Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 04:55 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Or just keep the school boundaries the same. For instance, Portland has it's own school district, but there is also the Parkrose School District, which is also within the city limits of Portland. So, it can be done. It would be like Eastwood having it's own school district or imagine the city of Syracuse annexing Lyncourt, but keeping the Lyncourt School District.

Home | Parkrose School District
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe due to desegregation laws, the schools would have to be integrated. I know in other cities that have consolidated city and county, like Louisville, they have forced busing, much to the chagrin of many people who live in the wealthier parts of Jefferson County. I would imagine this isn't an issue in Portland because it is overwhelmingly white.

Consolidation is something that gets kicked around in upstate New York from time to time. Especially in Buffalo. It never really gets any traction because people in the suburbs are so afraid of being connected to city schools and crime. I don't see it happening in Syracuse, it has only worked thus far in the midwest and southern cities.

Of course, it's a big joke that school desegregation laws are unable to bridge the city limits.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:12 PM

93,234 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe due to desegregation laws, the schools would have to be integrated. I know in other cities that have consolidated city and county, like Louisville, they have forced busing, much to the chagrin of many people who live in the wealthier parts of Jefferson County. I would imagine this isn't an issue in Portland because it is overwhelmingly white.

Consolidation is something that gets kicked around in upstate New York from time to time. Especially in Buffalo. It never really gets any traction because people in the suburbs are so afraid of being connected to city schools and crime. I don't see it happening in Syracuse, it has only worked thus far in the midwest and southern cities.

Of course, it's a big joke that school desegregation laws are unable to bridge the city limits.
Actually, Louisville and Seattle's plans for integration were knocked down due to using race as a factor. So, those districts use other criteria like income. I believe the court case occurred about a year or two ago. What was crazy about the case, was that Louisville did their plan voluntarily. So, it wasn't forced by the government.

I think there are other examples of cities having more than one school district or parts of school districts within city limits. I think the Waverly Community district in Lansing, MI and the Carmen-Ainsworth district in Flint, MI are examples of this, but I could be wrong.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Actually, Louisville and Seattle's plans for integration were knocked down due to using race as a factor. So, those districts use other criteria like income. I believe the court case occurred about a year or two ago. What was crazy about the case, was that Louisville did their plan voluntarily. So, it wasn't forced by the government.

I think there are other examples of cities having more than one school district or parts of school districts within city limits. I think the Waverly Community district in Lansing, MI and the Carmen-Ainsworth district in Flint, MI are examples of this, but I could be wrong.
Interesting. You seem to know more about this than me.

Are you saying that it's now illegal to integrate a school system on the basis of race?

Old 03-18-2009, 05:23 PM

161 posts, read 355,608 times
I went to Westhill, whose district includes portions of the City of Syracuse like Winworth, some of Onondaga Hill, and the area to the east of Avery across from Burnet Park. Its definitely possible to have school districts that are discontinuous with town boundaries. In fact, Westhill is completely divorced from any town boundaries at all. Its partially in the city, partially in Geddess, and partially in Onondaga. I think that diversity was actually one of its big strengths.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Interesting. You seem to know more about this than me.

Are you saying that it's now illegal to integrate a school system on the basis of race?
I think it is saying that race shouldn't be the only or possibly the main factor. Here's more on the case:http://www.naacpldf.org/content/pdf/voluntary/Seattle_Louisville_briefing_paper.pdf (broken link)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/20/ma...gration-t.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/29/wa...29schools.html

Old 03-18-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I think it is saying that race shouldn't be the only or possibly the main factor. Here's more on the case:http://www.naacpldf.org/content/pdf/voluntary/Seattle_Louisville_briefing_paper.pdf (broken link)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/20/ma...gration-t.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/29/wa...29schools.html
I just read through all 3 of those links. Very interesting. I must have been zoning when they were hashing this out last year.

It sounds like it was a totally sensible decision with very few negative repercussions. You were right, the decision leaves some room for racial assignment but economic factors are paramount.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I just read through all 3 of those links. Very interesting. I must have been zoning when they were hashing this out last year.

It sounds like it was a totally sensible decision with very few negative repercussions. You were right, the decision leaves some room for racial assignment but economic factors are paramount.
I think Buffalo is like that due to it's magnet system. So, it integrates the schools without using race.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justflow1983 View Post
I went to Westhill, whose district includes portions of the City of Syracuse like Winworth, some of Onondaga Hill, and the area to the east of Avery across from Burnet Park. Its definitely possible to have school districts that are discontinuous with town boundaries. In fact, Westhill is completely divorced from any town boundaries at all. Its partially in the city, partially in Geddess, and partially in Onondaga. I think that diversity was actually one of its big strengths.
Actually, the district isn't inside of the city of Syracuse, but there are kids that live in Tipp Hill and some other neighborhoods close by in the city that would pay to go to Westhill schools. When i went to school there, we had kids in my senior class that lived in the city of Syracuse and in the Onondaga Central School District that paid to go there.

Westhill just comes from the Hill in Onondaga Hill and the West from Westvale, the part of the town of Geddes that goes to those schools.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:23 PM

161 posts, read 355,608 times
Winkworth kids don't pay tuition, and they're Westhill district/City of Syracuse address. Its where Driscoll lives. There were a couple of other pieces like that too. I know the roots of the name, but I was just pointing it out because of its lack of a direct town association. You're right about the tuition kids, I knew a bunch of them as well. Especially after Project Lead The Way gave them all the pre-engineering gear that you could get RIT credit and stuff from, there were plenty of kids from North Syracuse who were going there for that stuff.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justflow1983 View Post
Winkworth kids don't pay tuition, and they're Westhill district/City of Syracuse address. Its where Driscoll lives. There were a couple of other pieces like that too. I know the roots of the name, but I was just pointing it out because of its lack of a direct town association. You're right about the tuition kids, I knew a bunch of them as well. Especially after Project Lead The Way gave them all the pre-engineering gear that you could get RIT credit and stuff from, there were plenty of kids from North Syracuse who were going there for that stuff.
It depends on where you live in Winkworth. Actually, some kids that live up there go to Corcoran too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area