Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:09 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,285 times

Advertisements

Despite the deep recession and credit crisis that has adversely impacted the finance sector, industry titan JP Morgan Chase appears to be following through with its plans to open a Syracuse Technology Center on the campus of SU. When announced in 2007, the initiative was billed as a 10 year, $30 million partnership between business and academia that would involve the creation of several hundred jobs and provide a specialized curriculum to prepare students for careers in the finance and IT sectors with a specific focus on cyber security.

Based on the media coverage of the announcement, Nancy Cantor was largely responsible for securing this deal, not the inept local/state/fed economic development and political leadership. I'm sure if the MDA, Chamber of Commerce, Chuckie, DeFrancisco, Magnarelli, Patterson, Mahoney, or the bartender mayor were involved the project would have never materialized.

According to Monster.com and the JP Morgan Chase website, the company is seeking to fill the following positions:

Global Security Operations Logistics Manager
Information Security / Vulnerability Analyst
Threat and Vulnerability Management Process Lead
Cyber Investigations and Forensics Manager

The specialized nature of these jobs is an added benefit to Syracuse because they are of a much higher caliber than many of the area's back office financial jobs. Although four jobs is not going to change the area's economy, the fact that one of the world's leading financial services firms selected Syracuse to house an operation of this significance cannot be understated. Typically these data center jobs are located in low cost and significantly more populated metropolitan areas like Austin, Dallas, Houston, Tampa, Columbus, and Charlotte. These cities are all growing and have a large pool of young, upwardly mobile tech workers. With the presence of JP Morgan Chase and SU, hopefully Central New York can develop a niche in the burgeoning field of cyber security. As the world gets more technologically advanced the demand for these services will only grow.

Syracuse leadership should try to grow this sector along with the more established indoor air quality/environment systems field which already has an impressive cluster in the metro area. The presence of the CNY Biotech Center, Center of Excellence, Institute of Human Performance, and JP Morgan Tech Center within blocks of each other on University Hill and Near East Side of downtown would go a long way in rebranding Syracuse has a hotbed of innovation and tech transfer. Finding the leadership with brains, guts, and ability to accomplish this will be difficult as always.

Here are some links:
J P Morgan Career Page
http://www.syracusecentral.com/news_events/press_releases/SyracuseUpressJPMorgan.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 02:39 PM

93,299 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Despite the deep recession and credit crisis that has adversely impacted the finance sector, industry titan JP Morgan Chase appears to be following through with its plans to open a Syracuse Technology Center on the campus of SU. When announced in 2007, the initiative was billed as a 10 year, $30 million partnership between business and academia that would involve the creation of several hundred jobs and provide a specialized curriculum to prepare students for careers in the finance and IT sectors with a specific focus on cyber security.

Based on the media coverage of the announcement, Nancy Cantor was largely responsible for securing this deal, not the inept local/state/fed economic development and political leadership. I'm sure if the MDA, Chamber of Commerce, Chuckie, DeFrancisco, Magnarelli, Patterson, Mahoney, or the bartender mayor were involved the project would have never materialized.

According to Monster.com and the JP Morgan Chase website, the company is seeking to fill the following positions:

Global Security Operations Logistics Manager
Information Security / Vulnerability Analyst
Threat and Vulnerability Management Process Lead
Cyber Investigations and Forensics Manager

The specialized nature of these jobs is an added benefit to Syracuse because they are of a much higher caliber than many of the area's back office financial jobs. Although four jobs is not going to change the area's economy, the fact that one of the world's leading financial services firms selected Syracuse to house an operation of this significance cannot be understated. Typically these data center jobs are located in low cost and significantly more populated metropolitan areas like Austin, Dallas, Houston, Tampa, Columbus, and Charlotte. These cities are all growing and have a large pool of young, upwardly mobile tech workers. With the presence of JP Morgan Chase and SU, hopefully Central New York can develop a niche in the burgeoning field of cyber security. As the world gets more technologically advanced the demand for these services will only grow.

Syracuse leadership should try to grow this sector along with the more established indoor air quality/environment systems field which already has an impressive cluster in the metro area. The presence of the CNY Biotech Center, Center of Excellence, Institute of Human Performance, and JP Morgan Tech Center within blocks of each other on University Hill and Near East Side of downtown would go a long way in rebranding Syracuse has a hotbed of innovation and tech transfer. Finding the leadership with brains, guts, and ability to accomplish this will be difficult as always.

Here are some links:
J P Morgan Career Page
http://www.syracusecentral.com/news_events/press_releases/SyracuseUpressJPMorgan.pdf (broken link)
I forgot about this project. It is going to be located in one of the parking lots that is a part of the Syracuse University West Lots.

I agree that it will be tough finding the right leadership for this, but I think it might be time to look outside of the area for that, unless someone just pops up out of nowhere. What about tapping into other tech rich areas for the appropriate leadership? That might be the way to go.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:17 PM

845 posts, read 1,687,962 times
My dad, who spent many years as a guidance counselor in the city schools - specializing in college admissions at Nottingham back when 90% of its graduates went on to college, has always been critical of the location chosen for OCC. His contention is that it was placed on Onondaga Hill because there was a sweetheart deal on land there that enriched the right people. Then County Executive John Mulroy was from Marcellus and it wouldn't shock me if it was true.

