Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Syracuse, New York area future, immigration, refugees settling, New York state to lower property taxes, high paying jobs, create better national image, become the next Austin, Texas

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 01:21 PM

57 posts, read 147,636 times

Advertisements

For what its worth...I love it here. I grew up in Liverpool/Clay and always planned on moving when I first had the chance to. Like most people, I always thought the grass would be greener somewhere else. Well, after I graduated from College (with an engineering degree) I moved to San Diego (my ultimate grass is greener location) with friends. Well, after living there for over a year I moved back to Clay and haven't looked back since.

I visit every now and then which is fun but I can honestly say that I haven't regretted my decision one bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 06:41 AM

7 posts, read 27,066 times
Wow there are some very serious generalizations in the above posts. I'm from a "hick" town outside of syracuse, and have moved because of work many times, to small towns around the country....and now I'm moving back to Syracuse. My age is 31, so i'm probably fitting right into the demographics mentioned.
Hate to tell you, but it's bad everywhere unless you're a professional with a specialized trade or can offer a unique attribute to an industry that includes demand.
Framing Syracuse & outlying areas makes it seems much more dire than it actually is, when you step in with consideration for the entire country's economic problems. Personifying towns by attaching attributes, especially negative ones, doesn't do a thing to further any influx of people. For example look at Utica; they've enacted the refugee idea and while providing a smaller micro-economic upsurge, what it has done has turned the city into a stop-gap point for aspiring refugees, ie they leave when they can. Can you tell me utica has anything to keep them there?
And because they are leaving, does that make any difference in the image of utica? People move to chase jobs. In this day and age, it's what young people have to do- employment is that shaky, trust me, a move a year for my fiance and I are living proof that location is not always the fundamental reason for staying-or leaving. When we move to a new town the "aura" of the area puts a significant color on our perceptions of the area, but it's not enough to leave unless the work leaves and we follow it.
So when someone comes to a forum like this one and reads some of the things thrown around like "hicks leave", and "the good people" are leaving, are you doing anyone a favor?
You live here, and it could be improved. Scaring off people who have the choice about living in this area does nothing to improve anyone's situation. It's not only the individual I'm talking about- it's businesses...if you had money to invest and were scouting the location, would your online attitude about SU help or hurt the situation?

Old 09-25-2008, 02:08 PM

94,596 posts, read 125,701,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealia View Post
Wow there are some very serious generalizations in the above posts. I'm from a "hick" town outside of syracuse, and have moved because of work many times, to small towns around the country....and now I'm moving back to Syracuse. My age is 31, so i'm probably fitting right into the demographics mentioned.
Hate to tell you, but it's bad everywhere unless you're a professional with a specialized trade or can offer a unique attribute to an industry that includes demand.
Framing Syracuse & outlying areas makes it seems much more dire than it actually is, when you step in with consideration for the entire country's economic problems. Personifying towns by attaching attributes, especially negative ones, doesn't do a thing to further any influx of people. For example look at Utica; they've enacted the refugee idea and while providing a smaller micro-economic upsurge, what it has done has turned the city into a stop-gap point for aspiring refugees, ie they leave when they can. Can you tell me utica has anything to keep them there?
And because they are leaving, does that make any difference in the image of utica? People move to chase jobs. In this day and age, it's what young people have to do- employment is that shaky, trust me, a move a year for my fiance and I are living proof that location is not always the fundamental reason for staying-or leaving. When we move to a new town the "aura" of the area puts a significant color on our perceptions of the area, but it's not enough to leave unless the work leaves and we follow it.
So when someone comes to a forum like this one and reads some of the things thrown around like "hicks leave", and "the good people" are leaving, are you doing anyone a favor?
You live here, and it could be improved. Scaring off people who have the choice about living in this area does nothing to improve anyone's situation. It's not only the individual I'm talking about- it's businesses...if you had money to invest and were scouting the location, would your online attitude about SU help or hurt the situation?
Very good points and I think people need think about some things before they post something on forums like this.

As for the refugee thing, Utica actually has a strong Bosnian community that makes up about 10% of population. They have started businesses and there's even a bank that they formed in the community. There is a good sized SE Asian(mainly Vietnamese) and East African(mainly Sudanese) refugee communities there too.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:27 AM

49 posts, read 185,497 times
Bella your views are wrong IMHO and you don't seem to have visited many areas outside of the Syracuse metro in your life to put what is going on in perspective. What will draw decent jobs in CNY is lower taxes and a descent transportation system; we need a Light Rail system. But even if this does not happen then the cost of gas will drive folks back to the city and away from the outlying burbs where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area