Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 01:18 PM

26 posts, read 22,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
With the University Hill/University area, you also have Westcott Street and even some businesses at the East Genesee St/Irving Ave intersection/vicinity. You are also seeing more apartment buildings built in that area and that will hopefully open up the East neighborhood along/off of Euclid for area employees(professionals with or without families). So, you have multiple business districts in that general area and there is some development in terms of apartments geared towards students and/or University Hill workers.
I really like Wescott, and would recommend it as an area to live. I'm not sure I see huge potential overall for growth in the way of businesses, but it could improve a bit and make the area even more inviting for people with connections to SU/Le Moyne. A couple more shops, and generally improve the curb appeal of the "business district" a bit. A lot of great houses over that way as well.

Grant/Butternut has potential as well, but I would put it below Eastwood/Salina (Little Italy).

Butternut/Salina, as you mentioned, is an area that should take off, but may not. It seems like just saying Butternut in Syracuse causes most people to run. Maybe they could change the name of it South of Lodi!

That Little Italy area would be fantastic if they could entice some more business to redo the storefronts, and make it more walkable/livable. Maybe add some bike paths that head right into downtown. It probably has more potential than Eastwood to be honest because of what's already in place. The hospital is right there, they're adding some housing already, and that drug store just went up fairly recently. They do seem to be heading in the right direction, and the close proximity to the city would be appealing for many people who absolutely hate the suburbs - and people are generally trending away from suburbs in most cities nowadays.

It's still a pretty shoddy area from what I know of it, but it has nicer architecture, nicer feel (if improved) than many other locales. I do like the approach to Eastwood though coming down James and some of those magnificent homes. Eastwood is also set away from the city much more, whereas Little Italy puts you pretty close without being directly in it.

What they did to James Street in the 50 or 60s is an absolute travesty btw. Whereas cities like Rochester maintained a lot of their historic homes and had it pay to this day, Syracuse tore so many of them down to build absolute garbage. So many small-minded people making horrific decisions back then.

I have heard Genesee Street used to be quite nice as well before it became a bunch of car dealerships. I'm not even from here, but reading it about all makes me cringe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 05:17 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntaxErr View Post
I really like Wescott, and would recommend it as an area to live. I'm not sure I see huge potential overall for growth in the way of businesses, but it could improve a bit and make the area even more inviting for people with connections to SU/Le Moyne. A couple more shops, and generally improve the curb appeal of the "business district" a bit. A lot of great houses over that way as well.

Grant/Butternut has potential as well, but I would put it below Eastwood/Salina (Little Italy).

Butternut/Salina, as you mentioned, is an area that should take off, but may not. It seems like just saying Butternut in Syracuse causes most people to run. Maybe they could change the name of it South of Lodi!

That Little Italy area would be fantastic if they could entice some more business to redo the storefronts, and make it more walkable/livable. Maybe add some bike paths that head right into downtown. It probably has more potential than Eastwood to be honest because of what's already in place. The hospital is right there, they're adding some housing already, and that drug store just went up fairly recently. They do seem to be heading in the right direction, and the close proximity to the city would be appealing for many people who absolutely hate the suburbs - and people are generally trending away from suburbs in most cities nowadays.

It's still a pretty shoddy area from what I know of it, but it has nicer architecture, nicer feel (if improved) than many other locales. I do like the approach to Eastwood though coming down James and some of those magnificent homes. Eastwood is also set away from the city much more, whereas Little Italy puts you pretty close without being directly in it.

What they did to James Street in the 50 or 60s is an absolute travesty btw. Whereas cities like Rochester maintained a lot of their historic homes and had it pay to this day, Syracuse tore so many of them down to build absolute garbage. So many small-minded people making horrific decisions back then.

I have heard Genesee Street used to be quite nice as well before it became a bunch of car dealerships. I'm not even from here, but reading it about all makes me cringe.
Sad, but true what urban renewal has done to parts of the city.