Until the current OCC campus was built (I am going somewhere with this) the college was located in the old Smith-Corona typewriter factory - by then known as Midtown Plaza. It sat on the exact spot where the new center of Excellence is being built!

My dad's point was twofold:

1) Population growth patterns in the county, the move out towards the suburbs and demographic projection all made it clear that if the location were to be outside the city it should have been placed to the north where the majority of the prospective students would be.

2) Kennedy Square was not yet constructed and the entire stretch of land that currently includes Kennedy Square all the way up to South Beech where the old DPW garage was located - was all available for development.

Wouldn't it have made an incredible amount of sense to locate OCC there? Back when he was talking about it the obvious partnership would have been between SU and OCC but these more recent developments would have a multiplier effect.

My point, I suppose, other than reminiscing about what could have been... is that "public" development in this area has had some fundamental flaws for generations in terms of how it's implemented. I'm really hoping the muck gets raked up and stirred heavily in the upcoming mayoral race and that we get more transparency when all is said and done.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:41 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,285 times
The main obstacle in my mind aside from an incompetent mayor (and another one soon to be elected, based on the slate of candidates available sans Steve Kimatian) is the MDA-controlled University Hill Development organization. Their website has been dormant for years and their board of directors reads like a who's who of political hacks and the same tired leadership from the MDA. Approximately a year or so ago, the MDA and several major employers on the Hill commissioned a study on traffic patterns and ways to guide future development. More than a year later, none of the recommendations proposed have been implemented or given any consideration at least per newspaper accounts. True to form, local leadership loves to engage a whole litany of consultants and noted experts (ie. Richard Florida and Andres Duany) to give the appearance to who they perceive as the "stupid yokals" that they are "doing something" to address major problems like the economy and the brain drain. Yet after each of these studies has been completed and the press releases and photo ops have been done, all of the findings wind up on a shelf with hundreds (or perhaps thousands) of previous studies.

Since many of the best and brighest with political aspirations move away, the local leadership consists of mostly simpleton hacks (many of the blue collar variety) that have low standards (ie. Nick Pirro, Matt Driscoll, Joanne Mahoney, 95% of the Common Council and county legislature). Until non native Central New Yorkers and those originally from Syracuse that returned from more prosperous areas run for office, I don't see any immediate change. I love the area and miss it greatly. Syracuse and Central New York have great potential and nothing would make me happier than to see the region prosper. The biggest inhibitor to growth locally aside from the state's anti-business mindset is the poor quality of local elected officials and economic development organizations.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 06-18-2009 at 04:07 PM..

Old 06-18-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
My dad, who spent many years as a guidance counselor in the city schools - specializing in college admissions at Nottingham back when 90% of its graduates went on to college, has always been critical of the location chosen for OCC. His contention is that it was placed on Onondaga Hill because there was a sweetheart deal on land there that enriched the right people. Then County Executive John Mulroy was from Marcellus and it wouldn't shock me if it was true.

Until the current OCC campus was built (I am going somewhere with this) the college was located in the old Smith-Corona typewriter factory - by then known as Midtown Plaza. It sat on the exact spot where the new center of Excellence is being built!

My dad's point was twofold:

1) Population growth patterns in the county, the move out towards the suburbs and demographic projection all made it clear that if the location were to be outside the city it should have been placed to the north where the majority of the prospective students would be.

2) Kennedy Square was not yet constructed and the entire stretch of land that currently includes Kennedy Square all the way up to South Beech where the old DPW garage was located - was all available for development.

Wouldn't it have made an incredible amount of sense to locate OCC there? Back when he was talking about it the obvious partnership would have been between SU and OCC but these more recent developments would have a multiplier effect.

My point, I suppose, other than reminiscing about what could have been... is that "public" development in this area has had some fundamental flaws for generations in terms of how it's implemented. I'm really hoping the muck gets raked up and stirred heavily in the upcoming mayoral race and that we get more transparency when all is said and done.
I can totally see what you are talking about with OCC and the location. There is or was a OCC North location on Route 57 in the Liverpool area too.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if OCC becomes Onondaga State the way it is being built up. They have dorms now, they built a stadium on campus, if I'm not mistaken and remember that Morrisville State is now a school that offers 2 and 4 year degrees now. So, maybe there is a possibility of OCC being something bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
The main obstacle in my mind aside from an incompetent mayor (and another one soon to be elected, based on the slate of candidates available sans Steve Kimatian) is the MDA-controlled University Hill Development organization. Their website has been dormant for years and their board of directors reads like a who's who of political hacks and the same tired leadership from the MDA. Approximately a year or so ago, the MDA and several major employers on the Hill commissioned a study on traffic patterns and ways to guide future development. More than a year later, none of the recommendations proposed have been implemented or given any consideration at least per newspaper accounts. True to form, local leadership loves to engage a whole litany of consultants and noted experts (ie. Richard Florida and Andres Duany) to give the appearance to who they perceive as the "stupid yokals" that they are "doing something" to address major problems like the economy and the brain drain. Yet after each of these studies has been completed and the press releases and photo ops have been done, all of the findings wind up on a shelf with hundreds (or perhaps thousands) of previous studies.

