Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 10:17 AM

93,388 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthedream View Post
A lot more rednecks up here than in Long Island, that's for sure. Also much more conservative politically than Long Island (oh and people here love their guns, just see all of the "Repeal the Safe Act" signs in people's yards). Slower pace of life as well, though village of Liverpool is busy and vibrant. You'll manage, though. We moved from Brooklyn and have adjusted just fine (though I was from the midwest, so used to most of the differences already).
Good points.....OP, you'll see these things in more exurb/rural areas versus the Liverpool or North Syracuse areas, which are generally pretty built out. Baldwinsville will have a mix, as it has experienced a housing/population boom of sorts and still has parts that are more rural.

Also, the Liverpool and North Syracuse areas will have pockets of relatively notable cultural/racial diversity than Baldwinsville, with the Liverpool area a little more so than the North Syracuse area. I guess a school district from Long Island that may be similar to those two in that regards is Harborfields or maybe Elwood.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-07-2016 at 10:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 02:24 PM

10 posts, read 17,668 times
I have a conservative view mostly so that shouldn't be an issue. Can anyone tell me about manlius? Good area?

Old 01-08-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseburt View Post
I have a conservative view mostly so that shouldn't be an issue. Can anyone tell me about manlius? Good area?
You should be fine, as this isn't an area that is too far one way or the other, for the most part.

Are looking into the town and/or village of Manlius? It is fine and has some of the most affluent parts of the area.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:22 PM

South otselic is which is south of manlius. Actually might be moving there quite sooner than expected. But that is the town I am looking to live and norwich would be where work will be.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
South otselic is which is south of manlius. Actually might be moving there quite sooner than expected. But that is the town I am looking to live and norwich would be where work will be.
South Otselic is very rural and quite a drive from Syracuse. Fayetteville and Norwich would be the closest places with big box shopping.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
South Otselic is very rural and quite a drive from Syracuse. Fayetteville and Norwich would be the closest places with big box shopping.
Yeah it did seem a bit rural. As long as it's safe and not a ghetto neighborhood I'm good with that. Thank you for all the insight and helpful information! I will post about the transition in a couple of weeks

Old 01-09-2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Yeah it did seem a bit rural. As long as it's safe and not a ghetto neighborhood I'm good with that. Thank you for all the insight and helpful information! I will post about the transition in a couple of weeks
So, are you moving to South Otselic or to Liverpool? Are you just looking at your options? Keep in mind that South Otselic is going to be more in line with jonthedream's post and it is in Chenango County, which is outside of the Syracuse metro area. It is about 30-35 minutes from the village of Manlius.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So, are you moving to South Otselic or to Liverpool? Are you just looking at your options? Keep in mind that South Otselic is going to be more in line with jonthedream's post and it is in Chenango County, which is outside of the Syracuse metro area. It is about 30-35 minutes from the village of Manlius.
I know I was a bit confusing. At first it was Liverpool. South otselic looks like it will be the one. Applied to two different jobs. Got an interview Monday in Norwich which is why I switched from Liverpool to south otselic.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I know I was a bit confusing. At first it was Liverpool. South otselic looks like it will be the one. Applied to two different jobs. Got an interview Monday in Norwich which is why I switched from Liverpool to south otselic.
Got it. Norwich itself may be the way to go for more amenities. Within the Syracuse metro area, Hamilton is a nice small community that is home to Colgate University. So, it will have more than other small towns in the area.

There's also the Sherburne-Earlville area in between Hamilton and Norwich and could be another area to look into.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:58 AM

OP, what are some amenities that you look for in a community?

Also, another thing I forgot to mention is that the village of Hamilton has its own electric company by way of NYPA and such places tend to have lower utility costs because of this. Municipal Electric Department | Village Of Hamilton, NY

Municipal Utilities | Village Of Hamilton, NY

Hamilton(town) was the fastest growing municipality in the Syracuse metro between 2000-2010. Central New York halts decline in population, according to latest Census statistics | syracuse.com

More Hamilton info: This Is Hamilton NY - This is Hamilton NY

Village of Hamilton - Welcome to Hamilton New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area