Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 11:39 AM

25 posts, read 34,833 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,

we (I, my wife and 3 kids - 14, 10, 3) will be moving from Germany to the Syracuse area.
We are German citizens, only my son is a US citizen. We have lived in south Wisconsin (Kenosha area) for about 18 months before we had to move back to Germany for job reasons.
Now we again got the opportunity to move to the US and this time it will be the Syracuse area.
I will be traveling a lot but i will also be having days where I will have to be at the office in the Pulaski area.
I was wondering what areas you can recommend to raise a family, and what areas combine good schools with convenient shopping. We are not used to have a very long commute nor are we used to drive too long distances to buy groceries.
Our plan is to buy a house with at least 4 BR, not more expensive than 280k-350k.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts and comments and hope for help.

Best
Florian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 12:38 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
There are quite a few threads like this, but given where you will be working, I'd say to look into Cicero/eastern Clay due to proximity to shopping, good schools(North Syracuse or Central Square if in the Brewerton portion of Cicero) and proximity to I-81, as well as Hancock International Airport.

You could actually look into the Watertown area and if you did, I'd say that the General Brown SD(Brownville, Dexter, Glen Park, parts of the town of Pamelia) would be the best bet due to proximity to shopping on Arsenal Street, its "International" airport and good schools. Watertown is a smaller area though and General Brown is a smaller SD that North Syracuse or Central Square.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-27-2016 at 12:52 PM..

Old 06-27-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There are quite a few threads like this, but given where you will be working, I'd say to look into Cicero/eastern Clay due to proximity to shopping, good schools(North Syracuse or Central Square if in the Brewerton portion of Cicero) and proximity to I-81, as well as Hancock International Airport.

You could actually look into the Watertown area and if you did, I'd say that the General Brown SD(Brownville, Dexter, Glen Park, parts of the town of Pamelia) would be the best bet due to proximity to shopping on Arsenal Street, its "International" airport and good schools. Watertown is a smaller area though and General Brown is a smaller SD that North Syracuse or Central Square.
Another thing you and your family may like is that both of those areas are near lakes with beaches.

Also, Pulaski does have some shopping, but it isn't as extensive as the other areas mentioned. Route 11(aka Brewerton Road) is the area for shopping in Cicero/eastern Clay.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:44 PM

1,991 posts, read 900,861 times
Consider Radisson which is north of Syracuse near the village of Baldwinsville. Very good school system. Fantastic place to raise children. Great for adults as well with lots of walking trails and cross country skiing in the winter. Lots of shopping 10 minutes away. Homes are well built and well kept. About 60 minutes to commute to Pulaski. Lake effect snow in the winter will be very challenging for your commute though.

Radisson Community Association, Inc - Home Page

Old 06-29-2016, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Consider Radisson which is north of Syracuse near the village of Baldwinsville. Very good school system. Fantastic place to raise children. Great for adults as well with lots of walking trails and cross country skiing in the winter. Lots of shopping 10 minutes away. Homes are well built and well kept. About 60 minutes to commute to Pulaski. Lake effect snow in the winter will be very challenging for your commute though.

Radisson Community Association, Inc - Home Page
While it is a nice area, that will add another 15-20 minutes to the commute, regardless of the time of the year. Plus, that means an HOA as well.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:06 AM

Here are some home listings for the Pulaski SD: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Pulaski is a walkable village and may be something to consider.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here are some home listings for the Pulaski SD: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Pulaski is a walkable village and may be something to consider.

Here is a street view:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.5666...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old 06-29-2016, 04:41 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times
Brewerton and Cicero would get you on I-81 to get up to Pulaski quickly, when you're in the office. You'd be a quick 10-minutes from Hancock airport for travel and have access to many shopping areas.

A word of warning:

-Cicero (13039) is very, VERY congested, as traffic goes.
-Brewerton (13029) would get you a little outside of that and with clearer highway access.
*The two areas are very well known for their mosquitoes.

