Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 08:06 PM

13 posts, read 83,086 times

Advertisements

I am currently a resident of Cazenovia, soon to be relocating for a job opportunity. Caz is a small town, situated on a lake, about a 30 minute drive from Syracuse. It's close to a skihill which makes the winter more enjoyable. The schools are great too. Definitely a place to consider for your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 04:49 PM

6 posts, read 22,302 times
We live in Clifton Park, NY and might have a job oppty in Syracuse, NY - was a big change from LI to Syracuse? We lived in Bay Shore for 10 years before living here for 4.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:20 PM

3,523 posts, read 9,438,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
As far as where to live, I would not recommend living directly in Syracuse. However, the areas around it are nice.
Even someone from England agrees with you on that point.....

YouTube - 4th Blog: News from Syracuse 1 "Microphones in the Snow"

YouTube - Blog 5: News from Syracuse 2 "Voices in the Wind"

Here is where she says it.....

YouTube - Blog 6: Home, Beards and Prophecies

Nice videos IMO!

Last edited by bellafinzi; 07-19-2007 at 06:12 PM..

Old 07-18-2007, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,728 times
i grew up in auburn ny about half hour from syracuse, auburn is a great town if your looking for cheap houseung and its a nice little quaint town i live in portsmouth nh which is on the seacoast were moveing back home in 2 years and i can,t wait!!!!!

Old 07-19-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclancy5 View Post
i grew up in auburn ny about half hour from syracuse, auburn is a great town if your looking for cheap houseung and its a nice little quaint town i live in portsmouth nh which is on the seacoast were moveing back home in 2 years and i can,t wait!!!!!
Great to hear you're moving back home! Good luck with your move!

Old 07-22-2007, 05:54 PM

7 posts, read 22,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
As far as where to live, I would not recommend living directly in Syracuse. However, the areas around it are nice, Liverpool, Baldwinsville,Central Square, Oswego, Fulton, Tully, Marcellus,etc.
Can anyone explain with an honest opinion why living in Syracuse is not recommended? Is it high crime? Ghetto?

Would that be the entire city of Syracuse, or just the downtown area?

I'm seriously considering a move to Syracuse because of the great housing prices (houses under 100K). Any nice areas (in Syracuse) besides the surrounding areas?

Old 07-23-2007, 09:47 AM

17 posts, read 78,503 times
There are nice neighborhoods in the city of Syracuse. Try looking in the Strathmore area, and around Woodland Reservoir and Bellevue Country Club.

Also, too many people are automatically suggesting Fayetteville-Manlius. West Genesee and Westhill are also good school districts, and I dare say the houses are a little cheaper.

If you absolutely MUST have a gigantic front lawn and a huge house where you can yell "Riiiiii-coooola" and have it echo down the front foyer, then try Fayetteville-Manlius or Clay. If you don't mind a smaller house (Cape Cods, ranches, etc) and having a lawn that you can actually maintain without needing a riding mower, try Westvale, Fairmount or Taunton.

Moderator cut: original user name: NYCO

Last edited by bellafinzi; 08-03-2007 at 11:52 AM..

Old 07-23-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandaful1 View Post
Can anyone explain with an honest opinion why living in Syracuse is not recommended? Is it high crime? Ghetto?
My Reasons for not recommending the City are....crime, bad schools, overall depressing built environment.

The built environment in the City of Syracuse is old and run-down looking in many, many neighborhoods. Most homes have overgrown landscaping, some homes are boarded up, many homes are in need of a fresh coat of paint and/or repairs. The main streets are just as depressing as the neighborhoods. Overgrown brush, ugly old buildings with no aesthetic quality. Then there is the litter.

The City of Syracuse is so small, only 25 sq. miles, that even if you're in a nice neighborhood like Strathmore or Sedgwick, you're not far from a bad neighborhood. That's why I generally recommend avoiding the city and search for a place to live in suburbs. The suburbs are much safer, have better schools and are more pleasing to the eyes.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 11-15-2010 at 03:42 PM..

Old 07-31-2007, 10:48 AM

17 posts, read 78,503 times
Well, the Syracuse area obviously has a bit of a problem with suburbanites not knowing much about the city. (It's not quite as bad a divide as in, say, Rochester, but still there.)

If you don't consider the nicer Syracuse neighborhoods you are really missing out on a lot. It depends on what you want. Personally I find the "nice" suburbs (particularly to the east) to be kind of snooty and overrated and certainly the new housing developments out in the country are ugly and soulless. But that is some people's idea of gracious living. Being in a huge house with a huge front yard with no trees and having to drive to do your shopping at the big box store with the massive parking lot.

If you have lived in a city before, Syracuse has some neighborhoods which are safe and pretty. Come on -- all cities do. My brother lives in the outer Strathmore area and has never had a problem with crime.

There IS a happy medium in the older suburbs, but I think most people really want those humungous "country" homes.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:01 PM

919 posts, read 3,186,710 times
AS far as I can remember...I hope to move back that way within a few months or so, the only area that was really bad was in southern syracuse, everyone told me to steer clear and one day I got lost there and had fruit thrown at my car, so hard that it cracked my window..I am looking to move to east syrcause this time, I loved onondoga hill but I want more anemiites this time, without having to go into the city proper or to camillus..and the FM are the best schools, westhill is second in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area