Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 01:02 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,463,666 times

Advertisements

Who's into jailbreaking? Why do you do it and what did you learn from it? What did you jailbreak? For those who are dead set against it, what are the reasons why you would never jailbreak your device? Would you ever consider it at all or would you stand your ground and say never?

I have only performed one jailbreak, and it was on my Apple iPod. I did it just to see how easy it was, and then I restored it back to factory the very next day. I'll admit that I didn't have it jailbroken long enough to really understand what I could get from Cydia - I just thought it was a lot of "stuff" that could possibly brick my device. Plus, I don't really use my iPod for more than listening to Podcasts and occasional music in my car.

So, anyway, I've discovered that Apple products aren't the only products that can be jailbroken. PS3s and Nintendo Wiis can be jailbroken - I'm sure XBox 360s can be as well. I just watched a Podcast on rooting the Samsung Galaxy S3. I haven't performed any jailbreak on my game consoles or phone - mainly because I don't have the money to go out and replace those systems if I brick them and I use those systems on a regular basis. So what so you? Are you a jailbreaker or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 09:20 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,824,805 times
Jail-breaking is a way to get access to full control of your device.
Most people think that once they purchase a gadget, they own it, and have the right to override any factory usage constraints. What if you bought a car with a roisterer system, but then you found out the FM was disabled and the DVD player would play DVDs sold only by the car's manufacturer???

Jail-breaking (or rooting) is the way to override the factory limitations. It has gotten more and more popular as more and more devices are manufactured with useful capabilities, that are then disabled by the factory at the request of the distributor, (usually the cell phone service provider like Apple or Verizon etc).

My first experience was a classic example. When I got my first 'smart phone' with a camera, (A Motorola Razor), I was supremely annoyed to find out that despite how easy it was to take pictures, the only way that Verizon allowed copying those pictures to my computer was as attachments to email. EXPEN$IVE !!!
The phone came with a USB data cable that provided for contacts / calendar sync'ing, but the phone didn't have a way to transfer any file over the cable. ... or so it seemed.

Some phone hacking group made a phone-hack program that allowed the user to access phone-settings not visible to the ordinary user, to make changes to hidden settings. I changed ONE setting from "no" to "yes" withing the phone, and Presto! file transfer was a snap. Another benefit was that this capability allowed me to do a full contents back-up of my phone to my PC.
The same for "Vibrate on Call". For some reason I never learned, Verizon had Moto ship the phones with this feature disabled. Ever need to leave your phone on, but still want to go to a meeting or see a movie??? The hack program allowed me to flip that switch too.

I just got a new advanced smart phone from Samsung and will certainly look into rooting it, because it came with many, many bloatware programs. All sorts of 3rd party programs and utilities that I'll never use, but take up space in the main phone memory (they can't even be shifted to a SD card!), and bloat out the Apps listing. It's as bad as some laptops I've seen, but at least with those, you can do program-uninstall. Not with an unrooted phone. However, once it's rooted, I can uninstall them, no problem.

Finally, I understand and agree with your concerns about violating the warrantee and/or bricking the phone during rooting, but consider this: First, the warantee actually is for a pretty short time. Next, the rooting utilities I've seen have pre-root backups that should assure against bricking.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:21 PM

52 posts, read 76,106 times
I rooted my Galaxy S 3 to restore my apps I ran on my old Captivate. I didn't want to have to start over with the many games I have.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets