Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 07:46 PM

3 posts, read 3,120 times

Advertisements

Hello and thanks for your time in advance.

I will be relocating to Syracuse from Albany and have been reading these forums heavily and seek your advice. I've read the related threads but wanted to throw my personal situation into this thread.

-In mid 20's, job is in Liverpool and I am hoping to keep the commute under 20 minutes, without living in a suburb outside the city.
-I would like to be walking distance to bars, restaurants etc.
-Budget is for a one bedroom (preferably loft, but can do without) $800-$900max.
-Above all, must be very safe. I understand the diversity of Syracuse but a section 8/low income/tough neighborhoods will not be considered.

Thanks all,

Kensky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 08:36 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Franklin Square and Tipperary Hill come to mind. Westcott would also fit. This may help: Syracuse Apartments and Rentals - Walk Score

Eastwood may also work for you as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-09-2014 at 08:46 PM..

Old 10-09-2014, 08:58 PM

Downtown may be another option, if you can find something, as the occupancy rate is high and the rents generally are higher than what you are looking for. Living » Downtown Committee of Syracuse

This is another area apartment guide: Apartments for Rent in Syracuse, NY - Syracuse Apartment Rentals

Old 10-10-2014, 05:33 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
The main restaurant/bar area in the City of Syracuse is Armory Square, but your budget will limit those options. Def check the downtown link that ckh posted, that will have potential options by price range. The neighborhoods ckh suggested aren't walking distance to downtown, but they do have some of their own amenities (Tipp Hill, for example, has a bunch of Irish bars/restaurants). I had friends that used to live in Little Italy, right next to St. Joe's and while it was a tiny bit of a stretch to walk downtown, we did it on occasion.

If you are just looking for city amenities (things to do, etc), then you may also want to consider the Villages such as the Village of Liverpool and, depending where your work is in Liverpool, the Village of Baldwinsville. The Villages are walkable and have all of their own self-contained amenities, such as bars, restaurants, shops, grocery, etc, all within walking distance.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
The main restaurant/bar area in the City of Syracuse is Armory Square, but your budget will limit those options. Def check the downtown link that ckh posted, that will have potential options by price range. The neighborhoods ckh suggested aren't walking distance to downtown, but they do have some of their own amenities (Tipp Hill, for example, has a bunch of Irish bars/restaurants). I had friends that used to live in Little Italy, right next to St. Joe's and while it was a tiny bit of a stretch to walk downtown, we did it on occasion.

If you are just looking for city amenities (things to do, etc), then you may also want to consider the Villages such as the Village of Liverpool and, depending where your work is in Liverpool, the Village of Baldwinsville. The Villages are walkable and have all of their own self-contained amenities, such as bars, restaurants, shops, grocery, etc, all within walking distance.
I thought about some of the apartments on North Salina and North State(Nettleton Commons for an example) just north of Downtown, but it may be a matter of how you feel, OP.

I second the statement about villages and Liverpool would be a great choice in that regard. A sleeper near where you work besides Baldwinsville, may be North Syracuse, which has quite a few Italian restaurants in the village and a plaza which has shopping/a gym/restaurants. Plenty of shopping/other restaurants up and down Route 11/Brewerton Road. In the Liverpool area, there's big box shopping/restaurants on Routes 57 and 31. Solvay around Westvale Plaza on West Genesee Street and just west of Tipp Hill may work as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-10-2014 at 07:18 AM..

Old 10-10-2014, 09:33 AM

Thanks for everyone's detailed replies. Any recommendations on lofts in liverpool with walkable distance to bars/restaurants? Liverpool and other suburbs are sounding like a great idea

Old 10-10-2014, 09:50 AM

201 posts, read 298,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensky View Post
Thanks for everyone's detailed replies. Any recommendations on lofts in liverpool with walkable distance to bars/restaurants? Liverpool and other suburbs are sounding like a great idea
I think it has been said on here before, but for a lot of the villages, many of the rentals don't appear on the internet. You need to drive through town and see posted signs. I work in Liverpool and live in the Village of Baldwinsville. My commute is around 15 minutes. So close, I even come home for lunch some days. Either Liverpool or Bville villages would work for you. Bville also has a music venue in town https://www.facebook.com/PaperMillIsland

I also saw this recent article in Syracuse.com and am very excited about the new restaurant/bar opening up underneath Sammy Malones: Dining news in Baldwinsville: Mohegan Manor, Muddy Waters and The Fireside Inn | syracuse.com

If you go on google maps and look at Baldwinsville, there are some recent high res 360 degree shots put up by a user called Visiting CentralNY. If you click on the little streetview guy, the little blue dots that show up are the newest pictures. There even pictures of the inside of Sammy Malones and the inside of both floors of Suds Factory Grill on the other side of the river. There's also a nice view of Paper Mill Island (when empty). Pretty cool! Looks like the same user did some pictures in Cazenovia, but none in Liverpool, unfortunately.

There are a lot of apartments on the floors above the commercial spaces downtown in Bville, but like I said, you need to drive around to see the signs posted.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensky View Post
Village Mall Apartments, if anything is available, would work. I believe the company that owns them is RJ Liverpool. There's this building too: Apartments for Rent - 401 First Street, Liverpool NY - JGB Properties, LLC

If you have the time, like jonthedream mentioned, drive around the villages and see if there are for rent signs. Craigslist may have some listings too.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, where in the Albany area are you coming from? I'm just wondering if there is a comparable area here that you may like or would feel comfortable in.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-10-2014 at 10:56 AM..

Old 10-10-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Village Mall Apartments, if anything is available, would work. I believe the company that owns them is RJ Liverpool. There's this building too: Apartments for Rent - 401 First Street, Liverpool NY - JGB Properties, LLC

If you have the time, like jonthedream mentioned, drive around the villages and see if there are for rent signs. Craigslist may have some listings too.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, where in the Albany area are you coming from? I'm just wondering if there is a comparable area here that you may like or would feel comfortable in.
I am moving from Guilderland.

I am going to sift through the info you all have provided. To back track a bit, what is the overall feel of The lofts at Franklin square in terms of safety, walk ability to establishments, and landlord?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area