Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:34 PM

70 posts, read 179,016 times

Advertisements

I was reading on the Buffalo website about the new Indian electric car company coming to Syracuse. I saw the comments that were left under the article and people from Buffalo are very upset. They feel like Buffalo is a better place for the car company. I just want people to know that in fact Syracuse is the best place for the Indian car company. Syracuse has or will have National Grid, Syracuse Center of Excellence (designs green products), CNY Biotechnology center, SUNY Environmental Science & Forestry, O'Brien & Gere. A lot better workforce and educational system for the company to be successful. Not to mention that Syracuse is the Green Capitol of the northeast. I wish it came to Buffalo, but in all reality, there is a reason for why they chose Syracuse and not Buffalo, and a very good reason.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:16 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,888 times
I disagree with the reasoning. What does being "green" have to do with anything? This company cares about the bottom line, and a big issue is taxes and unionization. Assuming that this company decided it needed NY, and a big city. Keeping in mind that low taxes and lower unionization are important, the only cities left are Binghampton and Syracuse. Syracuse is more suited to heavy manufacturing than Binghampton.

I also disagree about an educated workforce. We have SUNY Buffalo, which is by far the largest college in the northeast in terms of graduates and undergraduates. Buffalo has few jobs to offer, therefore you can't possibly say that Syracuse can offer more than Buffalo there.

As for this "green" nonsense (I'm saying that the industry is nonsense, not you), what the company is focussing on in terms of energy efficiency is their cars and their manufacturing. You think that they honestly care that Syracuse has these "green" firms? Not at all, they know well that if they pay that any one of these businesses will send representative up to Buffalo for consulting. It has absolutely zero to do with where the power comes from either, we use hydro-electic. How much lower emission could you want?

It's taxes and unions, that's all.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:30 AM

70 posts, read 179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
I disagree with the reasoning. What does being "green" have to do with anything? This company cares about the bottom line, and a big issue is taxes and unionization. Assuming that this company decided it needed NY, and a big city. Keeping in mind that low taxes and lower unionization are important, the only cities left are Binghampton and Syracuse. Syracuse is more suited to heavy manufacturing than Binghampton.

I also disagree about an educated workforce. We have SUNY Buffalo, which is by far the largest college in the northeast in terms of graduates and undergraduates. Buffalo has few jobs to offer, therefore you can't possibly say that Syracuse can offer more than Buffalo there.

As for this "green" nonsense (I'm saying that the industry is nonsense, not you), what the company is focussing on in terms of energy efficiency is their cars and their manufacturing. You think that they honestly care that Syracuse has these "green" firms? Not at all, they know well that if they pay that any one of these businesses will send representative up to Buffalo for consulting. It has absolutely zero to do with where the power comes from either, we use hydro-electic. How much lower emission could you want?

It's taxes and unions, that's all.
I agree with the taxes only if you are talking about setting a company up in NY, but I don't agree with the rest. If they wanted lower taxes and no unions, they could have settled in Alabama or a state like that. They would rather build a their company around green companies to improve their plant and how they build their cars. If they can make "greener" cars and spend less, then they can double their profits. They aren't going to set up their company in Buffalo, when Buffalo lacks green jobs compared to Syracuse. Finally, University at Buffalo is not the biggest college in the north east. CUNY has 400 something thousand people in New York city. I agree it is very large compared to other schools but Syracuse University has 20,000 people. Also, the size of the school has little to do with it, no matter what, Syracuse University is a harder school than UB. Also produces a lot more successful/ famous people, and Buffalo does not have SUNY environmental science and forestry. Now they can work with local Universities and businesses to be more profitable. Oh yeah, why is Syracuse more suited for manufacturing than Binghampton? Because I thought you said Universities and local businesses have nothing to do with it. If that was the case, why wouldn't they just set up a plant in Jamestown? I'm willing to bet that Jamestown would be a lot cheaper in taxes and unions than Syracuse.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:38 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,870,308 times
Just be happy that the company decided to locate in upstate New York period. That indirectly will make people in business pay attention to the entire upstate region including Buffalo for future expansions.

Buffalo will get its turn next time around.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
If they can make "greener" cars and spend less, then they can double their profits.
I strongly doubt this. Could you provide some supporting evidence?

Quote:
If they wanted lower taxes and no unions, they could have settled in Alabama or a state like that.
I know you mentioned this, but I am guessing that they are getting a subsidy.

Quote:
They would rather build a their company around green companies to improve their plant and how they build their cars.
Like I said, with cell phones, fax, video conferencing, and an interstate system, the distance from IP really isn't that important. These green companies located in Syracuse would certainly be more than willing to send some folks to Buffalo for business. It can't possibly be that, as green consulting is far from capital intensive.

Quote:
CUNY has 400 something thousand people in New York city.
I hate to burst your bubble, but CUNY is 263,000 undergrads, and on 34 campuses. None are bigger than UB.

Quote:
I agree it is very large compared to other schools but Syracuse University has 20,000 people.
You are counting undergrads and grads. By that metric UB has 27,000.

Quote:
Syracuse University is a harder school than UB
Again, feel free to back up your claim...

=====

The end result is that this company may have said that they wanted to be close to green tech (I never read a press release), but that's just posturing. They care about the bottom line, two easiest ways to help with that right away? Move to Syracuse over any other large city in NY. Low taxes, low unionization, and a well educated work force. What else do they want?

Old 10-26-2009, 05:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Default There is nothing to be jealous about ...

... didn't you guys learn anything when TATA Consulting got access to the supercomputer at SUNY under the guise of "creating jobs in Buffalo" courtesy of Hillary Clinton?

Reva will do what all Indian companies do in the USA, which is hire as little Americans as possible, IMPORT as many Indians as possible on the UNLIMITED L VISAS and whatever can be sent to be done in India, send it offshore.

Here is their usual tactics when doing business in the USA:

1. minimal jobs for Americans (except maybe salespersons to sell offshore outsourcing, so for every 1 "American" job they create in sales, they send thousands of other Americans' jobs offshore).

2. Bring in as much L visa workers from India as possible (and there is no limit on L visas, unlike H1B's).

3. Ship as much work off to India to be done there as possible.

If it were an American company, this would be good news for job seekers, but since it is not, don't even be bothered by it.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Vex

125 posts, read 258,219 times
Wow REVA is coming to upstate NY? The company responsible for this
YouTube - Jeremy tests the electric car.

Wow, what great news! NY's fortunes have changed! Rejoice!

P.S. Companies only care about 'going green' to the extent that it instills a favorable perception of that company into the mind of the target market and thus, improves profits.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:19 PM

466 posts, read 982,661 times
Why even argue about SU and UB. The U of R and RIT are the top schools out the three cities

Old 10-26-2009, 07:40 PM

I actually almost went to RIT. It's a fine school, but I'll take UB any day. UB may not be good D1, but where are Rochester schools??

Quote:
P.S. Companies only care about 'going green' to the extent that it instills a favorable perception of that company into the mind of the target market and thus, improves profits.
That's what I was getting at. I'm sure that there are companies that are more about going green than profits, but there's a reason why their evil emissions spewing cousins are generally far better performing... Because this green fad is nothing but that, a fad that will fade, and a bunch of companies that spent millions will see that money wilt away.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:32 PM

466 posts, read 982,661 times
Are you talking D1 sports? RIT has D1 hockey, and I much prefer that over UB football.

As for academics, only Cornell tops U of R in upstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area