Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:12 PM

161 posts, read 355,587 times

Advertisements

westvale is great for a neighborhood, and the people are all friendly and the area is safe. I grew up in Onondaga Hill, where theres not much of a neighboorhood or community, but its very close to downtown.

I'd go with the thought or strathmore or sedgewick or eastwood (or the other nice inner cuse neighborhoods). They're all safe, nice, walkable communities and besides, who needs more sprawl? All the people you'd find "intimidating" moved to manlius and skaneatles long ago, so no worries there. I worked in the syracuse suburbs and hated them, its just shopping centers, parking lots, and subdivisions. no sense of place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 11:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,673 times
As a Strathmore resident for many years now, let me offer a first-hand perspective. Strathmore is a very stable neighborhood and offers a great quality of life. We have a very strong neighborhood association that will keep it that way. Beautiful, well-preserved historic homes (in fact, part of the neighborhood is designated as a historic preservation district), good schools that you could walk to, a scenic park, and a strong sense of community among neighbors. You can get more info at www.strathmoreneighborhood.com

Old 04-28-2009, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,308 times
I agree with CityBoyz. We LOVE living in Strathmore...it is beautiful, the people and neighbors are friendly, there is a great sense of community and so much to do, and, yet, we are minutes from downtown and all the fun in Armory Square and a quick five-minute drive to work. It is the historical, character-filled homes that really won us over. I look at my house everyday and smile because of how special it is...no cookie-cutters in our neighborhood.

Sadly, my husband just accepted a job out of state and we have to sell our dream home in Strathmore (which will make my above comments re Strathmore seem biased, yet they are all true!). Moderator cut: real estate soliciting

Last edited by bellafinzi; 04-28-2009 at 04:45 PM..

Old 06-12-2009, 01:58 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Was so glad to find this old thread as we are considering a rental situation in Strathmore. The pics look great! So, this is "in" Syracuse proper, which I had been trying to avoid for safety reasons. Can some of you regulars tell me how safe you would feel living there? I know someone on the thread already said there are some bad neighborhoods nearby, but does that mean "dangerous" neighborhoods, or just lower income working poor folks?

Thanks again to all of you who have been supplying me with such good info!

Old 06-12-2009, 02:06 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Was so glad to find this old thread as we are considering a rental situation in Strathmore. The pics look great! So, this is "in" Syracuse proper, which I had been trying to avoid for safety reasons. Can some of you regulars tell me how safe you would feel living there? I know someone on the thread already said there are some bad neighborhoods nearby, but does that mean "dangerous" neighborhoods, or just lower income working poor folks?

I would say it's more lower income folks. Most of the serious crime in Syracuse is usually between people that know each other or are caught up in a negative lifestyle in terms of drugs and gangs(which pretty much are hand in hand in a lot of cases). There are still quite a few safe neighborhoods in the City of Syracuse, but you will get people that paint a broad brush of the city in terms of crime and poverty.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I would say it's more lower income folks. Most of the serious crime in Syracuse is usually between people that know each other or are caught up in a negative lifestyle in terms of drugs and gangs(which pretty much are hand in hand in a lot of cases). There are still quite a few safe neighborhoods in the City of Syracuse, but you will get people that paint a broad brush of the city in terms of crime and poverty.
Sounds like what happens in Charlotte Thanks for your input.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:26 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
Quote:

Not everyone feels this way, but a major drawback to Strathmore for me is that you are very close to blight and it will taint your perception of the Syracuse area.

People's perception of the Syracuse area can be drastically different just based on where you live within Onondaga County.

The biggest difference is the Thruway divide. People who live north of the Thruway have a totally different view of the Syracuse area than those who live south of the Thruway.

This will probably sound strange to some, but for some reason when I'm north of the Thruway in the Syracuse area my mind is more at peace and the possibilities of life seem endless. When I'm south of the Thruway my guard is up and my mind feels more cloudy/less clear. The village of Liverpool area is the only major exception.

I'm not saying south of the Thruway is worse than north of the Thruway.... I'm just giving you my experience. Others might experience the total opposite.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Not everyone feels this way, but a major drawback to Strathmore for me is that you are very close to blight and it will taint your perception of the Syracuse area.

People's perception of the Syracuse area can be drastically different just based on where you live within Onondaga County.

The biggest difference is the Thruway divide. People who live north of the Thruway have a totally different view of the Syracuse area than those who live south of the Thruway.

This will probably sound strange to some, but for some reason when I'm north of the Thruway in the Syracuse area my mind is more at peace and the possibilities of life seem endless. When I'm south of the Thruway my guard is up and my mind feels more cloudy/less clear. The village of Liverpool area is the only major exception.

I'm not saying south of the Thruway is worse than north of the Thruway.... I'm just giving you my experience. Others might experience the total opposite.
Thanks Bella By Thruway do you mean 690? (We don't have "thruways" down here in the south, lol).

Old 06-12-2009, 03:38 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
Quote:
Thanks Bella By Thruway do you mean 690? (We don't have "thruways" down here in the south, lol).
Oops, sorry! I-90 in New York State is called the Thruway.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:39 PM

406 posts, read 1,450,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post

While I understand your reluctance to embrace the gritty environs of Syracuse proper, your reasoning in dismissing all areas south of the "Slab" escapes me . So, according to you, Dewitt, Fayetteville, Manlius, and Pompey all "cloud" your mind? You're right, it does sound strange to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area