Since many of the best and brighest with political aspirations move away, the local leadership consists of mostly simpleton hacks (many of the blue collar variety) that have low standards (ie. Nick Pirro, Matt Driscoll, Joanne Mahoney, 95% of the Common Council and county legislature). Until non native Central New Yorkers and those originally from Syracuse that returned from more prosperous areas run for office, I don't see any immediate change. I love the area and miss it greatly. Syracuse and Central New York have great potential and nothing would make me happier than to see the region prosper. The biggest inhibitor to growth locally aside from the state's anti-business mindset is the poor quality of local elected officials and economic development organizations.
Sad, but unfortunately true. That's part of the reason why I said that some of these projects need some legit outside people that can lead.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 08-07-2009 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: quotes

Old 06-18-2009, 06:26 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,268,313 times
I don't agree at all that things can't get done. I've had a great deal of success feeding ideas to the MDA under Irwin Davis (including this one), Nancy Cantor, the Environmental College, and a couple of other entities.

All it takes is a vision, some innovative thinking, and the guts to contact and push people. It also helps if you can present them in a compelling way to make things look advantageous to them. If you can find the right people who will listen and have the ability to carry things forward you're all set. I've been busy with other things this past year so nothing new up my sleeves for Syracuse anyway. Don't know the new guy at the MDA but there's momentum in Syracuse.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I don't agree at all that things can't get done. I've had a great deal of success feeding ideas to the MDA under Irwin Davis (including this one), Nancy Cantor, the Environmental College, and a couple of other entities.

All it takes is a vision, some innovative thinking, and the guts to contact and push people. It also helps if you can present them in a compelling way to make things look advantageous to them. If you can find the right people who will listen and have the ability to carry things forward you're all set. I've been busy with other things this past year so nothing new up my sleeves for Syracuse anyway. Don't know the new guy at the MDA. There's momentum in Syracuse.
So, is it better to go the private sector route in order to get things done in the area? Considering what has been going on, that might be the way to go.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:45 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,268,313 times
It's better to go any route that gets results. Personally I have no trouble phoning up, emailing, or handwriting a letter to anyone. Best if you approach the top.

There are two secrets - You have to sound intelligent and give a proposal that makes good sense just as if you're going to the bank to start a business. Then you have to identify those who are willing to listen to you and who can in fact can make things happen.

I don't spell out all the specific details only a general outline with things I don't want overlooked. People like it better if they can add their bits to it and Syracuse has a good group going right now between the colleges and others who help and want to own the original idea and get it done. It's a form of management philosophy. There are one or two who I haven't been able to work (the mayor and chief of police specifically) with but many more who I have. I'm a no BS person who approaches them out of the blue for no other reason than the improvement of things. I don't whine, I don't demand, I just give a specific and positive direction which seems to work, and I always stay under the radar so they can get the credit. PM me if you want more.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
It's better to go any route that gets results. Personally I have no trouble phoning up, emailing, or handwriting a letter to anyone. Best if you approach the top.

There are two secrets - You have to sound intelligent and give a proposal that makes good sense just as if you're going to the bank to start a business. Then you have to identify those who are willing to listen to you and who can in fact can make things happen.

I don't spell out all the specific details only a general outline with things I don't want overlooked. People like it better if they can add their bits to it and Syracuse has a good group going right now between the colleges and others who help and want to own the original idea and get it done. It's a form of management philosophy. There are one or two who I haven't been able to work (the mayor and chief of police specifically) with but many more who I have. I'm a no BS person who approaches them out of the blue for no other reason than the improvement of things. I don't whine, I don't demand, I just give a specific and positive direction which seems to work, and I always stay under the radar so they can get the credit. PM me if you want more.
Interesting.....I might have to take you up on your offer.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:43 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,426,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Sad, but unfortunately true. That's part of the reason why I said that some of these projects need some legit outside people that can lead.
The problem is Syracuse civic leaders will end up tapping on the shoulders of the wrong people.

Instead of searching out people who are pro-growth, pro-beautification, and desire the Syracuse area to be the next Austin, TX. You'll end up with folks who focus on stopping sprawl, building green over building beautiful (I support green as long as it doesn't hurt the local economy and is ascetically attractive) and people with agendas that have nothing to do with growing the Syracuse area.

I've noticed that most good ideas proposed in Syracuse are tainted by people who have agendas and do not have the good of Syracuse in mind. Rather these people are using Syracuse to achieve some goal. Even if an idea is pure at the conception, somewhere along the line other people get involved and corrupt it and distort it so you end up with a mediocre outcome.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 06-13-2010 at 06:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area