Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 11:25 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times

Advertisements

I would think that someone who is a graduate student at a major university would be eventually in a position to need to travel abroad for professional reasons. So might as well get the full blown passport, good for 10 years, for the incremental cost of an extra tank of gas. When you need to get one, there could always be some "government shutdown" or other problem, after all.

Toronto can be a useful world gateway. I flew from there going to Europe this summer even from PA. If you fly Air Canada from or to places like Rochester or Syracuse you will probably have to go through customs and/or security twice though.

If you are just going to Toronto they might charge more for airfare than for going through YYZ to London (it happened to me...). Amtrak could be an option from Syracuse too if you are going to the city and not necessarily driving around.

A car could be something of a liability in New York City as well. There are frequent and cheap buses from Ithaca and probably Syracuse too, or train from Syracuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 04:28 PM

357 posts, read 968,496 times
[quote=ki0eh;36636321]I would think that someone who is a graduate student at a major university would be eventually in a position to need to travel abroad for professional reasons. So might as well get the full blown passport, good for 10 years, for the incremental cost of an extra tank of gas.[quote]

I have both, only because I don't keep my passport in my wallet and I travel for work a lot along the border. So whenever I want to quickly go across the border I can without having had to remember to go and get the passport out of the desk at home. For me it's mostly about the convenience.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:56 AM

189 posts, read 275,843 times
This is something I'll definitely have to look into if I do end up moving up there.

So what about income? Is 17k going to be enough to live on in Greater Syracuse?

Old 09-28-2014, 12:22 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonyT View Post
This is something I'll definitely have to look into if I do end up moving up there.

So what about income? Is 17k going to be enough to live on in Greater Syracuse?
In lower income housing or perhaps with help from a program like this: Onondaga County Community Development Division

Is that the income for the position you are looking into? Would you be open to working another job?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-28-2014 at 12:33 PM..

Old 09-28-2014, 12:56 PM

It's the teaching salary for the grad program I'm thinking of applying to. The salary at Cornell (in Ithaca) would be 24k.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
It's the teaching salary for the grad program I'm thinking of applying to. The salary at Cornell (in Ithaca) would be 24k.
So, will your housing arrangement be all set at either place or will you need to look for housing? That will make a difference. If you need to look for housing, this may help: Syracuse University Rent Apartment Housing

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-28-2014 at 02:10 PM..

Old 10-02-2014, 04:58 PM

If you move into the area, you may like to check these establishments out too: Cafe at 407 | A Community Creating Change

Mystic Side Gift & Book Store

Jon Speed: The Book Scout - Rare, used, and out-of-print books

Old 10-02-2014, 06:31 PM

Here's some Ithaca information too: Downtown Ithaca NY - YouTube

The Future of Downtown Ithaca - YouTube

Old 04-18-2015, 01:12 PM

Hey, folks!

Well my grad school plans wound up hitting a bit of a snag, so now I'm looking at possibly moving out this way in August of next year (2016) as opposed to here in a few months, as initially planned. How is the Syracuse area doing these days? I remember there being talk of some downtown redevelopment, and maybe something to do with some major construction on one of the interstates... ? What (if anything) came of all that?

Old 04-18-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Hey, folks!

Well my grad school plans wound up hitting a bit of a snag, so now I'm looking at possibly moving out this way in August of next year (2016) as opposed to here in a few months, as initially planned. How is the Syracuse area doing these days? I remember there being talk of some downtown redevelopment, and maybe something to do with some major construction on one of the interstates... ? What (if anything) came of all that?
There is a still redevelopment in Downtown Syracuse and the Syracuse Construction thread is a good place to look for that. Same with I-81, as there is a thread with articles showing news and potential plans for a portion of highway in between Downtown and University Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area