Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 06:00 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,559 times

Advertisements

For the past year or more we've been hearing a lot about Say Yes to Education, but I've never really been clear on where all the money is coming from that's supposed to send all these kids to college for free. Now we're hearing that a lot of the participating colleges are putting a cap on the amount of money that parents of kids in the program are allowed to earn per year - $75,000. So obviously the money spigot is not unlimited for this program. But this new stipulation seems like it defeats one of the main attractions of the program, which was to entice middle class families to stay in Syracuse school districts or even possibly move back to the city to take advantage of the educational opportunity.

Bait and switch? I mean, what really is the difference between this program and something like the Syracuse Challenge (which no longer exists, I believe)? Yes, both programs extend a helping hand to kids in the city school district who really need support and encouragement. However, what is going to keep these kids from high tailing it out of Syracuse once they get their locally gotten degrees? Say Yes was supposed to be the game changer, but essentially, nothing is changing in the game here. If middle class families (ie those making more than $75K) are not given an incentive to stay in the city school districts, it's basically business as usual.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 06:40 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,526 times
Given that a) there is still no cap for Syracuse University nor for SUNY and b) the median income in Syracuse is far below $75k, I don't think this poses all that great a risk. Say Yes isn't only supposed to attract middle class families back to the city - it's to increase the opportunities available to city school graduates.

Taken nationally, the middle fifth (or actual middle class) of the incomes in this country are in the 60-80k range, or thereabouts. Middle class doesn't start at $75k except in larger cities, usually.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:28 PM

162 posts, read 274,349 times
The idea of the program isnt to attract people to the city, its to create more opportunities for kids in the city schools and give even more of an incentive to perform and graduate from high school

Old 10-14-2009, 08:12 AM

93,246 posts, read 123,876,708 times
I agree with the last two posts. It's suppose to give a leg up for those that otherwise wouldn't be able to pay their way to college.

I believe the money comes from private investments, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, like ack stated, there are state schools(SUNY and CUNY) that don't have a cap. If anything, it might help the state schools and hopefully keep people here.

Those that are going to move will move anyway. So, regardless of the economic limit, those families are going to do what they want to do anyway.

Here's more on the program and history: Home - Say Yes
History of Say Yes - Say Yes (http://www.sayyessyracuse.org/AboutUs+HistoryofSayYes.tab.aspx - broken link)

Old 10-14-2009, 05:13 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,559 times
Still, nobody's enlightened me on the differences between this program and the Syracuse Challenge, which proposed to do much the same thing and now is no more (?)

Old 10-14-2009, 07:24 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Still, nobody's enlightened me on the differences between this program and the Syracuse Challenge, which proposed to do much the same thing and now is no more (?)
Aside from being valid at a heck of a lot more schools than Syracuse University, which is all the Syracuse Challenge was for (and the Syracuse Challenge was guaranteed admission to Arts & Sciences and guaranteed financial aid, not a free ride)?

Say Yes Colleges - Say Yes (http://www.sayyessyracuse.org/SayYesColleges.tab.aspx - broken link)

2 private schools and ALL SUNY/CUNY schools (that would be 66 schools with no income cap) and a bunch with the $75k income cap, including at least one Ivy League school (UPenn).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area