Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2007, 11:25 PM

25 posts, read 100,004 times

Advertisements

This seems like an obscure thread, I know. I have been contemplating on where to live for the past couple of months. I have been giving serious thought to Portland, ME. The only thing that would stop me from moving there would be its distance from my family in Niagara Falls, and its small size of 64,000. I did not even consider moving to any of the New York "Rush Belt" cities until recently when starting to contemplate Syracuse. I never liked the industrialization of these cites or the fact that they are urban islands with only small, rural towns between them. If I lived in Portland, I would be near Boston, Manchester, NYC, Hartford ect.--New England is great like that. I have been doing research about Syracuse, and keep hearing about how it is a good Jazz city. This sparked my interest since I am heavily into jazz, both as a fan, student, and player. I keep reading about things in Syracuse like the "Society for New Music", "Syracuse Friends of Chamber Music" , "Frank Malfitano's Syracuse Jazz Festival", and "CNY Jazz Arts Foundation's Jazz In The Square Festival". New England, especially Portland, always seemed much more comsmopolitan than Upstate NY--maybe syracuse is the exception.

Can anyone shine some light on these topics. Also, as with all medium sized cities like these, crime is a hazy subject. I noticed that alot of people on this site love there perspective medium sized cites, but thats seems to be because they conveniently live in sheltered areas on the outskirts of them. How REALLY is the "criminal vibe" in the city. Can you hang out in the heart of it late at night. For instance, I live real close to Buffalo and I know alot of people that love this city. But these same people would **** a brick if they had to walk, or even drive in certain areas of it ; I don't think anyone would argue that there is some serious **** going on in the areas around Buff State and U.B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 01:29 PM

6 posts, read 8,784 times
It all depends on what you're looking for. I would guess Portland is better for access to Boston and New England is just a naturally beautiful place. Syracuse is a bit more of an island, so it's more parochial. However the people are nice and it's a pretty good party/music town, and it is quite beautiful south of the city and around the Finger Lakes. There is obviously the great influence of SU both culturally and for sporting events, and thanks to the University we get lots of expat New Yorkers which lends to a pretty good restaurant scene for a city it's size. I personally left Syracuse years ago, but miss it and would move back if I had a job there.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:43 PM

93,946 posts, read 124,723,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by excusan View Post
It all depends on what you're looking for. I would guess Portland is better for access to Boston and New England is just a naturally beautiful place. Syracuse is a bit more of an island, so it's more parochial. However the people are nice and it's a pretty good party/music town, and it is quite beautiful south of the city and around the Finger Lakes. There is obviously the great influence of SU both culturally and for sporting events, and thanks to the University we get lots of expat New Yorkers which lends to a pretty good restaurant scene for a city it's size. I personally left Syracuse years ago, but miss it and would move back if I had a job there.
With Syracuse, there are other cities close by, but they aren't of the status of a Boston. I think that there may be more outdoors based options within and hour or so of Syracuse with the Adirondacks, the 1000 Islands, Lake Ontario and a bunch of ski areas, among other things.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:24 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,621,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think that there may be more outdoors based options within and hour or so of Syracuse with the Adirondacks, the 1000 Islands, Lake Ontario and a bunch of ski areas, among other things.
Lake Ontario is a puddle compared to the water surrounding Portland. I am sure the White Mountain National Forest could probably scratch the itch if you don't want to make the drive to the Adirondacks.

As for the crime. Don't do drugs and don't participate in gang activity and you should be just fine. We have very few innocent victims. There are a handful, but most of the time, it is people doing things they shouldn't be doing anyways in places they shouldn't be.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Lake Ontario is a puddle compared to the water surrounding Portland. I am sure the White Mountain National Forest could probably scratch the itch if you don't want to make the drive to the Adirondacks.

As for the crime. Don't do drugs and don't participate in gang activity and you should be just fine. We have very few innocent victims. There are a handful, but most of the time, it is people doing things they shouldn't be doing anyways in places they shouldn't be.
Yes, I wouldn't compare a lake to an ocean, but there are plenty of water based options in close proximity, if people are into that type of thing.

Syracuse has the sporting event advantage, in terms of the immediate area, but again it will depend on if the OP was into sports.

I guess the option to go to major metros in the Northeast and Canada is another thing that works in Syracuse's favor. Outside of Boston, I can't think of a similar area within a reasonable drive for day trips. Maybe Montreal, I'm guessing.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:12 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,621,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Syracuse has the sporting event advantage, in terms of the immediate area, but again it will depend on if the OP was into sports.

I guess the option to go to major metros in the Northeast and Canada is another thing that works in Syracuse's favor. Outside of Boston, I can't think of a similar area within a reasonable drive for day trips. Maybe Montreal, I'm guessing.
Portland is closer to real sports teams. Syracuse is closer to college basketball. They both have farm teams in hockey and baseball.

Portland is only an hour farther from Montreal than Syracuse and possibly an hour farther from NYC.

If you throw in the freshest seafood you can get your hands on, I would say Portland tips the scale.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:38 PM

107 posts, read 219,750 times
the original post is over 4 years old...fyi

Old 10-15-2012, 04:39 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,280,539 times
I wonder if he/she/they have made a decision yet??

Old 10-15-2012, 05:00 PM

Yeah, I think he has made a decision already, but I wonder what it was?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area