I've always said that North Salina from just north of Downtown up to Kirkpatrick has ridiculous potential due to the architecture, its location, some investment, it has some housing above some of the businesses, quite a few restaurants, arguably the most diverse neighborhood in Upstate NY nearby and it already has walkable infrastructure, among other things. It is one of the oldest areas of the city and with the move towards density, walkability and proximity to employment/entertainment, it is an area to keep an eye on. For those that don't know what we are talking about: https://www.google.com/maps/place/N+...ccf489!6m1!1e1

Northside UP - The Northside Urban Partnership | Syracuse, NY

What We Do - Northside UP

Perhaps they could call that area SoLo. Hmm....

Also, here are the business districts that were mentioned earlier in the thread, Elmwood(South Ave): https://www.google.com/maps/search/e...7i13312!8i6656

Court-Woodlawn(Grant Boulevard/Butternut Circle): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0721...7i13312!8i6656

Court-Woodlawn Task Force: Click Walkable Court Woodlawn - Butternut Circle

Valley(South Salina Street): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0015...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-25-2016 at 06:45 PM..

Old 03-25-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:

I've always said that North Salina from just north of Downtown up to Kirkpatrick has ridiculous potential due to the architecture, its location, some investment, it has some housing above some of the businesses, quite a few restaurants, arguably the most diverse neighborhood in Upstate NY nearby and it already has walkable infrastructure, among other things. It is one of the oldest areas of the city and with the move towards density, walkability and proximity to employment/entertainment, it is an area to keep an eye on. For those that don't know what we are talking about: https://www.google.com/maps/place/N+...ccf489!6m1!1e1

City of Syracuse -> TNT Tomorrow's Neighborhoods Today

Also, here are the business districts that were mentioned earlier in the thread, Elmwood(South Ave): https://www.google.com/maps/search/e...7i13312!8i6656

Court-Woodlawn(Grant Boulevard/Butternut Circle): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0721...7i13312!8i6656

Valley(South Salina Street): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0015...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Eastwood(James Street): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0685...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Eastwood Neighborhood Association

Old 03-25-2016, 11:50 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,866,272 times
Syracuse named one of America's top 10 'most exciting mid-sized cities' | syracuse.com

Sounds like it is..(y)

Old 03-26-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Concur 100%. That wouldn't be a bad area to have a market on the weekends. Why do you think of the current location near Destiny? Do you think they could support two outdoor markets in the area?

Old 03-26-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Thanks for the link!

I love the term, "patented excitement-judging algorithms." I think Armory Square is a nice center spot, however, I also tend to think what they need to build off of is having more semi-urban areas that attract people to live in the area. Ultimately people moving to an area, especially looking at current trends, are looking for something that is either in the city, or nearby. The suburbs will always be the suburbs for people with children, but to raise the overall profile I think Syracuse does need to move in that direction of making the city itself warmer, and Syracuse tends to suffer a bit in those offerings.

It can be a confusing place to navigate for people taking a first glance at the city. Unlike a lot of cities I have lived, in my opinion at least, Syracuse offers no significant divide between undesirable neighborhoods and desirable ones right off the downtown.

Obviously, there are places people tend to avoid (don't live off Shonnard!), but the dividing lines are typically seem far more stark in most cities.

In Syracuse, on the North side notably (which clearly is the area I'm more familiar with), it feels like you have a lot of good street/good street/bad street/good street/bad street/bad street combinations. Which is incredibly interesting, and I think healthy for revitalization as people aren't so cut off from each other and segregated, but also confusing to new entrants who don't want to move to a suburb and aren't going to be moving to the Southside. That's why Wescott, Little Italy, etc...are good areas to up the profile of.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntaxErr View Post
Concur 100%. That wouldn't be a bad area to have a market on the weekends. Why do you think of the current location near Destiny? Do you think they could support two outdoor markets in the area?
It may be possible, but the Inner Harbor/Lakefront area isn't too far from the Regional Market. It would be cool to have a seafood/fish market in the Inner Harbor or perhaps an International market somewhere in between the North Side and Inner Harbor due to the very diverse population in the inner North Side neighborhoods.

An aquarium in the Inner Harbor would be nice too.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-26-2016 at 02:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area