Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 10:44 AM

34 posts, read 97,905 times

Advertisements

I have a question. Are there any driving schools in Onandaga/Oswego counties that would offer snow driving lessons for anyone who moves from non-snowy regions?

I'm only asking because I've noticed quite a few people in the Syracuse forum who've said they've moved from places like Las Vegas and other points south. I don't imagine there's much snow in Vegas (though I know Nevada itself gets some in the mountains, it would probably be a different type of snow).

Plus, if my hubby and I ever move up there, he has no clue how to drive in the snow up there! Me, I'm from Ontario, I'm used to pushing my little 2 wheel drive Honda or Subaru thru 3 feet of snow with no problem. He on the other hand has difficulty with a 4WD truck (but he'll argue otherwise of course )

The snow we get down here in Western NC is totally different than up there, its sticky and wet down here, and in the 9 years I've known him, there hasn't been any more than 2 inches of it at a time. Which kills me when everyone panics and schools, shops and all business shut down for a day or two :lol:

I miss snow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 12:38 PM

4 posts, read 10,565 times
The only driving school I know of is Branches, and I'm sure if you offered them money they'd teach you how to drive in the snow.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:00 PM

97 posts, read 417,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Of course there are power outages in New York state in the winter. I wasn't aware that anyone insisted otherwise.??

However, power outages are not rampant in the city of Syracuse or its suburbs in the winter time. That is the point being made in the previous posts.

There's a wild difference between NY State - Ronkonkoma and NY State - Syracuse and NY State - Malone. Your article is addressing the outages in New York STATE, not Syracuse specifically. Yes - Syracuse has winter power outages... but not frequently. Not even once per winter season, for most of us.
Not to beat a dead horse, but i can't remember the last time we had a winter power outage in the City of Syracuse. Blizzards don't cause power outages, we've had a few in my lifetime when ice coats the power lines. The previous poster is right, it's not even a once a season occurrence.

More importantly, most homes are heated by natural gas or, in some cases outside the city, heating oil. Electricity is not used for heat, so you won't freeze in a power outage. Yes, you should be careful with candles. No, you don't need a generator.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:27 AM

I saw in the news that NY and the rest of the North east got hit with their first snow storm of the season.

How have you all fared so far? This is kind of early for that much snow isn't it?

Old 10-29-2008, 06:25 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,999,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drool-Collector View Post
I saw in the news that NY and the rest of the North east got hit with their first snow storm of the season.

How have you all fared so far? This is kind of early for that much snow isn't it?
At least the city of Syracuse only got hit with an inch or two, just made things a bit sloppy. On my end of town at least, got less than a half inch that actually stuck yesterday, and that was just on my car

Generally speaking, snow's fair game between the week of Halloween and Mother's Day, although it tends not to stick around on the extremes of that range. Anything that stuck yesterday and that sticks today'll likely be gone by Friday, looking at the forecast.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:20 AM

3,515 posts, read 9,432,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drool-Collector View Post

Out in the boonies and the higher elevations (higher than 1,000 feet) had a true snowstorm. Here in the northern suburbs of Syracuse we only had a dusting to an inch last night that all melted by this morning. We are expecting lake effect flurries today. By Halloween this Friday, the meteorologists forecast temperatures going back to normal with a high of 57 and sunny.

Normally, the first snow that sticks on the ground is in the middle of November. Seems like every 4 or 5 years we have a late October snowfall. Never amounts to much here in the Syracuse area. If it did, we'd have major problems since many leaves are still stuck on the trees this time of year. For example, right now only half the leaves have fallen off the trees here in the Town of Clay.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:41 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,762,255 times
I would LOVE to point out - lol, I'm a wee bit evil - that while there was a power outage for 100,000 customers in central NY yesterday, from this storm...

NOT A SINGLE ONE was in Syracuse, its suburbs, or the entire COUNTY of Onondaga. All of the households that lost power were in Cortland, Oneida, Madison, and Oswego counties.

Here in Manlius, there was a lot of bark but no bite. Blizzard like snowfall though hardly anything stuck... but that didn't stop me from playing in it after I put the kids to bed. There is little more relaxing, for me, than to stand in heavy snowfall and just let the wind take your breathe away.

(it's hard to take pics of snow in the dark! lol)

Old 10-29-2008, 03:04 PM

3,515 posts, read 9,432,978 times
proulxfamily, looks like you had more snow than out there in Manlius.... compared to here in the northern suburbs. The most I saw on the ground here was a light coating with the taller blades of grass still visible.

I just flipped to the Weather Channel. As usual, TWC makes it look like Syracuse was hard hit by a blizzard/snowstorm yesterday and today. The Weather Channel refuses like to point out that only the rural places where few people live had the heavy snow. The urbanized areas around Albany, Syracuse and Rochester hard very little snow from this storm. I didn't even see a snowplow out for this nonevent.

As I said in the past, Syracuse gets a bad rap since the media (both local and national) never differentiates between the populated areas of the Syracuse area (city and suburbs) and the rural outlying areas (Oswego County/Tug Hill/higher elevations to the south and southeast). That is one reason why I refuse to watch the Weather Channel anymore. That channel has really gone downhill from when I was growing up. Used to be accurate and professional, now its all biased and agenda filled.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:25 AM

Have you ever noticed that there never seems to be any weather above the border on the Weather Channel reports? It always baffled me, being Canadian of course, sometimes I'd like to see what the weather's doing up home. But apparently, there isn't any. Heck, even an earthquake couldn't penetrate the border according to The Weather Channel. But then I called my Mum and she said it got to her too.

The Weather Channel is stupid

Old 10-30-2008, 02:39 PM

6 posts, read 23,324 times
I live in the Oswego county town of Mexico and have lived in Pulaski & Sandy Creek as well. Anyone moving to this area from regions that don't get lake effect snow are in for a shock. It ain't all bad if you like the white stuff, but snow blowers are a must. You WILL need to have your roof shoveled at least once each winter. Two years ago we had a week where we got 9+ FEET of snow, yes I said FEET. That was an extreme, but I couldn't count how many times we have had 2-3 feet over a 2 day period, that happens a few times a year.

TuggHill Tina has it right, if you live due east of Lake Ontario then you will get some snow every day the wind blows from the West, even if the rest of the state is sunny.

BTW we have also lost power on three occaisions because of heavy ice storms and a generator is a nice thing to have in times like those. I saw other posts here that were claiming we never lose power but I don't know what they were smoking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area