Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 09:29 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times

Advertisements

Non-forwardlooking people will fail to 'get' tablets just as for years there were editorials in newspapers calling the horseless carriage pointless and redundant.

Are they for everyone right now? Certainly not.
But there is much promise for simpler computing tools for a majority of tasks.

Tablets will also excel at complex tasks beyond what a netbook can handle as the unit and its viewing/input screen can be manipulated in an infinite manner.
They are simply a vessel, the apps are where the magic happens.

Last edited by mullman; 03-26-2011 at 10:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 11:19 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times
just my 2 nickels but i think they are for the road and not meant to take the place of a computer. they make waiting time (at airports, on trains, etc) into productive time

disclaimer: i did not read 30 posts

Old 03-26-2011, 12:38 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
just my 2 nickels but i think they are for the road and not meant to take the place of a computer. they make waiting time (at airports, on trains, etc) into productive time

disclaimer: i did not read 30 posts
Yes, you are correct. Tablets in general (not only the iPad) can be used as you have said, without having to carry a very expensive laptop, or just for accomplishing tasks when you don't want to use a computer. For example:

a. To direct the environmental controls of one's modern home. One can use it to control the thermostats, lighting, window shades, AC, heating, alarm system, sprinkler system in the yard, and so forth. One can use it to control the music system throughout the home, and so forth.

b. To surf the Net, check/write e-mail, make bank transactions, to communicate in Facebook, Tweeter, and so forth. To remotely start your car outside, or just lock/unlock the doors, etc. To listen or to download music, photos, etc.

c. As a business tool for a realtor to show a home, a building, etc. To enter and record data if a computer is not available nearby. To conduct a tele-conference using the built-in cameras, etc.

d. To record a lecture or class at school, to record patients information at a hospital or clinic...

Tablets are not meant to replace computers, and are here to stay. In fact, the tablet market is quite good at the moment since several manufacturers are competing with each other, just like what happened when Apple introduced the iPhone years ago. Just look at all the smart phones out there today, which is only good for the consumer. The more choices to pick from, the cheaper deals we get. Right now the iPhone G3 is offered for $49.00, the original Android's price dropped from around $500.00 to just a fraction of that in two years

Now computer manufacturers are producing touch-screen desktop computers that look like the iPod Touch and iPad (the whole computer is behind the screen), or just computers like the iMac (without touch screens). Even the Windows 7 screen behaves and looks like Mac OSX 10.6. It can only get better

Old 03-26-2011, 08:35 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
This thread is getting off subject. It has become a discussion of the original iPad, not the iPad2. I was expecting a rundown of how the 2 is not much of an improvement over the original. But for my 2 cents: It is priced lower than a lot of competing products, so it will retain its lead.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:43 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
This thread is getting off subject. It has become a discussion of the original iPad, not the iPad2. I was expecting a rundown of how the 2 is not much of an improvement over the original. But for my 2 cents: It is priced lower than a lot of competing products, so it will retain its lead.
Here is the answer. Why didn't you just do a simple search relating to the differences between the two tablets?:
Ask TeensTalkTech: What's The Difference Between the iPad and iPad 2? | Tips And Tricks

Old 03-26-2011, 10:07 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
The point of the device is to make money, which I would say it has done in spades.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 03-26-2011 at 10:47 PM..

Old 03-26-2011, 11:01 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
No I do not have one and won't. I'm just not a fan and honestly have no practical use for them.

No, brand or OS has nothing to do with it. There is an increasing amount of poor quality software being allowed on apple's app store. They just simply want their cut off the sales. The popular apps that most people use are fine. Its these new apps that unqualified people are coding and being allowed to publish that are junk. You may never get one of them but then again you may see a new app you just have to try next week and you will see what I mean. If you are careful about what apps you download and install, you most likely will never get one. I have friends that have written apps but it just isn't my thing. I just don't see where my phone needs to do all that crap. I like to make phone calls on a phone and do computing on a computer. I also despise trying to surf the web on a phone sized screen. The size of the iPad makes it much more suitable for internet use but I just have no need for one.

The apple fans sure are a boisterous bunch. When someone asks for opinions and you come out negative against an apple product the fans circle the wagons and come out firing. I'm a Windows and Linux guy but if you post something negative about either one I don't get all rambunctious about it. I may even agree with the points made as Microsoft does some really stupid stuff sometimes (think Vista....wow what a piece of crap) but they always fix it and make it better (Windows 7....very nice OS).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
I've been taking in too many espressos...

