Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 05:54 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,272,938 times

Advertisements

The first thing is having lived in NY for a long time. They love these "coupons" rather then actual cuts because they can be taken away. The old system was pretty soild so I didn't worry to much. As soon as they put all the eggs in Albany's basket I knew it was on the block.

The second thing was from a news link here, possibly put up by you, about how Cumo says the state is flat broke and deeply in debt and STAR is one of the cuts.

The third thing is STAR only benefits people Upstate and the state is controlled by the city. Lets keep it real, the city has had afew good years so they left STAR alone. But the noose is tightening around the city and they will whack STAR with extreme prejudice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 06:04 AM

93,428 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I'm not putting words in your mouth, you tout STAR in most postings I keep saying buy a home based on the taxes and if you qualify great, nice surprise. I don't think regular STAR is going to provide that big a savings.

1) The 10k tax bill was the home in the City of Syracuse, the other about 7.6k still an excessive amount. I
am not spending the day pulling listings to find a more attractive tax obligation.
2) I know that CNY extend beyond Syracuse your central NY housing link cast a wide net. I would not
look at Alexandria Bay if I was considering Syracuse.
3) I simply used a comparative tax rate I know, most counties in NY are just as bad with Monroe/City of
Rochester topping at $45 per 1k assessed.
4) The national median map is only showing what an average home goes for and I see Syracuse value
went down (ours went up 8%). If you leave a low cost area and move towards the main steam how
much buying power will you have?
STAR is pretty much a given, as many listings will not only show taxes, but also STAR saving figures as well. There are other aspects that were mentioned as well.

I already pulled up homes with a range of property taxes within the immediate area as well.

What 10k tax bill in the city of Syracuse are you referring to?

What map are you referring to?

Moving towards the mainstream? Moving(or all of this for that matter) will also include job/pay considerations, among other things depending upon one’s situation.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:14 AM

What he's saying is clear to me but your looking at it with a Upstate mind. Upstate is a odd place.

My sister lives in a high dollar area. She paid 250K for her dump.

I live Upstate and paid 100K for an equal dump.

In about 10 years when we both plan to sell she will get about 450K which will put her in a good place to buy again in the same area or doo really well in a cheaper area.

I will get about 60-75K which would mean I have to stay in the same area or take a huge nut in a different area.

And its the taxes that are causing this problem.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:19 AM

I meant to add that my sister and I make about the same money so both struggle with the payment.

Here because of the amount.

Me because of the taxes.

Tax money is almost pure waste (like the film studio) and is gone forever.

A house can go up in value and make you well off or even rich. Or it could go down. There is some risk of coarse.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:25 AM

19,227 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
STAR is pretty much a given, as many listings will not only show taxes, but also STAR saving figures as well. There are other aspects that were mentioned as well.

I already pulled up homes with a range of property taxes within the immediate area as well.

What 10k tax bill in the city of Syracuse are you referring to?

What map are you referring to?

Moving towards the mainstream? Moving(or all of this for that matter) will also include job/pay considerations, among other things depending upon one’s situation.
1) Fine, believe in STAR I won't
2) Your tax obligation averages $40 per $1K assessed in your region. Its not reasonable no matter how
you wish to describe it.
3) The 10k+ tax burden was on one of the listing in the OP posted
4) Median price map that you refrenced when you said "Hence the reason I posted the nation median
home price map".
5) Mainstream, where home prices follow the national average not well below it.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:32 AM

Cuomo budget raises $1 billion in new taxes to pay for spending plans - The Buffalo News

Link to the first shot in the battle for STAR.

The jackals aren't feeding yet but that gazelle has a broke leg and she's dinner for sure.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:02 AM

201 posts, read 298,709 times
Yes, based on what I have seen, unfortunately it is. The new builds immediately lose value when purchased. Newer homes (but not new builds) probably have the best chance of retaining, and possibly gaining, value. Older homes (like in the villages) are my preferred type, but you need to put so much money into them (which is fine if you plan to stay for awhile), but in the end you don't get the money out because there is only a small percentage of homebuyers interested in living in a home from the turn of the century (1900, not 2000) and there is a ceiling on what you can get for that type of house, regardless of what improvements you make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is that completely true given the value information posted earlier?

Old 01-18-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Cuomo budget raises $1 billion in new taxes to pay for spending plans - The Buffalo News

Link to the first shot in the battle for STAR.

The jackals aren't feeding yet but that gazelle has a broke leg and she's dinner for sure.
I saw that, but reading that article comes out like a power play on his part. Meaning, he may be playing things up to make any recovery look good for him, as it was mentioned in the article.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
1) Fine, believe in STAR I won't
2) Your tax obligation averages $40 per $1K assessed in your region. Its not reasonable no matter how
you wish to describe it.
3) The 10k+ tax burden was on one of the listing in the OP posted
4) Median price map that you refrenced when you said "Hence the reason I posted the nation median
home price map".
5) Mainstream, where home prices follow the national average not well below it.
1) You don't need to "believe in STAR" in VA. I'm just saying what occurs in terms of listings

2) No one denied the property tax rates. They were posted in the beginning by myself and other posters.

3) There is only one home the OP posted that is within the city of Syracuse and it doesn't show a 10k property tax bill(the one of Brattle Road, which is Sedgwick and one of the nicest area of the city, if not the nicest)

4) The -0.2 is pretty in line with what I stated in terms of the area not having big booms or busts. It is pretty much a stable area in that regard. With that said, it will also vary within the area(Onondaga, Oswego and Madison counties). With that said, it is interesting that the same map showed increased values for the other Upstate NY areas.

5) There are other areas with below median home prices that are growing and still get value growth. With that said, the Housing Opportunity Index is still important, as it shows how much of a market is available to most people in an area.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthedream View Post
Yes, based on what I have seen, unfortunately it is. The new builds immediately lose value when purchased. Newer homes (but not new builds) probably have the best chance of retaining, and possibly gaining, value. Older homes (like in the villages) are my preferred type, but you need to put so much money into them (which is fine if you plan to stay for awhile), but in the end you don't get the money out because there is only a small percentage of homebuyers interested in living in a home from the turn of the century (1900, not 2000) and there is a ceiling on what you can get for that type of house, regardless of what improvements you make.
I'm also wondering if it is a matter of location and perhaps age. Here are some homes I posted in another thread that are older, but seems to generally have improvements/updates and are generally in walkable areas. Some are in the city, but some are in villages as well: //www.city-data.com/forum/50673459-post24.html

These may appeal to the OP and some like him that are used to walkability and can exercise educational options whether within the public system or with private/charters schools if they go with a city location.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-18-2018 at 07:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area