Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 02:30 AM

51 posts, read 219,803 times

Advertisements

My 9 y/o cousin is getting a used (I think and hope) Kindle Fire for Christmas. If it's a used Kindle Fire, then it's the older one from 2011. I'm not familiar with the Kindle Fire, but can't those be used to browse the internet? If so, shouldn't some sort of software be placed on it so that the kid doesn't get into stuff he shouldn't be getting into? Considering that he's emotionally/mentally disturbed, I can only imagine what kinds of things he'll end up getting into and what kind of further damage it will do to him.

Is there a program or something that can be placed on there? I don't know why I'm the only one in the family thinking about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 08:48 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,713,440 times
Nothing built into it. You'd need an app:
Amazon.com: Parental control

Old 02-11-2013, 06:35 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,137,749 times
Thumbs up Parental control - yes. Otter Box - yes!

My son and his wife bought their 7 yr. old daughter and 4 yr. old son Kindle Fire HD 8.9 tablets for Christmas for books and movies for now. They set the parental control option to not allow them on the internet at all.

Another 12 yr. old granddaughter has the Kindle Fire that you are considering and that I currently own. It, too, has a parental control setting under the general settings. It can be toggled On or Off. ("Restricts purchasing, content types, web browsing and access to other features.") I do not know if once it is set if a child could tamper with it somehow and reset it. In the case of my 12 yr. old granddaughter, my son has set it with an administrator password so that only he can change any settings after signing in. Pretty secure, I'd say.

On another safety note, the two younger grandchildren - different son - have otter box cases on their Kindles, which make the Kindles almost indestructible!! You can view them here:

Amazon.com: OtterBox Impact Case for iPhone 3G/3GS - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Hope this helps. They are great tablets for young people to encourage reading.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Absolutely safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets