian to be honest, exactly like a pot sticker. Yes, the spicy hot tomato oil was very good. I wonder if the jarred kind tastes as good, because they sell it at the Wegmans near me and I would buy it.

Detours seem to post in a circle, without actually showing how to get on 81. Somehow I ended up on W Colvin Street / S State Street in a not so great area, trying to find the entrance to 81.

Is that area of Syracuse where Pastabilities is considered Armory Square? Is that considered a safe area at night to walk around in?
I'm confused, as I thought that you've been here many times before. It is fine to walk around Armory Square. Hanover Square is fine as well as Clinton Square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 03:55 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm confused, as I thought that you've been here many times before. It is fine to walk around Armory Square. Hanover Square is fine as well as Clinton Square.
Been to Syracuse or been to Pastabilities? I've been to Pastabilities before. I'm not saying it was all bad, but it wasn't as good as times past. Stop with the damage control, I'm only asking a question.

I haven't been to Syracuse with all the detours before. I was staying in Liverpool.

I don't know if I'd say that walking around that area at night is such a great idea. Seemed like a lot of homeless people / desperate people walking around. Me lady had her iPhone out because we were trying to check reviews as we walked and some shady dude kept staring at her and following us. When we got there, I went inside Pastabilites to put my name in, and sure enough he was asking to see her phone and making her uncomfortable until I came outside then he quickly walked away (all 225 lbs of me).

Old 08-11-2014, 04:12 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,212 times
Quote:
Had sausage ravioli and I wasn't even like an Italian dish. Tasted Asian to be honest, exactly like a pot sticker. Yes, the spicy hot tomato oil was very good. I wonder if the jarred kind tastes as good, because they sell it at the Wegmans near me and I would buy it.

Detours seem to post in a circle, without actually showing how to get on 81. Somehow I ended up on W Colvin Street / S State Street in a not so great area, trying to find the entrance to 81.

Is that area of Syracuse where Pastabilities is considered Armory Square? Is that considered a safe area at night to walk around in?
Yes, Pastabilities is in Armory Square, sorta on the fringes. And generally yes, quite so.

Ahh, I see what they tried to do. That's quite the roundabout way to direct people to; it's quite a ways south of downtown.

I have heard good things about the jarred oil but haven't tried it myself.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Been to Syracuse or been to Pastabilities? I've been to Pastabilities before. I'm not saying it was all bad, but it wasn't as good as times past. Stop with the damage control, I'm only asking a question.

I haven't been to Syracuse with all the detours before. I was staying in Liverpool.

I don't know if I'd say that walking around that area at night is such a great idea. Seemed like a lot of homeless people / desperate people walking around. Me lady had her iPhone out because we were trying to check reviews as we walked and some shady dude kept staring at her and following us. When we got there, I went inside Pastabilites to put my name in, and sure enough he was asking to see her phone and making her uncomfortable until I came outside then he quickly walked away (all 225 lbs of me).
No damage control needed and yes, I was talking about Syracuse.

I wouldn't say that is the norm, as I've been there late at night recently and didn't see that, but maybe people were scared of me. lol If this was at night, then SPD is at Walton/Franklin usually in Armory Square. So, it wouldn't be a good idea during that time to do that on the part of this guy.

Summer generally has its share of construction and to get from Pastabilities to Liverpool, all you had to do is go north on Franklin, which becomes Butternut once you past the 690 overpass and turn left onto 81 North on the other side of the bridge. There are no detours to deal with along that route. To get to Pastabilities, you would have gotten off at the Franklin/West exit. So, you just had to go back the same way.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-11-2014 at 05:30 PM..

Old 08-11-2014, 05:04 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,919 times
There are a lot of 81 detour signs around Colvin/ S. Salina Street right now because of bridge work being done at Brighton. There is also a bunch of roadwork being done on surface streets downtown. I work in that area and got messed up with detours the other day with all of the road work. If you were trying to get on 81S, it is real easy to get lost if you don't now your way around.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
There are a lot of 81 detour signs around Colvin/ S. Salina Street right now because of bridge work being done at Brighton. There is also a bunch of roadwork being done on surface streets downtown. I work in that area and got messed up with detours the other day with all of the road work. If you were trying to get on 81S, it is real easy to get lost if you don't now your way around.
I thought he was going 81 North, as he was staying in Liverpool north of the city. If he is going south from there(Liverpool), he wouldn't have to mess with that detour at all to get to Downtown or on his way home, unless he left from Pastabilities to get "home".

Old 08-11-2014, 05:22 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
Yes, Pastabilities is in Armory Square, sorta on the fringes. And generally yes, quite so.

Ahh, I see what they tried to do. That's quite the roundabout way to direct people to; it's quite a ways south of downtown.

I have heard good things about the jarred oil but haven't tried it myself.
I was in town last weekend and was very disappointed in the quality of the paving done on West Fayette in front of the Black Olive (former Pascale's space). The road was lumpy and there was some metal cover installed in the middle of the street. The sidewalks and curbing looked horrible and nothing like the renderings. I thought this project was part of the Connective Corridor? Did they have cost overruns and decided to scrap the aesthetic improvements (e.g signage, red and green pavers on the sidewalks and street )? I'm hoping this is not the finished product. I too noticed a lot of bums near the 24 second shot clock. Other media outlets have reported on the panhandling problem but unfortunately the mayor and Common Council have no interest in cracking down. The problem has gotten worse in parts of Manhattan as of late.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I was in town last weekend and was very disappointed in the quality of the paving done on West Fayette in front of the Black Olive (former Pascale's space). The road was lumpy and there was some metal cover installed in the middle of the street. The sidewalks and curbing looked horrible and nothing like the renderings. I thought this project was part of the Connective Corridor? Did they have cost overruns and decided to scrap the aesthetic improvements (e.g signage, red and green pavers on the sidewalks and street )? I'm hoping this is not the finished product. I too noticed a lot of bums near the 24 second shot clock. Other media outlets have reported on the panhandling problem but unfortunately the mayor and Common Council have no interest in cracking down. The problem has gotten worse in parts of Manhattan as of late.
The Connective Corridor runs down Washington instead of East Fayette. I think the signage and lanes are confusing on Fayette, but the Connective Corridor has always run down Washington Street, unless it has changed recently.

I'm surprised that homeless people were near the shot clock, as the police block Walton off near there, at least at night. Perhaps this was during the day, but I would be surprised if this is the case at night.

Where in Manhattan has this been occurring?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-11-2014 at 06:03 PM..

Old 08-11-2014, 05:35 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The Connective Corridor runs down Washington instead of East Fayette. I think the signage and lanes are confusing on Fayette, but the Connective Corridor has always run down Washington Street.

I'm surprised that homeless people were near the shot clock, as the police block Walton off near there, at least at night. Perhaps this was during the day, but I would be surprised if this is the case at night.

Where in Manhattan has this been occurring?
I was there at 8:15 am, so perhaps this isn't the norm. As to panhandling and the growth in homeless population, I have noticed an increase in Midtown South, Astor Place, Union Square and Times Square. No change in Midtown East and sections of the Upper East Side that I normally frequent. The subways have gotten very dirty.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:54 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
That area is connective corridor related, but I thought this year's work was primarily on the underground bits over there, not the actual streetscape. I haven't been by there recently though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area