Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:24 PM

93,704 posts, read 124,432,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justflow1983 View Post
That's a ridiculously broad statement. It's totally up to the individual and what they expect from the city or suburb, their lifestyle, and their point in life.

I know many people who love living in Eastwood, and many who prefer the suburbs. I'd not make any rash decisions, and find somewhere short term until you can decide for yourself. At the very least, Eastwood isn't dangerous or rough.
I agree......How can someone say that the people that live in the city hate the area, especially when they have a bias against the city of Syracuse themselves? There are plenty of liveable neighborhoods within the city of Syracuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 08:20 PM

357 posts, read 969,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I agree......How can someone say that the people that live in the city hate the area, especially when they have a bias against the city of Syracuse themselves? There are plenty of liveable neighborhoods within the city of Syracuse.
I'm also in agreement. I find that some people on this site really like to stereotype city dwellers. It's too bad because the city has some really great residents who do take pride in where they live. Actually I grew up in the city of Syracuse and as of right now, none of the people I know who are living in the city wish that they lived in the suburbs and they don't hate where they live.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:22 PM

1,002 posts, read 2,000,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
I'm also in agreement. I find that some people on this site really like to stereotype city dwellers. It's too bad because the city has some really great residents who do take pride in where they live. Actually I grew up in the city of Syracuse and as of right now, none of the people I know who are living in the city wish that they lived in the suburbs and they don't hate where they live.
Indeed. I love living here, and my ridiculously short commute (it hits 15 minutes only if I catch every red light and get stuck behind a CENTRO bus...). Enough so to be in the process of buying a house here, within the city limits (which will shorten the commute even more )

Old 03-16-2009, 08:25 PM

3,526 posts, read 9,441,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
Actually I grew up in the city of Syracuse and as of right now, none of the people I know who are living in the city wish that they lived in the suburbs and they don't hate where they live.
I did not say city dwellers wished they lived in the suburbs. I said most city dwellers aren't very proud of the Syracuse area. Many seem to complain and bash the Syracuse area.

The suburban dwellers I know like living in the Syracuse area and aren't as negative as the city dwellers.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:49 PM

357 posts, read 969,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
I did not say city dwellers wished they lived in the suburbs. I said most city dwellers aren't very proud of the Syracuse area. Many seem to complain and bash the Syracuse area.

The suburban dwellers I know like living in the Syracuse area and aren't as negative as the city dwellers.
I don't recall saying that you said that....

Being that you live in the suburbs I find it interesting that you seem to know so much about what city dwellers like and don't like about living in the city.

I'm not saying that negative comments never occur but I find that a lot of times they occur from people who are very unhappy with life in general and typically they are people that have issues far beyond just where they live. For example, we can probably agree that most of the area's poor population live in the city or rural areas. Your probably going to find that the poor are more unhappy with their circumstances and more negative about their circumstances then lets say a middle class white family with 2.5 kids.

Happiness is not soley dependent on where you live (city, suburbs, or rural) but usually is dependent on many different circumstances.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:45 AM

161 posts, read 355,934 times
In response to the original poster's question... I'd look for an apartment in a house in a good neighborhood (older housing stock usually) than an apartment complex. Because of the terrible connections between a lot of the apartment developments and anywhere fun in the city, most of the people I know who live in one finds it boring and isolating. It depends on your age and sociability, but a younger single person would be much better off in Tipp Hill, Eastwood, Westcott, or downtown itself. Just more lively, and they all have restaurants and bars you can walk to.

The original housing type for renting in Syracuse were houses with an upstairs and a downstairs apt. These aren't conversions, many were built that way. They're old, but the ones in good condition and renovated are still pretty inexpensive and are generally extremely large and bright. Thats the standard housing type in the neighborhoods I mentioned.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:39 PM

97 posts, read 417,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflow1983 View Post
In response to the original poster's question... I'd look for an apartment in a house in a good neighborhood (older housing stock usually) than an apartment complex. Because of the terrible connections between a lot of the apartment developments and anywhere fun in the city, most of the people I know who live in one finds it boring and isolating. It depends on your age and sociability, but a younger single person would be much better off in Tipp Hill, Eastwood, Westcott, or downtown itself. Just more lively, and they all have restaurants and bars you can walk to.

The original housing type for renting in Syracuse were houses with an upstairs and a downstairs apt. These aren't conversions, many were built that way. They're old, but the ones in good condition and renovated are still pretty inexpensive and are generally extremely large and bright. Thats the standard housing type in the neighborhoods I mentioned.
I'd second that. The Westcott Neighborhood is mine, so I'm a bit biased, but I did return here after living in Philadelphia and elsewhere, so that tells you something.

Acknight, a friend of mine and also on this forum, has lived in Eastwood. He could fill you in on the details there.

Tipp Hill is very nice, plenty to do, a young vibe.

After reading everything on here and elsewhere about living Downtown, I'd love to give it a chance myself. Hannover Square is beautiful, Bellafinzi has a photo thread on here about it.

If you're looking to raise a family, I'd stay on the East Side, Westcott or in Dewitt, but as a young person search out some of the aforementioned neighborhoods, they're more lively without having to drive elsewhere for entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area