Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:12 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Thanks, ckh. I wasn't able to get to Mill Run Park today but I'll definitely get pics the next time we walk over.

It should be noted that Pavone's Pizza is across from the shops you see on the right in my first post. Pavone's has the best pizza and wings in the metro area, so it's a HUGE asset to the village, I think. LOL!

P&C Grocery store, CVS, and the post office are also located within the village, though the first two are more hidden, thankfully. I love that we're able to walk anywhere we need to. In this challenging national economy, I hope more people start recognizing and APPRECIATING the convenience, community, and "green" potential of upstate villages. We certainly are pleased with it.

very pretty. closest wegmans? how far to NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 08:15 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
Wegmans is on East Genesee Street in the nearby Lyndon area of the town of DeWitt.

It's about 4 hours from NYC, give or take.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:05 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
Ahhhh - our beloved Wegmans... LOL. 4.6 miles from the village center to Wegmans in Dewitt.

NYC is 4 hours - give or take.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:47 PM

406 posts, read 1,450,532 times
Great pictures. When we moved here two years ago, it was Caz we fell in love with. The first time I saw Manlius was while I was killing time waiting for the home inspection appointment. I was very pleased to say the least to find another nice town so near. Great town, with a nice library and stores.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:11 AM

I grew up in Fabius-Pompey (worked at Tog in the winter and lifeguarded at The Pompey Club, Jamesville Beach, and Green Lakes in the summer) and my boyfriend went to Caz High School... I love it out there. It's the only place that would make me move from the village of Manlius. I love the hills!

Old 12-11-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I grew up in Fabius-Pompey (worked at Tog in the winter and lifeguarded at The Pompey Club, Jamesville Beach, and Green Lakes in the summer) and my boyfriend went to Caz High School... I love it out there. It's the only place that would make me move from the village of Manlius. I love the hills!

what are the property taxes like in these towns? say 2600 sqft on two acres?

Old 12-11-2008, 09:09 PM

The county assesses at a rate of 3.5% of selling price. We are paying just shy of $10k on 3100 sq ft on 3 acres. On the plus side - services, schools and libraries are great. Just the taxes are heart stopping.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:57 AM

Quote:
LOL, Planner. I went on a walk with my three toddlers at 10am on a Thursday morning... everyone was in the middle of working. And I specifically chose that time because it's too late for the morning rush and too early for the lunch rush - it's the quietest, safest (in terms of if one of the kids darts away, it won't be into a driveway with someone hurrying to work) time to go out with them. You're right... Manlius is quite bustling normally.
what prices are thye getting for the intown houses? I see you have some really rich people in the burbs- wowee - 700k houses all over - what's that about?

I am looking for an older traditional colonial - the kind I grew up in in Buffalo.
Old trees, grandmas type house...all emotional but I have had the fishbowl experience of new money cookie cutter and was miserable. Best towns to concetrate in? Best folks I could talk to who like the old stuff?

Thanks! Love Manlius!! I hear wegmans is 4 miles away...

12buttons

Old 12-14-2008, 06:55 AM

Wegmans flagship store, as a matter of fact. As far as prices go, there are some nice modest houses available in the area, some for around $150,000.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:15 AM

We bought a large, homey colonial here in the village for $120K in the spring but it was a STEAL. LOL - I'd say most of them go for around $150-$175K, at the mid-higher end. There's also a section of smaller ranches down near Eureka Drive, in the same general neighborhood, that sell for $80-100K. All still safe, of course... there's no time I would feel unsafe ANYWHERE in Manlius.

I understand the fishbowl feel completely. That's why I posted these pictures... if all I saw of the eastern suburbs were pictures of developments and new construction, I would cross them off my list completely. I don't like the older developments of ranches and split levels, personally, but I dislike the newer developments even more... give me Grandma's house, with the worn brick fireplace and dented hardwood floors from a hundred years of several families' worth of liveliness and joy in that home, any day! The older homes have character that cannot be filled with enormous expanses of vaulted ceilings and oversized windows and wall to wall tile and/or carpeting.

Yes, I feel strongly about these new developments... can you tell? While *some* of them are beautiful - the one on Henneberry Road, just off of Seneca Turnpike and the winding roads of Pompey Pines, for example - the admiration steeply wanes away after seeing several hundred clumped here and there. I think if the windows weren't so freakishly oversized, perhaps they wouldn't look so generic to me. *And again, to all- this is my personal preference, not a judgement on anyone else's taste. * There IS a neighborhood of newer homes that I LOVE to drive through, behind FM high school... probably because most of them are either classic colonials or have completely different architecture... for example, one home is a saltbox with weathered, bluegray-stained wood siding that you might see in Maine, with 10 cords of wood neatly stacked in the driveway, for their woodstove... and a few houses down is a house that looks half made of glass, with an easily visible conservatory, gardens, and walkways all 'round the side and back. It's DIFFERENT. I'll try to take pics of that tomorrow, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area