-Baldwinsville/Lysander (13027) and northern Liverpool (13090)/Clay (13041) would make getting to Pulaski longer, as I-81 (to get to Pulaski) is awkward to get to from them... but the areas themselves would be lovely for your family, especially if you're going to be traveling often. And access to the airport is still very quick and easy.

(I've provided the zip codes above so that you can look through real estate yourselves.)

Old 06-29-2016, 06:32 PM

^ Good points, as the areas in eastern Cicero near Cicero Swamp are more apt to be prone to having issues with Mosquitos. I'd say the area east of South Bay Rd/about a mile west of Bridgeport/a mile or so south of the Oneida Lake shore and a couple miles north of 481.

Brewerton due to being further NW and the areas of Cicero west of South Bay Rd over to I-81 are generally fine.

You do get traffic on Route 31 around the I-81 Cicero ramp during Rush Hour, but you also get traffic on Route 31 at I-481, several miles west, as well. So, that be something else to keep in mind if considering the Baldwinsville/northern Liverpool areas west of I-481, as Route 31 is the route you would take in order to get to I-81 North to Pulaski. There is plenty of big box shopping in this portion of Route 31 as well.

13041 is a "wild card", as it is west of I-81(so no threat of Mosquitos), it is still close to I-81, it is very close to big box shopping on Route 11(aka Brewerton Road) and you actually have 2 options in order to get on I-81. You can go to the Cicero ramp or you could actually take a quick drive on I-481 to I-81 North(it will say Watertown).

When I refer to 13041, I'm thinking of the Caughdenoy Road area in between Route 31 and the wetland area just north of I-481. Most of the housing is north of the road and it is an area with 1970's to current housing development. Nice solidly middle class area, with a relatively decent mix of residents in parts of it.

Also, there are 2 libraries north of Route 31, with the Cicero branch of the Northern Onondaga Public Library(aka NOPL) near the Cicero Twin Rinks Ice Rinks and another in Brewerton(on the town of Cicero side). There is also another branch in the village of North Syracuse.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Cicero-North Syracuse HS is the biggest high school in the area, grade for grade. It is a 10-12th grade high school. 9th grade is at North Syracuse Jr. High in the village of North Syracuse. It is a 8-9 grade school with about 1700 students. C-NS HS has about 2200 students or so. In the housing areas mentioned, the elementary schools are Bear Rd., Cicero and Lakeshore, with Gillette Road as the 5-7 grade middle school.

Paul V. Moore High is Central Square's HS and is a 9-12th grade high school with about 1400-1500 students. I believe the there is 1 6-8th grade middle school and a 3-5th grade intermediate school. Besides Brewerton, some of the housing areas mentioned for that district may be zoned for Hastings-Mallory or Millard Hawk Primary elementary schools, if I'm not mistaken. I believe Millard Hawk students go to the intermediate school after 2nd grade.

Both of those SD's offer Pre-K programs as well.

Liverpool has about 2800 students in its 9-12th grade HS and Baldwinsville's Charles W. Baker High has about 1400-1500 students in its 10-12th grade HS. Pulaski may have between 1000-1500 students in the whole district. General Brown has about 1500-1600 students or so in its SD.

Hancock International Airport, which is primarily in the North Syracuse SD(some is partially in the ES-M SD), is only a couple of ramps south of the Cicero ramps.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-29-2016 at 07:01 PM..

Old 07-01-2016, 08:36 AM

One other Watertown area area/school district that may work is the Adams/Adams Center area in the South Jefferson SD. It is a little more small town like, but has some newer homes in a suburban like setting. RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

South Jefferson is a solid/good school district and the commute to work from this area is about 25 minutes, give or take. Watertown is a quick drive on I-81 for shopping and even Syracuse is less than an hour away(about 50-55 minutes). There is a grocery store and a few other stores in the area, but that is pretty much it. This is if you would even consider this type of community.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-01-2016 at 08:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area