Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 10:36 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,812,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
Wingfoot, I have a question for you, not an attack but a legit question. If you dislike CNY/Syracuse so much, which is quite apparent from your posts, I have to ask why do you post here? Why not post where ever you live or where you would like to live?

I love Syracuse, I was born and raised there in the 50's when SYR was a major american city.

My entire point is that the confiscatory nature of property taxes is a major factor in its decline.And perhaps the only one capable of change by a concerted effort/fight by the people.
I post here in the apparently vain hope that silly people might rethink their silly assumptions and find just a little courage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I disagree, although I believe taxes of a different sort are causing our city to decline. I believe corp and small business taxes are, IMO, causing the decline. These taxes make doing business here very cost prohibitive. Another cause of decline is our city/county leaders lack of vision and foresight. They would rather waste all of this money by backing this monstrosity called Destiny USA than using it as a tax break/incentive for businesses to relocate here. Our city is ideally placed to be sales hub, I have mentioned this vision of mine before in other threads, but think about our location--we are situated within 6 driving hours of several major east coast US and Canadian cities-NYC, Boston,Philly, DC, Toronto, etc. We should invite companies to setup regional sales offices here. We have everything a company would need--airport, excellent roads, office space, etc. But the only thing we dont have is a reason for them to relocate here. If out leadership would pull their heads out of you know where and realize the mall is ndont buy ot going to produce the kind of jobs that would truly benefit our economy--retail workers can't afford to buy houses, new cars, eat at restaurants, etc.

Of course all you say is true but I refered only to prop taxes.
"Leaders" have no concern for place or people though.
I live in a small city in central WI(35K) where few folks either move to or out of.According to US Census bureau the most stable pop. in USA
I personally know 3 working families that moved here from Upstate because they could budget 200 a month for prop. tax but couldn't swing $ 500.

How many people like that must there be nationwide?
You do need troops to fight a war.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:30 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,777,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
I personally know 3 working families that moved here from Upstate because they could budget 200 a month for prop. tax but couldn't swing $ 500.
Then they weren't looking very carefully... they won't find it in the CITY of Syracuse unless they live in the 'hood but there are definitely homes with taxes around $200/month (or LESS) in the area. And they're within an easily commutable distance too.

I'd also like to give people more credit than moving across the country for the reason of lower property taxes... people, in general, are smarter than that. They didn't move all the way to Wisconsin to save $300/month when a 20 minute commute, if that, would have done the same.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Then they weren't looking very carefully... they won't find it in the CITY of Syracuse unless they live in the 'hood but there are definitely homes with taxes around $200/month (or LESS) in the area. And they're within an easily commutable distance too.

I'd also like to give people more credit than moving across the country for the reason of lower property taxes... people, in general, are smarter than that. They didn't move all the way to Wisconsin to save $300/month when a 20 minute commute, if that, would have done the same.

These folks are skilled machinists types, solid homeowners who moved here because this is the heart of the american paper industry , about the last big industry that hasnn't been send to China(no trees?) . And paper machinery is hand built on site as a rule.
The one I know best sold his house in Marcellus for 200 K and bought a similar one here for about 175 K and his prop. taxes are about 40% as much.That could not be duplicated in NY.Wisconsin ain't that far by the way.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:35 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,777,608 times
They moved because their industry is no longer located here. *Their* industry. There are other, more profitable industries here, hiring in plenty... with even higher salaries and more job openings.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:57 AM