I saw a guy with the Ipad2 and a keyboard and a very serious looking leather case surfing the web.

If you've got HOURS to kill, wouldn't say a MacBook Air be a better choice?

It's essentially a giant Iphone and when you can see the fingerprint grease reflecting the sunlight off the screen.

I just don't get the Ipad. It is good for showing photos to grandparents (they just swipe) and I've had a few vendors, reps use it for presentations, but it's boxed out by a laptop and an Iphone in most cases...yet I kinda want one, but have no idea when I'd use it.
Ya know,,, what I don't get? People who start a thread or complain / point fingers at another group or some other device. Cause what I see a lot in this thread are quite a few people blabbering insinuations and/or opinions, as if they were facts. If per the first quoted post above, where are all the Apple fan boys' threads and posts that claim the iPad is THE best, being "boisterous"? And then the OP,,, starting a thread, just to point out that in YOUR opinion, for YOU, the iPad is pointless. I don't need one, nor want one myself either,,, just like I don't need a dump truck or a 4-wheeler or a moped or a snowmobile... neither of these are what I want for transportation, yet there are many people who buy such, cause THEY need or want such. Does that make them "boisterous"? Or is it their problem that others "don't get it", why they have them either? Good fricking grief. Sure, to some, the iPad [original or #2, and other touch screen tablets] may be a social status symbol,,, but to many others, it is a very useful tool. So, deal with it, and move on.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:19 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,841,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Ya know,,, what I don't get? People who start a thread or complain / point fingers at another group or some other device. Cause what I see a lot in this thread are quite a few people blabbering insinuations and/or opinions, as if they were facts. If per the first quoted post above, where are all the Apple fan boys' threads and posts that claim the iPad is THE best, being "boisterous"? And then the OP,,, starting a thread, just to point out that in YOUR opinion, for YOU, the iPad is pointless. I don't need one, nor want one myself either,,, just like I don't need a dump truck or a 4-wheeler or a moped or a snowmobile... neither of these are what I want for transportation, yet there are many people who buy such, cause THEY need or want such. Does that make them "boisterous"? Or is it their problem that others "don't get it", why they have them either? Good fricking grief. Sure, to some, the iPad [original or #2, and other touch screen tablets] may be a social status symbol,,, but to many others, it is a very useful tool. So, deal with it, and move on.
Well you know this is a discussion forum. If we did not post our opinion and discuss it then what you would have hear is tons of threads with only one post...that of the original poster. Is THAT what you want? If so, you do not need to visit here, you should be going to a news or reviews site where the author posts his/her opinion and you cannot reply. Good god, people that come to a discussion site and then ***** because someone is posting their opinion and discussing it with others is just plain silly. If you do not like reading differing opinions, you are in the wrong place.

Some of what I say, I am just kidding or being sarcastic such as the comment about them being "boisterous." Of course some can't find humor in anything because they take it all too literal.

If I don't get why a lot of people buy them, I can say that. If I think they are about useless, well I can say that too. What you don't realize is that from this discussion everybody learns something. See I had no idea they were so useful to real estate agents. Once that was pointed out I can see that makes sense.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:54 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,768,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
. . .
Some of what I say, I am just kidding or being sarcastic such as the comment about them being "boisterous." Of course some can't find humor in anything because they take it all too literal. . .
Emoticons are your friends....

Honestly, I couldn't tell you were doing the sarcastic thing. Even a j/k would help. The general tone of your comments seem quite serious, at least to me. In my opinion situations like this are why smilies were born.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:25 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,841,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Emoticons are your friends....

Honestly, I couldn't tell you were doing the sarcastic thing. Even a j/k would help. The general tone of your comments seem quite serious, at least to me. In my opinion situations like this are why smilies were born.
You are right, I have a bad habit of not ever using emoticons or acronyms. I have been told many times I have a dry sarcastic type of humor and oddly enough it comes through in my posts. People often peg me as a smart aleck until they get to know me or friends tell them I am just joking or messing with them. I am one of those that makes a wise crack, and I am only kidding around, but keep a straight poker face.

I will admit that I like to poke at the Mac guys because it is so easy to get them stirred up. I get a few laughs out of some of their reasoning and how they defend them but everyone has to admit that someone always learns something out of these types of threads. I have looked at Mac's while shopping for computers myself but just can't talk myself into paying price. I can't justify it in my head but that is just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets