Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we add a Syracuse sub-forum?
Yes 23 85.19%
No 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:41 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,596,433 times

Advertisements

You could easliy settle this by having a guideline that all MSAs with population =/+ 1 million get their own sub-forum.

People in other parts of the country who see NYS as simply Upstate/NYC are guilty of having the same foggy lenses as those whom the New Yorker skewered in it classic cover showing a New Yorker's view of America: (7th Ave., 8th Ave., Hudson River, NJ, PA, The Midwest, The West).

I can't speak for Albany, Schenectady and Troy, but Roch., Buffalo and Syracuse have distinct personalities and attributes, they are not interchangable. (I am particularly sensitive to this because I am a Rochester native who now lives in St Paul and gets irritated when those not from here call my city "Minneapolis" )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 02:07 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,657,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artyst View Post
i do like the general ny forum because as someone unfamiliar with upstate ny it provided me one place to post my questions. trying to figure out which city to post in would have been a real bummer for me. often i'm looking for input from the many different segments of upstate, the general ny forum is a perfect place for that.
They're not taking away the General NY forum though. If you want to post a broad inquiry about Upstate NY in general, compare and/or contrast a few cities at once in one thread, etc., then you should still feel free to do so on the General NY forum, where you'll still receive assistance. It is more convenient to peer into specific sub-forums if you already have your metro area narrowed down and want to sift through threads specific to only that city.

I hear the same fears on the General PA forum when I made mere mention of proposing a fifth sub-forum for South Central PA, and I quite honestly don't know why. That is in no way, shape, or form meant to detract from the viability of the General PA forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area