70 posts, read 179,366 times
Everything about Syracuse. Syracuse is the best city. I've been all over the world, places such as....Spain, France, Italy, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, in every state on the east coast except for Vermont and Maine, I've been to California, Nevada and Arizona. I've stayed in the biggest cities Philadelphia, NYC, Boston, Atlanta, Charlotte, Orlando, Jacksonville and Miami and to me there is no city like Syracuse. It is by far the best place to grow up. It is safe. You can actually go out and drive from place to place with out worrying that you will get stuck in traffic. When I stayed in Atlanta I couldn't do anything, one everything is so far away, it takes an hour to get from the suburbs to Atlanta and not only that you will get stuck in traffic for several hours, so it makes it boring and horrible to live in a place like that. The property taxes are nothing compared to the taxes you have to pay on cars in the south. I know in Georgia and South Carolina you have to pay close to 4,000 dollars in taxes per car each year. That right there is worse then paying high property taxes. Another reason is it is a college town. A lot of partying, bars, clubs and SU football and Basketball games are the best. As for the economy it is bouncing back for sure such as Syracuse center of excellence, CNY biotechnology research center, Multi-office tenant building, Liberty Resources' Brownell Center for Behavorial Health, Obrien & Gere, Destiny USA, WCNY is moving downtown, Chase bank will open a new cyber programing sector, and a new children's hospital will be opening up. Also, the old GM plant was bought out and soon will be making air conditioning parts and plans on future expansion to the building.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:05 AM

94,393 posts, read 125,347,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
These folks are skilled machinists types, solid homeowners who moved here because this is the heart of the american paper industry , about the last big industry that hasnn't been send to China(no trees?) . And paper machinery is hand built on site as a rule.
The one I know best sold his house in Marcellus for 200 K and bought a similar one here for about 175 K and his prop. taxes are about 40% as much.That could not be duplicated in NY.Wisconsin ain't that far by the way.
Like another poster mentioned, what about taxes on other things like vehicles, possessions and so on?

Old 09-13-2009, 11:26 AM

61 posts, read 212,856 times
I like that we have an academic medical center 1 of only ~125 in the nation with a brand new state of the art children's hospital.

SUNY Upstate Medical University

Old 09-13-2009, 12:01 PM

623 posts, read 1,822,217 times
Lets do a little comparison of my expenses last year (in Vegas ) vs this year (in Syracuse)

For food, I only chose milk, eggs, bread, and large pack of hamburg--I know not nutritional sound but easier to estimate, it was one of those items per week

Vegas
Food: 1823.00
Prop Tax 2275.00
Utils (gas, elec, water) 4800.00
Vehicle registration: $370.00 (thats yearly not every 4)
Vehicle Insurance: $2100/00

Grand Total 11368.00

Syracuse
Food: 1150.00
Prop Tax 4800.00
Utils (gas, elec, water) 3300.00
Vehicle registration: $25 (divided what it cost by 4 years)
Vehicle Insurance: $1025.00

Grand Total 10300.00

Annual savings of living in CNY $1068

Now this is a basic list and doesnt take into account other expenses that we have that are unique to my family, like parochial school (which is cheaper here). But proves that prop/school taxes are just a little part of a larger expenses equation

Old 09-13-2009, 12:15 PM

94,393 posts, read 125,347,375 times
Quote:
Lets do a little comparison of my expenses last year (in Vegas ) vs this year (in Syracuse)

For food, I only chose milk, eggs, bread, and large pack of hamburg--I know not nutritional sound but easier to estimate, it was one of those items per week

Vegas
Food: 1823.00
Prop Tax 2275.00
Utils (gas, elec, water) 4800.00
Vehicle registration: $370.00 (thats yearly not every 4)
Vehicle Insurance: $2100/00

Grand Total 11368.00

Syracuse
Food: 1150.00
Prop Tax 4800.00
Utils (gas, elec, water) 3300.00
Vehicle registration: $25 (divided what it cost by 4 years)
Vehicle Insurance: $1025.00

Grand Total 10300.00

Annual savings of living in CNY $1068

Now this is a basic list and doesnt take into account other expenses that we have that are unique to my family, like parochial school (which is cheaper here). But proves that prop/school taxes are just a little part of a larger expenses equation
Thank you for doing this, as people get so hung up on the property taxes without realizing that there are other expenses in other states that are more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area