Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 03:04 PM

69 posts, read 221,490 times

Advertisements

I work in IT and we're considering moving to Syracuse. I don't want to work remotely for my current employer here in AZ as I'd like to work in the community. Does anyone know anything about Stickley as an employer? I saw their website and it looks like they employ about 1600 people around the country. Is the corporate HQ in Manlius big, or how many employees does it have? Does anyone here know anyone who worked there, and if so, what do/did they say about it? Does the company have a good reputation in the area?

If anyone knows of any good IT employers in the Syracuse area I'd appreciate any info. Looking at Monster.com & Yahoo jobs doesn't look too good, but you never really can tell by looking at those things. I have no leads in the area and don't really know where to start. I've got 6+ yrs experience so hopefully it won't be too hard to find something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 08:17 PM

7 posts, read 28,834 times
AXA is a large insurance company that is moving there. Some positions are there others are moving. They have an IT department.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamax102006 View Post
AXA is a large insurance company that is moving there. Some positions are there others are moving. They have an IT department.
Thanks for the info! I actually work for an insurance company now so this is good....

I'm a little confused, though - when you say "some positions are there others are moving," do you mean some positions are there (in Syracuse) already and others are in the process of moving in to Syracuse, or do you mean that some positions are there and others are moving away from Syracuse?

Old 02-06-2008, 08:15 PM

7 posts, read 28,834 times
moving to the area. You should look at their website.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:56 PM

I had looked at their website, but I thought maybe you had some more up-to-date info or something. Thanks for the reply!

I still like Stickley, and for some inexplicable reason I got a Stickley advertisement in the mail 2 days ago; apparently some authorized dealer out here in AZ is having a sale. I had never seen anything about them before - maybe it's a sign.

I read up on them and it looks like they're big into their corporate history, which I like. They even have a corporate historian. Pretty cool.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:57 PM

406 posts, read 1,452,771 times
Stickley is a pretty big part of the area, the Fayetteville Library is built in their old factory, and the main showroom is located in Town Center in Fayetteville. We have purchased some furniture from them. I find it really cool that this wonderful stuff is built right here by local people.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:12 PM

37 posts, read 132,852 times
Just to piggyback off of boomvang saying Stickley has good stuff, some of their furniture in the Whitehouse.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:13 AM

8 posts, read 35,339 times
I interviewed for a job once with Stickley--the owners interview everybody. He asked me inappropriate questions like--what does your father do? and Do you smoke? I did not pursue a job further.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:44 AM

145 posts, read 499,804 times
My sister worked for stickley - lets just say she worked very closely with the owners and they were simply horrible to her repeatedly. She is smart, hardworking, creative and intelligent- not a slacker at all. She gave it everything she had but they are rich spoiled horrible people and no matter how hard she worked they simple gave her no respect or gratitude... The Audi's suck, watch out for them.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:04 AM

I think the last 2 posts are enough for me. I currently work for a great company doing something I really like. I think I'd rather take them up on their offer to work remotely from Syracuse than to go gamble on a place that sounds subpar as far as how they treat their employees. I'm sure some would say they like it there, but I'm turned off enough just from these 2 replies.

The owners' insisting on interviewing everyone reeks of control freaks. No thanks, I can't stand micromanagers.

Thanks for the replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area