Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2011, 02:24 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,609,356 times

Advertisements

getting one for an xmas gift......any ideas on a good one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 05:12 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,986,452 times
I'm wondering too. Is it the same thing as a "nook". ANyhow are they essentially electronic books?

Old 10-22-2011, 10:39 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,871,386 times
I've had a Kindle - in one version or another - since they first came out, and I love mine. I have the newest Touch on order (they don't ship until mid-November).

Most all of the e-book readers share one common issue - they use some form of DRM (digital rights management) which makes it difficult to move books from one non-related reader to another. You can't sell or trade e-books or buy used (not legally, anyway). A couple of the e-readers allow you a limited way of sharing the books with other e-readers of the same brand, as long as the publisher of the book has allowed the option, and there are a bunch of caveats, meaning it's limited in use.

The Kindle and the Nook (and probably the Sony) allow you to check out library books if your library is part of one of the big e-book library networks.

You can send your own documents, in certain formats, to your reader.

The e-readers do one thing well - let you read books and documents. They don't promise to be all things and then do only some of them well (I am looking at you, iPad - a device I will not be replacing when it finally dies).

The pluses on e-readers:
-- Most of them are e-ink, which is much easier on the eyes than a backlit or LCD screen. E-ink can be easily read in bright sunlight, but, like a regular book, takes a booklight to read in the dark. E-ink is very easy on the battery, my Kindle lasts well over a week on a charge even with heavy use.
-- The ability to carry a large number of books at a time means that I no longer need the separate case for books while traveling.
-- Very light weight, easy to hold in one hand, can be read in any position. Unlike a laptop, it's not unwieldy, never gets hot and there is zero noise. I admit to reading in the bathtub with mine and I've never had a problem.
-- The ability to adjust font and font size is of incalculable value to me, as I have an eye disease that makes my vision fluctuate during the day.

For me, the reason I stick with Kindle is:
-- I have nearly 1,000 books, many of them free, that I have collected in Kindle format in the last 4+ years. A majority, but certainly not all, of them have come from Amazon, but there are other sources as well.
-- Kindle sharing. I have a Kindle, as does my husband, son, daughter-in-law. We all share books in one account. I also have the app on my iPad and my Android smartphone.
-- "Whispersync" which I believe is 3G from Sprint, allows me to download books anywhere in the US that I get a signal. Most devices download via wireless.

There are several discussion in the Entertainment--> Books forum here on CD.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:41 AM

16,588 posts, read 19,803,163 times
For JUST "e-book" reading I would got with the base Nook or the NON-AD Supported Kindle for $109. Don't fall for that cheap price of $79. That version includes ads that will certainly get old fast.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:08 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,681,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
For JUST "e-book" reading I would got with the base Nook or the NON-AD Supported Kindle for $109. Don't fall for that cheap price of $79. That version includes ads that will certainly get old fast.
I agree and would buy the $109 version myself, however I did read that you can just pay the $30 difference to remove the adds later if you decide you don't like them, so if you are on a budget it might be worth getting the $79 model, and buying out the adds later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets