Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 02:09 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times

Advertisements

I had the weight wrong - the Surface is slightly heavier than the Ipad. But it is slightly thinner.

I think it IS innovative and appears that Microsoft sweated the details - which is something Apple normally does well. The kickstand, the magnesium case, etc. - those are details. Let also note that the Surface doesn't need any ridiculous dongles for USB like the iPad does.

My personal opinion is that thinness is overrated - and I find that the iPad MUST have a case to be reasonably protected.

As for apps - Microsoft can make this work - Windows 8 for the tablet is far more similar to W8 for the PC than IOS is to Mac OS. So Microsoft can make a compelling case to developers to develop for both. Someone who needs processing power can choose the Pro tablet based on Intel instead of the ARM processor. Will Microsoft get the app community going? Who knows. But that is how Microsoft blasted OS/2 and Apple twenty years ago.

As for pissing off the OEMs - they may not be happy right now. But Dell and HP are otherwise doing zero for tablets including Android. They will get huge support from Microsoft as they always do. It is up to them to innovate and do something interesting. I will be interested to see what Lenovo does with a Thinkpad version. Lets remember the OEMs can't play in the Apple space at all since Apple is 100% proprietary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 02:10 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
You really think WM7 was well received? I so wanted a compelling Windows mobile device that was well received (I was a hugh Windows CE/Windows Mobile 6.5) because it's easy to build apps for it, but there isn't any and I don't think MS is structured to win with this model. MS is a SW company and their previous attempts at HW (Zune, Xbox) have been huge failures (Xbox failure in that it's never made any real money).
Just to be clear I meant WP7 - better realized by Nokia recently. I think the software was better than the hardware before the Nokia.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:45 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I had the weight wrong - the Surface is slightly heavier than the Ipad. But it is slightly thinner.

I think it IS innovative and appears that Microsoft sweated the details - which is something Apple normally does well. The kickstand, the magnesium case, etc. - those are details. Let also note that the Surface doesn't need any ridiculous dongles for USB like the iPad does.

My personal opinion is that thinness is overrated - and I find that the iPad MUST have a case to be reasonably protected.

As for apps - Microsoft can make this work - Windows 8 for the tablet is far more similar to W8 for the PC than IOS is to Mac OS. So Microsoft can make a compelling case to developers to develop for both. Someone who needs processing power can choose the Pro tablet based on Intel instead of the ARM processor. Will Microsoft get the app community going? Who knows. But that is how Microsoft blasted OS/2 and Apple twenty years ago.

As for pissing off the OEMs - they may not be happy right now. But Dell and HP are otherwise doing zero for tablets including Android. They will get huge support from Microsoft as they always do. It is up to them to innovate and do something interesting. I will be interested to see what Lenovo does with a Thinkpad version. Lets remember the OEMs can't play in the Apple space at all since Apple is 100% proprietary.

That's the thing, there is nothing really new here, nothing radical, nothing that would be like a meteor hitting the earth and changing life as we know it (like the iphone and ipad did). It's a "yeah we sorta look like the market leader" and "where Microsoft, that's why they will come"....Not going to work. I can get all the stuff I want (and I am sure Apple realized that the few thousand people who care about a usb and microsd slot are dwarfed by the millions who simply don't care about that).

I truly think if Bill were running MS things would be different and he would pull some sorta move like he did in the late 80s when he ciphned off all of Digital Equipments top OS devs in order to create what we now know as the Windows kernel. Brilliant and a totally imperialistic move. Tweaking features doesn't work. The Asus transformer was supposed to kill the ipad but where is it now (I have the transformer, it's cool, but nothing compared to my ipad 3, which I use daily- and I am an engineer/dev). It's a much more elegantly designed product, and I'm afraid Apple has been doing elegance since day one. Microsoft has been trying to do it for like 10 years (if you go back to the boxy Zune).

What's amazing is that you have an entire generation of people who don't care about Microsoft and consider it their parent's computer company- Apple is what's hot and seems to will be that way for some time.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:00 PM

500 posts, read 571,996 times
Microsoft had a tablet computer over a decade ago. It failed so badly that most people aren't aware it ever existed and think Apple invented the tablet. Also interesting to note is that Microsoft, even a decade ago, wasn't the first to come up with a tablet computer. Another company called Go Computing was the favored tablet maker then. If I recall, the founder of that company was extremely bitter towards Microsoft claiming they had used unethical tactics to put them out of business.

Microsoft Tablet PC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-19-2012, 08:30 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlines View Post
Microsoft had a tablet computer over a decade ago. It failed so badly that most people aren't aware it ever existed and think Apple invented the tablet. Also interesting to note is that Microsoft, even a decade ago, wasn't the first to come up with a tablet computer. Another company called Go Computing was the favored tablet maker then. If I recall, the founder of that company was extremely bitter towards Microsoft claiming they had used unethical tactics to put them out of business.

Microsoft Tablet PC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The tablet PC didn't fail bad at all. It's an extremely successful product. It's just not popular on the consumer market. I don't know where you're getting your facts from, but you're wrong.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:33 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
The thing that this tablet has going for it is that it is configurable with an i5 that can run Windows desktop software. It has the potential to eliminate having both, a desktop/laptop and a tablet. It also has ports/expansion options that make it more versatile than iPads and Android tablet.

I see it taking marketshare from Android tablets more than from iPads. Android tablets haven't been as well received as iPads.

Anyways, I'm open to trying it out before knocking it. I already suspect I'll hate the keyboard.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:58 PM

500 posts, read 571,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The tablet PC didn't fail bad at all. It's an extremely successful product. It's just not popular on the consumer market. I don't know where you're getting your facts from, but you're wrong.
What 'facts' do you dispute? Do you have sales numbers, profit margins, etc. for the early Microsoft tablet to share? If not, I think I'll go with Bill Gates own words:

"In 2002, Microsoft founder Bill Gates said these early tablet ventures were "almost painful to recall,""

From: Microsoft's long and tortured history in tablets - Yahoo! Finance

Old 06-20-2012, 04:15 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
I like the included keyboard. With the iPad you have to pay a lot extra to get one. Same thing with the built-in stand. Have to pay a lot extra for a case for the iPad. If it runs regular Windows software then there will be plenty of apps. Sounds good to me. I love the iPad but my main beef with it is all the extra money I have to spend to use it.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:21 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I like the included keyboard. With the iPad you have to pay a lot extra to get one. Same thing with the built-in stand. Have to pay a lot extra for a case for the iPad. If it runs regular Windows software then there will be plenty of apps. Sounds good to me. I love the iPad but my main beef with it is all the extra money I have to spend to use it.
If you buy Apple version of these products... o wait. APple doesn't sell Apple version of these products.
I will never understand that company.
They sell ONE and ONLY ONE cover at the Apple Store.
They don't even sell a keyboard. Ridiculous.

What astounds me is how very few people are even aware there are ALREADY Windows tablets on the market.
Asus makes a nice one, but too expensive if you ask me.

"The world's most powerful tablet"....
ASUS - Eee Families- ASUS Eee Slate EP121

I5, and a 12 inch screen with Windows 7.
Has a stylus, too. What exactly did Microsoft invent again???
Hell, if I was Asus I might sue...

Only thing missing is a kickstand.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:13 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Only thing missing is a kickstand.
Looks like from the pic you can just buy a second one and use that as a kickstand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets